A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Reverse Engineering DiFara's Pizzas  (Read 207503 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Reverse Engineering DiFara's Pizzas
« Reply #500 on: April 14, 2021, 02:59:19 PM »
For those who are interested, there is an interview of Maggie Mieles, who is the daughter of Dom DeMarco:

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #501 on: April 14, 2021, 07:16:45 PM »
It's been awhile since I've made one of these.

Offline foodiebuddha

• I Love Pizza!
    • Foodie Buddha - Not Any New Content
« Reply #502 on: April 14, 2021, 09:26:47 PM »
For those who are interested, there is an interview of Maggie Mieles, who is the daughter of Dom DeMarco:

Peter

thanks for posting. have you watched it yet? does Maggie get into any of the nuances of their process for making pizza?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/foodiebuddha/

Setup 1 - Breville Pizzaiolo - BPZ820
Setup 2 - Miele Gas w. 1/2" baking steel
Setup 3 - Ooni Gen 1

Offline nickyr

« Reply #503 on: April 14, 2021, 10:16:41 PM »
One more thing, when he pulls it out there is a lot of oil bubbling around.  Does he put a lot of olive oil during the pre-bake or does he put a little in the pre-bake then add a lot more during the second bake.  I can't tell from the videos. 

Thanks!
Sorry I missed this, but I donít know the answer. I always vote for more oil at every opportunity though :-)

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #504 on: April 14, 2021, 11:13:52 PM »
Sorry I missed this, but I donít know the answer. I always vote for more oil at every opportunity though :-)

I finally noticed in a video he puts oil (prob just enough or a little) for the pre-bake then after he lifts it up and puts a substantial amount in the pan after it has been pre-baked.  I tried that when I tried doing a DiFara square pizza.  The pizza looked like his but I was too lazy to take a picture and post it.  I will next time. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #505 on: April 15, 2021, 10:01:12 AM »
thanks for posting. have you watched it yet? does Maggie get into any of the nuances of their process for making pizza?
foodiebuddha,

I watched a part of the video but plan to watch the whole video this weekend.

Peter

Offline foodiebuddha

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #506 on: April 15, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »
foodiebuddha,

I watched a part of the video but plan to watch the whole video this weekend.

Peter

thanks Pete - i'll try and watch it too but if you get to it before i do - would love to know what kind of info is in it.

Setup 3 - Ooni Gen 1

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #507 on: April 18, 2021, 10:03:41 AM »
thanks Pete - i'll try and watch it too but if you get to it before i do - would love to know what kind of info is in it.
foodiebuddha,

Last night, I viewed the entire video featuring Maggie Mieles of DiFara's.

By way of background, Maggie is the middle child of seven DeMarco children (boys and girls). She has been involved since childhood in the DiFara business. Dom DeMarco is now 84 years old and apparently spends little time in the store these days. So, it appears that Maggie is now in charge of the business, which now includes a few pizzerias and a ghost kitchen. DiFara's also struck a deal with Goldbelly to ship frozen pizzas across the country.

In the video, Maggie discusses how they are coping with the Covid pandema and trying to find workers for their operations, which apparently has been a challenge.  All of their stores are currently limited to pick-up and delivery.

There is not much in the video in the way of discussion of the DiFara pizzas per se or how they are made. However, Maggie said that they continue to use the same recipes and related ingredients at all locations and to continue to do so even if the prices of those ingredients increase. The way that they assemble the pizzas will remain the same. One material change that she did mention was with respect to the frozen pizzas. Instead of shipping an 18-inch pizza, the amount of dough was adjusted to make two 12-inch pizza. I believe that I heard Maggie say that they cut the two pizzas in half to facilitate shipping. The two pizzas are the minimum shipping order.

I personally enjoyed the video but there is not much in it for people looking for secrets or even basic information about the pizzas themselves.

Peter

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #508 on: April 18, 2021, 10:03:44 AM »
One more thing, when he pulls it out there is a lot of oil bubbling around.  Does he put a lot of olive oil during the pre-bake or does he put a little in the pre-bake then add a lot more during the second bake.  I can't tell from the videos. 

