A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019  (Read 15794 times)

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2021, 05:49:08 PM »
Hello, pizza aficionados.
 A couple of things going on in this post. First, I got myself a new peel. 18X17. The same as the old one feels a little more chunky. American metalcraft on Amazon. Not too many choices for a short-handled peel this size. Next, the pie not too different from last Friday. Now for the money shot! Ultra-thin Brooklyn N.Y. Slice shot. I know a thing of beauty! Lastly, the 20oz. pyrex-ess containers. These will be the new freezer home for my dough balls. This will save me the step of freezing on a sheet pan then loading into a plastic bag, Additionally, extra added protection against freezer burn. The dough balls will still be wrapped in plastic film first.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2021, 06:01:55 PM »
When I make my dough to freeze, I measure all the ingredients, put salt and sugar (if used) in the water, and put the IDY and DMP (if used) in the flour and mix them up.
Then put in fridge for about an hour.
Put the mixer bowl and hook in freezer for an hour as well.
When combining everything I shoot for for a final dough temp of 65-70f.
Them make the balls, lightly oil them, and straight into the bread bag.
Flatten them to make a hockey puck out of them, and then into the freezer.
Those guidelines were from The Dough Doctor.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2021, 06:32:22 PM »

Flatten them to make a hockey puck out of them, and then into the freezer.
Those guidelines were from The Dough Doctor.

I only chill my utensils and ingredients for pie pastry. I find it hard to keep a nice 'hockey puck shape if I don't freeze them flat on a sheet pan. That is if they are only wrapped in plastic. So a freeze them flat then I put them all in an extra LG. zip bag. Until now. The new procedure will be to scale, oil, wrap in plastic then into the containers.

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #243 on: July 04, 2021, 06:30:11 PM »
The 4th of July 2021
I submit a plain pie for the grandkids.

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #244 on: July 20, 2021, 07:50:16 PM »
Still alive and well, every now and then I know it's kind of hard to tell, but I am still alive and well!

I submit the last two weeks of pizza pies. Hmm. I neglected to photograph last Friday's pie.

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2021, 05:29:57 PM »
Wow, just wow!
When a pizza turns out this good, it is almost a religious experience! Things are getting back to normal, plus at work, folks are coming back to their apartments after months/over a year for some. Personal obligations also keeping me busy.
 All that being said, I have to admit, I have had a monkey on my back since my last pie stuck to the screen. Not being a pro, is a real disadvantage in these situations. I was very apprehensive about this first post-fail bake. However, I am happy to report the freshly seasoned screen worked like a champ! This pie slid off like a San Fernando Valley mudslide! Smile...
#Feeling accomplished
I submit the standard Roadside Pie King Three Italian cheese pie.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #246 on: August 16, 2021, 05:30:21 PM »
Still alive and well, every now and then I know it's kind of hard to tell, but I am still alive and well!

I submit the last two weeks of pizza pies. Hmm. I neglected to photograph last Friday's pie.
You are full of surprises. Any fan of Derringer is a friend of mine. Lost track of how many times Iíve seen him (twice with Edgar) but itís a bunch.
-Tony

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #247 on: September 09, 2021, 01:58:08 PM »
You are full of surprises. Any fan of Derringer is a friend of mine. Lost track of how many times Iíve seen him (twice with Edgar) but itís a bunch.

One of the first concerts I went to was a free one. Central Park, Schaefer music festival. Rick Derringer solo. I love the Winter Brothers too.

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #248 on: September 09, 2021, 02:02:18 PM »
Freezer batch of dough. The latest version, 65% hydration @ .0763 TF. I am loving how easy this 2% less hydration dough handles.

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #249 on: September 17, 2021, 05:45:15 PM »
My wife's weight Watchers is throwing me off-kilter! I have a %$# load of pepperoni in the freezer. I am going to have to start making 1/2 pepperoni pies! These pie/slices look exceptionally sexy if I do say so myself!

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2021, 06:47:28 PM »
Hello, friends.
 This afternoon my bride and I took a quick walk on Mulberry street to get a few zeppoli. We hit up the first zeppoli vendor we came upon. This was more than likely a mistake. These things were not good at all. I would compare them to dense lead sinkers! I know the real Italian guys were around with the lite and airy variety. That being said, I am pretty sure I can make better ones than we had today!
Rant over...
Tonight's pie is a 1/2 pepperoni three Italian cheese, par for the course delight.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2021, 08:34:12 PM »
Lead zeppoli? 😂