A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY Style sauce discussion  (Read 59946 times)

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Reply #520 on: December 21, 2018, 01:06:16 AM »
All of those freeze very well, with minimal loss of flavor.

Yup thatís what I do.  But I make one #10 can at a time. 
Jeff

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #521 on: December 21, 2018, 02:03:33 AM »
Yup thatís what I do.  But I make one #10 can at a time.

Why?

You can mix them to your liking and then just pull them out.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #522 on: December 21, 2018, 03:03:47 AM »
Why?

You can mix them to your liking and then just pull them out.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing.  I just donít like having a lot of sauce in containers in my freezer, for a few reasons - one of which being space.  For me, to mix letís say a can of 7/11s with a can of Alta Cucinas would yield more sauce than Iíd care to keep on hand.   
Jeff

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #523 on: December 21, 2018, 07:58:11 AM »
This is pretty well our limit and record here without adding another large stock pot. Not shown are 2 cans of diced pear tomatoes off to the right by our sink. I miss not making this big batch this year.

-Tony

Offline Makisupapoliceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #524 on: December 21, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »
I don't know, but I'm interested to see what people think as I'm a fan of Suprema too.

2 things I'll say:
If you want to replicate Suprema's flavor make sure to use a heavy amount of romano

I open #10 cans, portion and freeze them individually. So I have 7/11 and bonta frozen separately in small batches. This enables me to alter the mix from one bake to the next. (Though currently I'm just using strained 7/11.)

It is easily my favorite slice in the city, maybe all time

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #525 on: January 14, 2019, 07:36:00 AM »
Will hitting whole peeled tomatoes with a stick blender break up the seeds, or leave them whole so I can strain them out after?

Separate question, anyone simply add a tablespoon (or more/less) of paste to blended whole peeled?
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #526 on: February 10, 2019, 09:52:56 PM »
Anyone ever use white pepper? I don't recall even seeing white pepper before and have no idea what it tastes like.

I got the idea from the sauce recipe below that's on the Escalon website.

(It's also interesting to see them recommend the sauce sit for 12 hours.)

Matt

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #527 on: February 10, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »
Anyone ever use white pepper? I don't recall even seeing white pepper before and have no idea what it tastes like.

White pepper tastes similar to black pepper, but a bit mellower.  Iíve only used it when black pepper would create an unpleasant visual.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #528 on: February 11, 2019, 10:35:34 AM »

Thats a really odd recipe

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #529 on: February 11, 2019, 09:52:11 PM »
Thats a really odd recipe

What part? I don't know what the weights of ingredients should be for 3 #10 cans, but in relation to one another seems reasonable - salt then sugar then garlic then pepper. Don't know what a half oz of oregano looks like though.

Matt

Offline Josh123

« Reply #530 on: February 12, 2019, 03:02:39 PM »
What part? I don't know what the weights of ingredients should be for 3 #10 cans, but in relation to one another seems reasonable - salt then sugar then garlic then pepper. Don't know what a half oz of oregano looks like though.

Its 6 #10 cans. Thats way too little spice imo.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #531 on: July 04, 2019, 09:57:57 AM »
When I use canned whole peeled tomato, I use the tomato only, discarding the liquid that packs the can.

Does anyone think that pizzerias do this? I'm guessing that they wouldn't want to waste some of the product.

I'm going to open a can of Alta Cucina this weekend. I'm planning to stick blend the whole can, in the liquid. And freeze what I don't use (which will be most of the can). This will be my first time really using the liquid. And it's only my second time ever using Alta Cucina.

What do you think?

Matt

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #532 on: July 04, 2019, 10:53:43 AM »
Its 6 #10 cans. Thats way too little spice imo.
Plus 3 #10 cans of water. Like Emeril says, ďI donít know where you get your water but where I get mine it donít come seasoned.Ē

-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #533 on: July 04, 2019, 11:15:59 AM »
When I use canned whole peeled tomato, I use the tomato only, discarding the liquid that packs the can.

Does anyone think that pizzerias do this? I'm guessing that they wouldn't want to waste some of the product.