This video might help to answer that question, starting at 0:48 in . He clearly puts a pretty good amount of oil in the pan at what appears to be a later stage of the bake, judging by the way he's able to pick it up. I can't say for sure how late in the bake that pie is, but it doesn't look especially dark to me. I've heard that he actually did a 3 or 4 stage process with his square pizzas.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #509 on: April 18, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
Note too, he uses two different oils.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline foodiebuddha

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #510 on: April 18, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
foodiebuddha,

Last night, I viewed the entire video featuring Maggie Mieles of DiFara's.

Peter

thanks peter for the in depth review - i look forward to watching it myself. Sounds like a good watch even in the absence of pizza making insights.

Setup 3 - Ooni Gen 1

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #511 on: April 18, 2021, 12:21:36 PM »
thanks peter for the in depth review - i look forward to watching it myself. Sounds like a good watch even in the absence of pizza making insights.
foodiebuddha,

Maybe I missed it in the video (there are parts where the quality of audio is not all that great, at least to my aging ears) but I did not hear anything from Maggie about her brother Dom Jr. who opened up a pizzeria in Nevada in 2010 that was inspired by his experience working with his father in the flagship store in Brooklyn:

https://nypost.com/2010/07/13/son-of-nyc-pie-master-opens-pizzeria-in-vegas/

I recalled briefly chatting with Dom Jr. when I made my visit to the flagship store. The Nevada location is still in operation:

https://www.domdemarcos.com/

But recent Yelp reviews do not give the high scores that the flagship store has gotten:

5-star 29%
4-star 27%
3-star 26%
2-star 7%
1-star 11%

Peter

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #512 on: April 18, 2021, 02:57:47 PM »
foodiebuddha,

Maybe I missed it in the video (there are parts where the quality of audio is not all that great, at least to my aging ears) but I did not hear anything from Maggie about her brother Dom Jr. who opened up a pizzeria in Nevada in 2010 that was inspired by his experience working with his father in the flagship store in Brooklyn:

https://nypost.com/2010/07/13/son-of-nyc-pie-master-opens-pizzeria-in-vegas/

I recalled briefly chatting with Dom Jr. when I made my visit to the flagship store. The Nevada location is still in operation:

https://www.domdemarcos.com/

But recent Yelp reviews do not give the high scores that the flagship store has gotten:

5-star 29%
4-star 27%
3-star 26%
2-star 7%
1-star 11%

Peter
You can tell just looking at the pizza on that website that it's not the same as the original. It might be very good, but it's definitely different.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline foodiebuddha

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #513 on: April 19, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »
Pete -
i had a short conversation with Dom back when my buddy took me there a few years ago - in all honesty, i think this is a classic example of "no real secrets just great execution". I'll see if i can dig up notes from that conversation but i doubt i took any TBH ... i wasn't into pizza making back then like i am now.

Setup 3 - Ooni Gen 1

Offline Frank Cozzo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #514 on: April 20, 2021, 11:55:04 AM »
Interesting Q&A from Scotts Pizza Tours, backs up what a lot of people have been posting about. Tomatoes from Parma, so looks like Mutti. Hit its peak in the early 2000's, recipe has changed.

https://www.scottspizzatours.com/blog/inside-di-fara-pizza-midwood-brooklyn/

Offline bertanderny

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #515 on: April 21, 2021, 04:44:40 AM »
Interesting Q&A from Scotts Pizza Tours, backs up what a lot of people have been posting about. Tomatoes from Parma, so looks like Mutti. Hit its peak in the early 2000's, recipe has changed.

https://www.scottspizzatours.com/blog/inside-di-fara-pizza-midwood-brooklyn/

Interesting to see that they combine whole tomatoes with passata - something backed up with this video here:
https://youtu.be/Yb9fuZ5Ade4?t=28

Might give this a try.

Offline CheeseMcSauceface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #516 on: June 06, 2021, 05:59:17 PM »
Here is my attempt at a Difara square pie. It is basically Craigís Difara dough but made with 70/30 Anna 00 flour and KASL. Par-baked at 500 with a little Sauce for about 5 mins. Put cheese Sicillian oregano and Sicilian olive oil on then baked again for 10 mins. Broiler was on to finish.

Offline CheeseMcSauceface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #517 on: June 06, 2021, 06:12:20 PM »
Oooops! I forgot the basil! :-[

wordpress