A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New origins of pizza in New York  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: New origins of pizza in New York
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 08:51:44 PM »
Given Regas' upcoming lecture at the end of the month (not to mention his forthcoming book), I suspect that he wanted to hold back a lot of the information he would be presenting there, and that the podcast was/is more of an pre-release advertorial to drum up interest for them (it wouldn't surprise me if the book publisher paid SE to "interview" him) than an honest-to-goodness interview, and for that reason was intentionally limited in its scope.

Definitely possible. But even if the discussion wasn't about pizza or all the highlights from the book, I felt the discussion could have been more about Regas, his life, travels, jobs, other interests, has he written other books...

Offline jimk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 08:23:38 AM »
I'm willing to bet that pizza in my hometown of Chicago (NOT THAT DEEP DISH %$#!) goes back to the same general time frame. There's probably no documentation now, but we had Italians here from that era. Certainly pizza was made in the home, and was likely sold out the door from there, from Italian bakeries, Italian saloons, etc.

Online Chicago Station

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »
I'll be giving a presentation with Scott Wiener on the latest NYC pizza history discoveries tomorrow at 8 pm EDT. You will need to get a ticket to view the presentation via Zoom. Should be a very special event. Many descendants from early pizzeria families will be in the Zoom audience. If you don't want to spring for a ticket you can read about my discoveries on my blog posted in a week or so. Thank you.

Ticket link:
https://www.scottspizzatours.com/blog/rewriting-nyc-pizza-history-wed-sept-2/

Blog:
Pizzahistorybook.com

Peter W. Regas
Chicago, IL
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 05:37:49 PM by Chicago Station »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »
I'll be giving a presentation with Scott Wiener on the latest NYC pizza history discoveries tomorrow at 8 pm EDT. You will need to get a ticket to view the presentation via Zoom. Should be a very special event. Many descendants from early pizzeria families will be in the Zoom audience. If you don't want to spring for a ticket you can read about my discoveries on my blog posted in a week or so. Thank you.

Ticket link:
https://www.scottspizzatours.com/blog/rewriting-nyc-pizza-history-wed-sept-2/

Blog:
Pizzahistorybook.com

Peter W. Regas
Chicago, IL

I saw that event and it looks interesting. Unfortunately can't make it. Enjoyed listening to you on a Special Sauce podcast talking about the pre-Lombardi's pizza discovery. Welcome to the forum.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 10:59:23 PM »
Just to add one more step to the Gennaro Lombardi's genealogy, his grandfather Domenico was from Castellammare di Stabia (near Sorrento) and at the time of his death in Naples (21 May 1857) was recorded as a retired male nurse at a local hospital.

And his main occupation was a Saddlemaker - at least that's what's listed on his son's (Gennaro Lombardi) birth certificate.

Not a baker.  Not a pizza-maker...

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 04:41:53 PM »
Hey everyone.

I am very late to this, but does anyone know if Filippo Milone had a brother?

Back when I was doing some magazine/newspaper article searching, I came across a pizzeria named Luigino's Pizza alla Napoletana.

It was one of the very first mentions of pizza in The New York Times, appearing in "News of Food" in 1944.

In 1966 The New York Times, in "Directory of Dining" mentioned that it was perhaps the oldest pizzeria in the city.

Luigino's Pizza alla Napoletana was owned by Luigi Milone and his wife, Amalia Milone. Are they related to Filippo?

I found the store site information and sent it along to Scott Weiner (Scott's Pizza Tours) back in 2014-2015 to see if he came across pictures of it in the NYC Municipal tax archives....which have photos of old storefronts.

The shop was located at 147 West 48th Street, NYC. Block #1001. Lot 12.

I believe it closed in the early 1970's.

Wondering if anyone knows.

As an aside, I like seeing Max's Kansas City being mentioned in the second article. Max's Kansas City later went on to be, along with CBGBs, one of the earlier Punk and New Wave venues in New York City.

Have a good New Year everyone. --k
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 04:49:30 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Online Chicago Station

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 08:14:35 PM »
Hi Pizzablogger,

Regarding your post asking:

1) "I am very late to this, but does anyone know if Filippo Milone had a brother?"
Filippo Milone was born in Piano Di Sorrento (PDS) in 1862 after his parents were married in 1861 in PDS. The archives in PDS and Meta were searched for a brother between the years 1861-1900. No brother was found.

2) "Luigino's Pizza alla Napoletana was owned by Luigi Milone and his wife, Amalia Milone. Are they related to Filippo?"
No evidence they were related. Luigi Milone was born in Mercato San Severino in 1886 which is around 40 to 50km away from PDS. Btw, Luigi had at least two brothers Nicola and Gaetano who were also in the restaurant business in NYC. Gaetano owned a pizzeria, too. Luigi's wife Amalia was probably born in the city of Naples and married Luigi in 1912 in Italy. Her maiden name doesn't ring any bells either regarding Filippo. Luigi eventually died in Naples in 1964.

3) "I found the store site information and sent it along to Scott Weiner (Scott's Pizza Tours) back in 2014-2015 to see if he came across pictures of it in the NYC Municipal tax archives"
Correct. You can see the image here:
http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/detail/NYCMA~5~5~237765~511830?sort=borough%2Cblock%2Clot%2Czip_code&qvq=q:block%3D1001%20and%20lot%3D12;sort:borough%2Cblock%2Clot%2Czip_code;lc:NYCMA~5~5&mi=0&trs=1

Feel free to ask more history questions. I believe Luigi's pizzeria was a very significant pizzeria. I will be writing more about it on my blog before the summer.

Peter W. Regas
Chicago, IL
pizzahistorybook.com
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:17:45 PM by Chicago Station »

Online Chicago Station

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 04:25:21 PM »
"Thoughts on the Origins of Pizzerias in America and Chicago"
Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 7pm (Central) via Zoom

More information about this free pizza history presentation here:
https://culinaryhistorians.org/thoughts-on-the-origins-of-pizzerias-in-america-and-chicago/

Peter Regas
Chicago, IL
pizzahistorybook.com
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 04:31:03 AM by Chicago Station »

Online Chicago Station

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 05:08:58 PM »
Here's a link to my February 11, 2021 presentation on the origins of pizzerias in America (primarily NYC) and Chicago
https://fb.watch/3E1L5QRb39/

Short version:
Gennaro Lombardi did not establish the first pizzeria in the USA. The first verified pizzeria in the USA was established by at least 1894 at 59 1/2 Mulberry (Manhattan) by a man who probably previously owned a pizzeria in Naples. The first verified pizzeria in Chicago was Granato's at 907 W. Taylor in 1924. The original NYC pizzerias were established before 1908 by immigrants who primarily came from a Campania baking tradition. With the exception of Granato's, the original Chicago pizzerias were largely established in the post-prohibition tavern boom between 1940-1945 by owners who tended not to come from a Campania baking tradition. The differing styles we see today between NY pizza and Chicago thin-crust pizza are in part an echo of these original cultural differences.

On Thursday, May 13, 2021, at 7pm, there will be another free ZOOM presentation on the origins of Chicago deep-dish pizza.

Peter W. Regas
Chicago, IL
pizzahistorybook.com

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:14:27 PM by Chicago Station »