A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: re-creating Scarr's pizza  (Read 16839 times)

Offline SuperTz

Re: re-creating Scarr's pizza
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2019, 09:37:17 AM »
I only made enough for 2 dough balls but Iíll try mixing again this weekend. Iím a big fan of this dough and again for me the salt wasnít an issue. This might me the tastiest pizza Iíve made to date and with Bakeshackís assistance Iíve made some pretty good pies over the past 6 months.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »
Awesome pies!  Same dough can be used to do Scarrís sicilian.  I hope you didnít have to drink a gallon of water after eating those pies!   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »
☠️🐴
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2019, 12:52:11 AM »
Apropos of nothing, an observation about salt I have made before that continues to intrigue me.
When you make a dough with around 650g of water and around 25g (2.5%), you are essentially making your dough with seawater.
It never fails to astonish me - if I drank seawater, I can just about guarantee I'd regurgitate it. But make dough without it and it is as bland as can be.
Mick

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »
The average salinity of sea water is most commonly cited as 3.5%.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2019, 02:28:54 PM »
The average salinity of sea water is most commonly cited as 3.5%.
Yes "standard" seawater is taken to be 35. i.e. it is taken to have the same conductivity as a solution of 35 g/L sodium chloride salts.
The range of seawater salinity around the world is about 30 to 50 g/L.
In my neck of the woods it's 42 g/L. I live in an area where the evaporation rate is not matched by recharge from rainfall, it's an "inverse estuary".

Anyway, when we add 2.5% salt to 65% hydration dough, we are giving that water a salinity of 25 /650*1000 = 38g/L
i.e. 38g per 1000g  of water.
or 3.8 g per 100g of water
or 3.8%
i.e. we are making pizzas with seawater which, although it has not much to do with this thread, I find fascinating.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:44:14 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2019, 06:19:15 PM »
Now I'm jealous. Just incredible.

If you want to make Scarr's Sicilian, I believe the dough is triple baked. Par baked naked, baked until the shredded cheese (fresh and aged I think?) melts slightly, sauced with a basic tomato sauce (I think it's unseasoned for the square) and baked until finished.

I only made enough for 2 dough balls but Iíll try mixing again this weekend. Iím a big fan of this dough and again for me the salt wasnít an issue. This might me the tastiest pizza Iíve made to date and with Bakeshackís assistance Iíve made some pretty good pies over the past 6 months.

Offline colebg

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2019, 08:15:07 PM »
insightful video showing some of the dough making process 

Offline colebg

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2020, 10:58:18 PM »
found an even better video. saw a grande cheese box. It was almost a full instruction video.

Offline Elevatedpizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2020, 03:24:02 PM »
I played around with a Scarrís style dough a few weeks ago as I wanted to do a side by side with my current/preferred dough formula and I think it came out pretty close.  Here is the formula/workflow I used if it would help you out. 

90% Bread flour (I used Central Milling/Power flour even mix)
10% Whole wheat (fresh mulled)
64% Water
3% olive oil
4% salt
0.8% Fresh yeast

24 hr cold bulk ferment, divide and ball, CF until needed or leave out 4 hrs at RT if using that day.  Bake at 550F deck temp for 5 mins.  I used Bianco crushed, grande mozz, oregano, parm, olive oil.

Dough weight is 775g for a 19Ē pie post bake.   

Hope this helps! 

Marlon

How do you get those char bubbles etc from 5 minutes in a stone deck oven? I have a commercial electric stone deck oven for my pizzeria and 8 minutes at 600 doesn't even do that.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2020, 10:35:52 AM »
8 minutes at 600 should definitely char.   I have a feeling your dough is either under or over fermented, try playing with that.   good luck!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
He's also probably baking between 600 to 650. I've seen the knob on the oven cranked pretty high. Pretty well-fermented dough will take on those shades.... I also think some of the charring you see is just some thin spots or bubbles that have blown out because his dough is very airy.

How do you get those char bubbles etc from 5 minutes in a stone deck oven? I have a commercial electric stone deck oven for my pizzeria and 8 minutes at 600 doesn't even do that.

Offline TheSicialianSq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2020, 08:55:46 PM »
I played around with a Scarrís style dough a few weeks ago as I wanted to do a side by side with my current/preferred dough formula and I think it came out pretty close.  Here is the formula/workflow I used if it would help you out. 

90% Bread flour (I used Central Milling/Power flour even mix)
10% Whole wheat (fresh mulled)
64% Water
3% olive oil
4% salt
0.8% Fresh yeast

24 hr cold bulk ferment, divide and ball, CF until needed or leave out 4 hrs at RT if using that day.  Bake at 550F deck temp for 5 mins.  I used Bianco crushed, grande mozz, oregano, parm, olive oil.

Dough weight is 775g for a 19Ē pie post bake.   

Hope this helps! 

Marlon

Could you provide cook time and temp for the sicilian ?

Offline HogInBlack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »
ok, I consider myself a pretty intelligent person, I have a MBA in Data Analytics, Delta Mu Delta Honors society, why is my brain fogging on these recipes? how does it add up to more than 100%?! 100% is total its everything, what am I missing here about these ratios?
thanks in advance for the help

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2020, 03:28:21 PM »
ok, I consider myself a pretty intelligent person, I have a MBA in Data Analytics, Delta Mu Delta Honors society, why is my brain fogging on these recipes? how does it add up to more than 100%?! 100% is total its everything, what am I missing here about these ratios?
thanks in advance for the help

It's confusing, but it is correct.  In bakers percentages, flour weight is always listed as "100%" and all the other individual ingredient weights are in relation to that.  So, of you had equal parts flour and water, it's not 50/50 but 100/100.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
what am I missing here about these ratios?

You answered your own question.
John

Offline HogInBlack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2020, 08:23:20 PM »
It's confusing, but it is correct.  In bakers percentages, flour weight is always listed as "100%" and all the other individual ingredient weights are in relation to that.  So, of you had equal parts flour and water, it's not 50/50 but 100/100.

Thank you Jsaras, I was, as I suspected missing something really basic. Just to clarify if Im using 100g flour id use 64 % of that water, %oil, %salt,%ADY?
Appreciate you answering a noob question

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2020, 08:28:44 PM »
Flour 100%.  100g
Water. 60%.     60g
Salt.     3%.         3g
Oil.        2%.         2g
Etc.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline HogInBlack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2020, 08:38:38 PM »
Flour 100%.  100g
Water. 60%.     60g
Salt.     3%.         3g
Oil.        2%.         2g
Etc.

Thanks Chi Town Bob, going to start working on a recipe to get close to some of the old Brooklyn style shops, Scarr's looks like a great starting point, if we ever get out of quarantine I can finally close on a house and build a proper pizza oven.

Offline gmladdison

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2020, 11:26:47 AM »
I made a very similar dough to the one Marlon posted. Went down to 3% salt though, and up to 4% olive oil(which was a mistake when I poured it in whoops!) I cooked it in an Ooni oven and it was really excellent. I am completely sold on the addition of 10% whole wheat. Mine came from Castle Valley Mill out of PA its a very rustic flour with the wheat germ left in it.

Thanks Marlon for the excellent recipe, canít wait to make more pizza!