A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lucali; has anyone come close?  (Read 87171 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: Lucali; has anyone come close?
« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2020, 11:39:16 AM »
He shared a recipe with a vlogger... here's a youtube link to the time where his text message including recipe is on the screen:

https://youtu.be/0t-TxE64HjA?t=131

Seems to be right on with 60% hydration, 0.5% yeast, 1.67% evoo, and 2Tbsp salt for 1587.57g flour.  (Not sure what kind of salt he's using, so I didn't convert).  My guess would be kosher or sea salt.

I only use Kosher salt in my dough and I am not basing it on any scientific reason.  I guess years ago I was inspired by Alton Brown's episode on making pizza and he used Kosher salt.  My dough recipe is as follows but sometimes it varies.  Sometimes the hydration I go up to 59% or the yeast changes a bit.  Or if I do a calzone it may very a little but basically this is the ballpark.

Flour (100%):    400.17 g  |  14.12 oz | 0.88 lbs
Water (59%):    236.1 g  |  8.33 oz | 0.52 lbs
IDY (.30%):    1.2 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.4 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
Salt (1.80%):    7.2 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
Oil (1.15%):    4.6 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.02 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
Total (162.25%):   649.28 g | 22.9 oz | 1.43 lbs | TF = 0.09

Offline jadamczyk22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #261 on: December 28, 2020, 01:27:28 AM »
Was he implying that he uses the Del Monte tomato sauce in house? I've never tried it before.

hahaha the home-oven asian girl seems to make a better result with his guidance than most of the previous attempts on here before this video was posted

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2020, 05:20:18 AM »
hahaha the home-oven asian girl seems to make a better result with his guidance than most of the previous attempts on here before this video was posted

I think a 3 would be generous.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #263 on: December 28, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »

I think a 3 would be generous.

You mean for the pizza, right? ;)

Matt

Offline Nathan Bateman

• Just here to learn, man.
« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2021, 07:55:36 PM »
So, here's my latest Lucali-style pie. Worked with some of the key characteristics of the Lucali-style dough, ie. very low hydration and no oil.

For this iteration, I ended up reducing the salt content and switching out ADY with my active sourdough culture. Note that I started making this dough Thursday of last week - I felt so bad rolling all that fermented goodness out of the dough. Definitely not identical to Lucali's, Mark is undoubtedly using commercial yeast, but I still found it familiar and overall excellent. No sourness or lactic acidic flavour - very subtle complexities.

I can't stress enough how thankful I am of this community. I owe so much to the members of the community who laid the groundwork before I got here.

Regards,

NB
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:00:12 AM by Nathan Bateman »

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2021, 10:35:58 PM »
I only use Kosher salt in my dough and I am not basing it on any scientific reason.  I guess years ago I was inspired by Alton Brown's episode on making pizza and he used Kosher salt.  My dough recipe is as follows but sometimes it varies.  Sometimes the hydration I go up to 59% or the yeast changes a bit.  Or if I do a calzone it may very a little but basically this is the ballpark.

Flour (100%):    400.17 g  |  14.12 oz | 0.88 lbs
Water (59%):    236.1 g  |  8.33 oz | 0.52 lbs
IDY (.30%):    1.2 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.4 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
Salt (1.80%):    7.2 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
Oil (1.15%):    4.6 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.02 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
Total (162.25%):   649.28 g | 22.9 oz | 1.43 lbs | TF = 0.09
I'm sure that will recipe will yield a nice dough, but Mark has stated very clearly in the past that he uses no sugar or oil in his dough. I think he just gave her a recipe that he said would make a dough, not really his dough. But I've probably said the same thing in the past, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2021, 02:58:44 AM »
Nathan...that looks really, really close !

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2021, 03:46:27 AM »
I detected zero sugar.   No oil makes sense, as it does take away crisp at bake times that are being used.  It was a little on the chewy side too.   But, could have had 2 percent or less and it wouldnt have been majorly different.

Offline Frank Cozzo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2021, 04:00:37 AM »
That looks fantastic Nathan, could you please share your recipe?

Don't worry about rolling out the goodness from the starter, you got a great result

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2021, 09:40:46 PM »
Baker's Percents?

What temp/time did you bake at?

So, here's my latest Lucali-style pie. Worked with some of the key characteristics of the Lucali-style dough, ie. very low hydration and no oil.