I'm going to open a can of Alta Cucina this weekend. I'm planning to stick blend the whole can, in the liquid. And freeze what I don't use (which will be most of the can). This will be my first time really using the liquid. And it's only my second time ever using Alta Cucina.

What do you think?
No NY expertise here. I agree that most pizzerias (most restaurants, for that matter) would not want to waste some of the product. I think they would be inclined to purchase whichever product most closely matches their needs. Wasted product is wasted money. I have a friend who owns a restaurant. I kid him that I will never see a banana in his place because he could not bear to throw away the peel. :)

In your Alta Cucina (which I have never had an opportunity to try) example, most likely I would have a small can of paste on hand to thicken or lend structure to the blended entire can of Alta Cucina tomatoes. That would probably be my second choice behind cooking it down to the desired consistency, which I understand is not common with NY sauces and, for many, any pizza sauce.  Third choice I would pour off and save some of the liquid, then add it back post-blend as I thought it needed, but this could still result in some discarded liquid. I have no idea on your seed questions. I stopped worrying about them years ago as I simply do not find any that survive to be objectionable.

When I find that I want to add liquid to a tomato sauce at home, I almost always use tomato juice rather than water. I might feel differently in a commercial pizzeria setting.

Good luck. Iím looking forward to hearing what you do and how you feel it worked.

-Tony

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #534 on: July 04, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »

What do you think?

If I'm using whole tomatoes, I usually reserve the liquid, crush or blend the tomatoes - whichever I want at the time - then add back whatever is necessary for the consistency I'm after.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline NY_Mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #535 on: July 10, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »
If I'm using whole tomatoes, I usually reserve the liquid, crush or blend the tomatoes - whichever I want at the time - then add back whatever is necessary for the consistency I'm after.

That's how I usually do it as well, except I'll go through a little bit of the pain staking effort of removing the whole tomato's from the can, slicing them in half vertically and removing the seeds. It doesn't get all of them but it does the job. After that process I'll process the whole tomato's to the consistency I'm looking for and then add back whatever's left in the can. I've never added water to my sauce, and I don't really care to either.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #536 on: July 10, 2019, 06:15:48 PM »
That's how I usually do it as well, except I'll go through a little bit of the pain staking effort of removing the whole tomato's from the can, slicing them in half vertically and removing the seeds. It doesn't get all of them but it does the job.

I used to do something similar. I'd break the tomato in a half over the sink to let the seeds out.

Now I stick blend them whole, then push it through a strainer to remove the seeds.

Matt

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #537 on: July 10, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »
I used to do something similar. I'd break the tomato in a half over the sink to let the seeds out.

Now I stick blend them whole, then push it through a strainer to remove the seeds.

I read somewhere that you should not blend whole (seeded) tomatoes because you run the risk of the blades cutting the seeds in half which releases a bitter flavor. Best to use a tomato strainer (food mill) instead.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #538 on: July 10, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »
I read somewhere that you should not blend whole (seeded) tomatoes because you run the risk of the blades cutting the seeds in half which releases a bitter flavor. Best to use a tomato strainer (food mill) instead.

Thanks Steve. I almost bought a food mill last weekend (was at a William's Sonoma outlet store), but I needed a compelling reason not to stick blend.

I will say that I have plenty of seeds after blending,  though certainly haven't done a before and after count  :-D

Anyone ever notice this bitter taste from blended seeds? Sounds like I may need to experiment.

Matt

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #539 on: July 10, 2019, 10:10:10 PM »
Thanks Steve. I almost bought a food mill last weekend (was at a William's Sonoma outlet store), but I needed a compelling reason not to stick blend.

I will say that I have plenty of seeds after blending,  though certainly haven't done a before and after count  :-D

Anyone ever notice this bitter taste from blended seeds? Sounds like I may need to experiment.
Seeds will change the taste of the sauce no matter what kind of sauce are making.  And I am not talking only about Pizza Sauce.
strain a few seeds and eat them .  Then think after a 2 hour simmer where that flavor is going to end up or 5 minutes at 600 f.

wordpress