A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 127457 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2018, 02:49:52 PM »
beautiful pie matt! the ratios/melt looks perfect.  what was the size of the pie, how much cheese and sauce?
jeff

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
Loving that melt and undercrust Matt! Your NY style is looking great these days and your dedication clearly shows in the finished product  :)
I'm also pleased to hear I'm not the only one on the board STILL endlessly tinkering with my pizza sauce  :-D  :D

Thanks Ryan, glad to see you back...look forward to seeing your latest experiments  :chef:
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »
beautiful pie matt! the ratios/melt looks perfect.  what was the size of the pie, how much cheese and sauce?

Thanks QD. The pie was basically 14", maybe as big as 14.25". Topped with a little more than 3/4 cup of sauce (probably 1/2-3/4 tbs more) and 9oz of cool shredded mozz.

I thought the sauce and cheese amounts were really good. Just needed a little thicker crust, particularly in the center. Its hard to judge from the pics though, looking at them now the pie appears thicker than it actually was.

Keep in mind that a thicker sauce could require more to get the right coverage.
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
Pretty good pie. Some changes from last time, but overall it was pretty similar.

Changes:

Increased sugar in the sauce a little bit again. - was good

All hard cheese was on top of the sauce, not in. - will comment below

Dough was 1-day CF - was good. Crumb was tight and my jaw was starting to get tired given the chew.

Increased salt to 1.73% - good, will do again.

TF increased to 0.0925 - good, will do again.

I put the oil in way late, after the ball was formed, not sure if it fully incorporated. Maybe that contributed to the chew.

For next time:
This may have had a bit too much sauce, or maybe needs more cheese.
I'm wondering about my use of Romano and Reggiano, thinking I may be better off only using one of them.
Top faster, reduce gum lime.
I'm starting to think about trying a bake longer than 7:30 again.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:52:19 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2018, 09:07:32 PM »
The thread below links to a great video showing many slices across the city, with many shots pre-bake that reflect sauce thinness and cheese amount.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52968.0

Peter commented that he hadn't seen a NY pizzeria dock its dough before, which I hadn't either.

Of course a couple days later I was in my local (mesh screen using) pizzeria and I recorded them using a docker - turned out it was only used on a white pie (no sauce). The manager I'm friendly with wasnt there, will ask him about it the next time I see him. I learned that my waitress was his niece, it's more of a family operation than I thought.
Link to the NYC slice tour video, then my screenshot of local dock usage below.

Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
Nice slices Matt!

I'm easing back into more sugar in my sauce too, I know it's mildly taboo but it seems like that's where a lot of the flavor pop comes from. With bitter components like oregano and olive oil it seems to help give it that nudge.

the proof is in the pizza

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »
Nice slices Matt!

I'm easing back into more sugar in my sauce too, I know it's mildly taboo but it seems like that's where a lot of the flavor pop comes from. With bitter components like oregano and olive oil it seems to help give it that nudge.

Forget about "rules" and do what tastes good.
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »
Forget about "rules" and do what tastes good.

I agree, do what tastes right to you and who you cook for! I like cheese and sea food and I could give a crap what ANYONE thinks about it......YUM!!!!!!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2018, 06:25:59 PM »
Nice slices Matt!

Yep. Think about how much sugar and salt is in prepared food. It'd be so easy for a pizzeria to dump both in, I don't see why they wouldn't.

Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2018, 01:26:34 AM »
I agree, do what tastes right to you and who you cook for! I like cheese and sea food and I could give a crap what ANYONE thinks about it......YUM!!!!!!

Tuna melts and lobster mac and cheese.  WTF?  Who can argue with that?
John

Offline Little bean

• Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2018, 07:15:58 AM »
Hey Matt, do you have any information on where that pizzeria gets those tins the dough is stored in, Iím having trouble sourcing good ones that donít let air in.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2018, 08:28:27 AM »
Hey Matt, do you have any information on where that pizzeria gets those tins the dough is stored in, Iím having trouble sourcing good ones that donít let air in.

I bought some here: https://www.katom.com/cat/pizza-dough-proofing-pans.html

I don't think any are absolutely air tight but my dough does not dry out using them.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Little bean

• Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »
I bought some here: https://www.katom.com/cat/pizza-dough-proofing-pans.html

I don't think any are absolutely air tight but my dough does not dry out using them.

Thank you Hans, I already bought some of those for sample and I wasnít a big fan, Iím looking for a commercial operation, and in my experience with those there is a 50 percent success rate with them locking tight.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2018, 05:00:03 PM »

Not sure. There are a couple availble through Bari

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2018, 08:41:42 PM »
Potential game-changing progress this weekend! I've been thinking (yet again) that putting my tomatoes through a blender is probably not a good idea. But I've been hesitant to buy a food mill, and for whatever reason, I guess I thought that was my only alternative. On another thread Quietdesperation said he pushed his tomatoes through a strainer, and Invertedisdead seconded that. Seemed easy enough to give a shot, and the results were terrific.

I pushed 7/11 through the strainer, and the result had the same look and thinness of the pizzeria sauces I've purchased. It was awesome. (See pic.)

Then I pushed just the tomatoes from a can of Cento San Marzano through, and the result was almost pure water. Next I tried the puree that was in the can of Cento. It looked fine, but the taste was horrible by comparison to the 7/11. It tasted like water with a bitter tin flavor.

Last I decided it was time to crack open a small retail-size jar of Tomato Magic. Tasted so good out of the jar. The result after pushing it through the strainer was notably thicker and darker in color compared to the 7/11. It tasted very similar to the 7/11, maybe a little richer, but I liked them both equally. (Note that the 7/11 was previously frozen while the Tomato Magic was fresh.)

I decided to mix the 7/11 and Tomato Magic for my sauce. I reduced the sugar way down, and otherwise went with my recent somewhat lower-oregano seasoning.

Change number 2 this week was I tested Romano vs Parm separately, each on top of the sauce respective halves of the pie. I liked the parm better. The Romano seemed too strong. But my view seems to change on this bake to bake.

Last, I increased the bake time to 8:20 (shout out to JKB's recent amazing slice that I think was at 9 minutes). Only the last 0:20 was directly on the stone. This was a nice improvement.

When forming the pie, I made more effort to really stretch the dough when I knuckle stretched. I have a tendency to go around and around, and gravity does too much of the work. Also, while I pushed down on the rim quite a bit to flatten it, I did shape it this week which helped keep the cheese from sliding onto it.

Negatives for this pie was a bit of cheese browning that I wasn't looking for, and some bubbles. Maybe a bit too much sauce, and probably still too much seasoning.
Positives, sauce consistency and resulting melt. Better stretched and baked crust.

Next time: Reduce the romano if I do a comparison again, probably try only strained 7/11, slight reduction in sauce, slight reduction in oregano, stick with 8:20 or longer the 0.0925 TF and everything else.

Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2018, 09:40:17 PM »
Nice one Matt, that undercrust looks awesome!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2018, 10:46:41 PM »
Man, Matt! Each of those pictures made me hungrier than the last. Excellent!
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2018, 10:48:44 PM »
Very nice!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Little bean

• Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2018, 10:14:17 AM »
really nice pie

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »
That is one of the best NY slices I have seen here in a while - nice work - what was the TF .095?
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

wordpress