For this iteration, I ended up reducing the salt content and switching out ADY with my active sourdough culture. Note that I started making this dough Thursday of last week - I felt so bad rolling all that fermented goodness out of the dough. Definitely not identical to Lucali's, Mark is undoubtedly using commercial yeast, but I still found it familiar and overall excellent. No sourness or lactic acidic flavour - very subtle complexities.

I can't stress enough how thankful I am of this community. I owe so much to the members of the community who laid the groundwork before I got here.

Regards,

NB

Offline igorpav89

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #270 on: January 17, 2021, 07:38:42 AM »
Anybody still wondering what he does with his sauce, you can see it in one of the videos posted on youtube, he uses the mash potato press to do the tomatoes :)

Video at:

You can see the potatoe press which he uses for a tomatoe sauce at 5:00 and around 5:40 in the video...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:40:31 AM by igorpav89 »

Offline Nathan Bateman

• Just here to learn, man.
« Reply #271 on: January 17, 2021, 12:10:21 PM »
Anybody still wondering what he does with his sauce, you can see it in one of the videos posted on youtube, he uses the mash potato press to do the tomatoes :)

Video at:

You can see the potatoe press which he uses for a tomatoe sauce at 5:00 and around 5:40 in the video...

The sauce is pretty easy to reverse engineer. Whole peeled Jersey plum tomatoes gently infused with basil and garlic. The sauce is cooked on low and left loose.

Regards,

NB

Offline igorpav89

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #272 on: January 17, 2021, 12:38:21 PM »

Regards,

NB

Care to share the formula, the pie looks amazing, one of the best ones i've seen here.

Offline Petran23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2021, 06:24:37 PM »
Hey guys.. 2 questions here.. In lucali style pizza do you form the dough balls before or after the fermentation process?
And the second question, Nathan it seems you came really close in that last effort.. Could you please share your recipe?
Thank you in advance

Offline jadamczyk22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2021, 11:11:03 PM »

Video at:

I think you posted the wrong video

Offline Flounder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #275 on: February 04, 2021, 03:54:55 PM »
Is it this video?    At 5:00 there is a strainer in the scene.  I've been to Lucali a bunch of times. I do love his pie and the sauce.  It's almost like a tomato soup.  With regards to the color - and this might be a long shot - but adding butter will give it a really light color and a silky texture.  Marcella Hazan has a sauce that uses butter and it's delicious.  I've never tried it on a pizza,though.  I would think if you strained whole tomatoes and added the water from the can and cooked them with garlic, basil, etc and added butter it would have that consistency and color.  I question the 5 hour cook too, though.  You'd have to a have a match under the pot for 5 hours not to turn it into a gloppy mess. 

I grew up a Sunday Gravy kid (and still am) my family is from that area of Brooklyn (we only buy our pork from "the pork store" featured in this video.  One of the running jokes in our family was that one of my aunts sauce was really runny and thin.  I'll have to call her up and get some tips!  :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 03:59:58 PM by Flounder »

Offline Petran23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #276 on: April 27, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »
Hello guys.. I've been experimenting lately on finding the right type of flour for the stretching of the dough.. I've already tried semolina, which is not my favorite because it alters the result, I tried the same flour I use in the dough, which is a high protein high gluten flour I found here in my country.. Neither my second option is working as I hoped.. I use the lowest amount I can but I still have some burnt flour at the bottom of the pizza.. Do you guys have another suggestion I should try?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #277 on: April 27, 2021, 08:47:41 PM »
Hello guys.. I've been experimenting lately on finding the right type of flour for the stretching of the dough.. I've already tried semolina, which is not my favorite because it alters the result, I tried the same flour I use in the dough, which is a high protein high gluten flour I found here in my country.. Neither my second option is working as I hoped.. I use the lowest amount I can but I still have some burnt flour at the bottom of the pizza.. Do you guys have another suggestion I should try?

Rice flour is great for stretching if you can find it
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline NewtoQ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2021, 09:07:56 PM »
Rice flour is great for stretching if you can find it
I use rice as my bench flour and semolina on my peel. Works great for me

Online ARenko

« Reply #279 on: April 28, 2021, 07:17:19 AM »

I use semola di rimacinata.  You can try rice flour as well.

wordpress