A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: For Neapolitan pizza, do you hand crush your tomatoes or use a stick blender?  (Read 4118 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
My guess would be a food mill of some sort. If I use a medium plate, mine is similar.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
I think one of the most common mistakes in Neapolitan pizza is using a sauce that is too thick. For my tastes, this is pretty close to ideal:

https://youtu.be/lm9U1dKNpZg?t=43

I too like to use a stick blender and thin out my sauce.  Anyone else notice the first pizza got roughly half the cheese the 2nd did?  Maybe someone ordered "less" cheese. 

Offline ARenko

I think one of the most common mistakes in Neapolitan pizza is using a sauce that is too thick. For my tastes, this is pretty close to ideal:

https://youtu.be/lm9U1dKNpZg?t=43
Sometime since I wrote that I stopped getting lazy and pretty much use the food mill each time now, and I do like it better - certainly easier to spread on the dough with a spoon or ladle.

Offline Santo

• I Love Pizza!
I like a food mill the best, but a stick blender is so much easier, that's what I usually use.

I used a fine mesh strainer on my sclafanis for last nights 5 hr NY pie and the sauce was so much better. I'd been using thicker sauces and i didn't realize it was holding me back. Obviously the stick blender is much easier and less of a mess. After stick blending, would you have to thin out the sauce? For a 28oz can of sclafanis, if i blend it, should i be adding water or oil to that to get it thinner? About how much per 28 oz can? And is there much of a difference in the end product between milling vs blending? Thanks.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress