A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: re-creating Scarr's pizza  (Read 16145 times)

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
re-creating Scarr's pizza
« on: October 08, 2019, 12:16:38 PM »
Has anyone had any luck cloning Scarr's recipe?  I've watched the BA "Making Perfect Pizza" recipe and it give some clues, but not enough.  From the video we know that hes using:

- some portion fresh milled flour
- non-bromated flour (maybe non-bleached too?)
- Biano Di Napoli tomatoes
- 775g to make a 19-20" pizza, (TF of between .0965 and .087)

Was thinking of adjusting my current NY dough recipe to the TF and subbing in 20% 'bolted' hard wheat from a local mill and see if that makes a difference...

any thoughts or ideas?

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
Re: re-creating Scarr's pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 10:32:35 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone is following, but I made the dough last night with an initial formulation of the following:

100% flour (85% KABF, 15% fresh milled 'bolted' hard flour)
62% water
2.75% fine sea salt
2.50% evoo
2% sugar
0.30% IDY

575g per 16-inch dough

doing a one day cold bulk ferment, then will ball up for another 2-days in the fridge

Offline TravisNTexas

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »
Looking forward to the pictures!
Cheers,
Travis

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »
I played around with a Scarrís style dough a few weeks ago as I wanted to do a side by side with my current/preferred dough formula and I think it came out pretty close.  Here is the formula/workflow I used if it would help you out. 

90% Bread flour (I used Central Milling/Power flour even mix)
10% Whole wheat (fresh mulled)
64% Water
3% olive oil
4% salt
0.8% Fresh yeast

24 hr cold bulk ferment, divide and ball, CF until needed or leave out 4 hrs at RT if using that day.  Bake at 550F deck temp for 5 mins.  I used Bianco crushed, grande mozz, oregano, parm, olive oil.

Dough weight is 775g for a 19Ē pie post bake.   

Hope this helps! 

Marlon

Offline Meatsweats86

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »
Great looking Pie bakeshack. Was that done on a stone or steel?

I've watched a lot of youtube videos and best pizza shows and Scarr's always comes up in the top 5 places. Would like to see this thread take off and get this re creation dialed in!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 02:47:54 PM »

Nice one Marlon..... Very nice!  :chef: 8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline readefoong

• Cheese Pizza, That's It
    • Reade's Cheese Pizza
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 02:49:20 PM »
Your pizza looks epic! Quick question: when you folded the slice to eat it, did the base crack? Keep up the great pizza.
Stay steezy, pizza people.
Reade

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
Thanks guys!  Also, donít be afraid of the higher than normal salt content.  Itís perfect to hold the dough together.  This was baked on a stone deck.

Your pizza looks epic! Quick question: when you folded the slice to eat it, did the base crack? Keep up the great pizza.

No crack when folded.  Here is a closer look of the folded slice.  It had a pronounced crunchy/crispy shell that  gives way to a tender interior.  Not much chew though since you donít have to really pull on it when biting on the slice. 

Sorry the pizza on the top portion is not the same pie.  Iím
Referring to the bottom pie at this picture. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:00:58 PM by bakeshack »

Offline readefoong

• Cheese Pizza, That's It
    • Reade's Cheese Pizza
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 03:05:31 PM »
Sick! Can't wait to try it out myself.
Stay steezy, pizza people.
Reade

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 09:21:54 AM »
here are the pics from this weekends attempt.  Overall it made a good pizza, although it definitely lacked the outside crunch that i recall from Scarr's.  I initially used 15% fresh milled grain, you could definitely see the difference in the raw dough (more color to it, brown flecks) but the fresh milled flour was 'bolted' so all the coarsest pieces were removed.  I think next time I'll use the kind with the bran and germ mixed in, i may also kick it up to 20%

One thing i was lacking was the char on the bottom (sorry forgot to include a pic of the underside), for my oven i generally pre-heat the steel for an hour to 500f, throw a pizza in to cook for 6 min and switch to broiler-only about 90 seconds into the cook.  I think i might let it sit on the steel for 2-3 min and then do the broiler for top color to see if that helps the bottom char.  That and my dough opening, shaping skills need to improve

second and third pics are a cheese/pepperoni/caramelized onion, the last pic is kale/pickled red onions with a calabrian chili cream base per Beddia's Pizza Camp

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 09:52:14 AM »
I played around with a Scarrís style dough a few weeks ago as I wanted to do a side by side with my current/preferred dough formula and I think it came out pretty close.  Here is the formula/workflow I used if it would help you out. 

90% Bread flour (I used Central Milling/Power flour even mix)
10% Whole wheat (fresh mulled)
64% Water
3% olive oil
4% salt
0.8% Fresh yeast

24 hr cold bulk ferment, divide and ball, CF until needed or leave out 4 hrs at RT if using that day.  Bake at 550F deck temp for 5 mins.  I used Bianco crushed, grande mozz, oregano, parm, olive oil.

Dough weight is 775g for a 19Ē pie post bake.   

Hope this helps! 

Marlon

Thanks!  I'll try this forumla out next time and see compares to my first run!  do you cook in a professional kitchen?  I'd love to crank out a 18 or 19-inch pie, but am constrained by a home oven and 17" square steel

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
4% salt?  You must be drinking a gallon of water afterwards!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
I figure itís like eating 2 pieces at 2%.  :P

Damn good looking pizzas. This one might be fun to try in the Ardore.
-Tony

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 06:58:40 PM »

Not salty at all. 

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 07:41:42 PM »
This looks very close. The dough skin in particular looks a lot like Scarr's. I wouldn't go up to 20% freshly milled. The video suggest white wheat for the fresh milled portion....

here are the pics from this weekends attempt.  Overall it made a good pizza, although it definitely lacked the outside crunch that i recall from Scarr's.  I initially used 15% fresh milled grain, you could definitely see the difference in the raw dough (more color to it, brown flecks) but the fresh milled flour was 'bolted' so all the coarsest pieces were removed.  I think next time I'll use the kind with the bran and germ mixed in, i may also kick it up to 20%

One thing i was lacking was the char on the bottom (sorry forgot to include a pic of the underside), for my oven i generally pre-heat the steel for an hour to 500f, throw a pizza in to cook for 6 min and switch to broiler-only about 90 seconds into the cook.  I think i might let it sit on the steel for 2-3 min and then do the broiler for top color to see if that helps the bottom char.  That and my dough opening, shaping skills need to improve

second and third pics are a cheese/pepperoni/caramelized onion, the last pic is kale/pickled red onions with a calabrian chili cream base per Beddia's Pizza Camp

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 07:44:16 PM »
Yea, because a jump from 2% or 2.5% to 4% is soooooo large in the context of all that flour and water.  ::)

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 07:45:45 PM »
Some people here bake by numbers and don't bake frequently/taste different things unfortunately. I have no idea where this idea that anything over 2.5% salt makes a salty pizza.

Not salty at all.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »
Some people here bake by numbers and don't bake frequently/taste different things unfortunately. I have no idea where this idea that anything over 2.5% salt makes a salty pizza.

The difference between 2% and 4% is probably close to the recommended amount of sodium for a person to eat in a day. (Without eating the entire pizza.)

Regardless, the perception of "saltiness" will vary based on the amount of sodium you generally eat. People build a tolerance for it...

Matt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 08:29:06 PM »
I took a stab at summarizing salt usage at Reply 9 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=58380.msg585546#msg585546

I suppose that if one uses no salt in the sauce, and the cheese is of a type that has little salt (such as a bufala mozzarella cheese for a Neapolitan style pizza) or the amount of cheese is on the low side, and there are veggies on the pizza, a 4% salt level in the dough might not be noticed on the palate.

Peter

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »
Some people here bake by numbers The "numbers" are a great place to start and don't bake frequently/taste different things unfortunately Most here bake frequently or they wouldn't be here. Many people here travel around the country/world tasting things. . I have no idea where this idea that anything over 2.5% salt makes a salty pizza. I don't think anyone has ever said anything over 2.5% makes a salty dough.  Everyone has their own tastes.  Personally, I don't want to notice the absence, or presence, of salt in the dough. But that is just me. And for me that is between 2% and 2.5% salt.  Everyone is allowed to have their own tastes.