A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: re-creating Scarr's pizza  (Read 16741 times)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Re: re-creating Scarr's pizza
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2020, 06:07:03 AM »
Looks delicious, I would try this but I'm unable to show restraint around pizza.  I typically make mine with 200-250g balls and within 3 hours of it coming out the oven I'm eating the last slice. I fear eating an entire pizza with 4% salt would do things to me lol.  Maybe I could make it and eat 2 slices and tell somebody here to take the rest before I can woof it down.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2020, 12:18:00 AM »
Just had Scarrs tonight. It was fantastic!  It was less salty than Song E' Napule and Biga Bite, which I had just before and after.   Im holding strong on his salt content being in the 2's somewhere. 

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2020, 07:22:33 AM »
I had not heard of Biga Bite, the photos on the website look good. What did you think Scott?
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2020, 07:42:50 AM »
I attached a photo of Biga Bite.  It was beautiful, very crispy pizza, especially for one baked in about 3 minutes. The biga gave the crust a nice flavor.   It was almost the opposite of Song, which is as you know, super soft, without any crisp, and song was maybe even softer last night than I have had it before (could be the new oven?).  Biga Bite was definitely different than NY or Neapolitan, and very different than my pizza at stoked that cooks in about the same amount of time.  I wish there had been more flavor to the toppings, but definitely an interesting spot doing something more different than the photos would suggest.  In the photos it sort of just looks like a slightly slower baked Neapolitan pizza, but this pizza was even crispier than the pizza I had a colony grill earlier in the night.     

Scarr's and Song are so good its hard to venture away from them when in this area, and as usual the spicy spring was bursting with an incredible amount of flavor.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:47:49 AM by scott r »

Offline [email protected]

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2021, 05:17:26 PM »

90% Bread flour (I used Central Milling/Power flour even mix)
10% Whole wheat (fresh mulled)

So I picked up some Bob’s Red Mill stone ground whole wheat flour to use for the 10-15% flour component in this recipe, but it’s not “bolted.” I was going to use KABF for the 85% portion. Googled up “bolted” hard flour available locally and ended up with KABF as the first option. Saw some other options available at the grocery that seem to be for lighter, finer pastries, but I thought the idea was to add a heartier flour, not a lighter flour.

Suspect I’m missing something.  Looks like you can order online and I see people bolt their own, but that seems a bit of a pain and not likely to achieve the 80% level of bran removal.

Suggestions on readily available brands?

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2021, 12:53:03 AM »
So I picked up some Bob’s Red Mill stone ground whole wheat flour to use for the 10-15% flour component in this recipe, but it’s not “bolted.” I was going to use KABF for the 85% portion. Googled up “bolted” hard flour available locally and ended up with KABF as the first option. Saw some other options available at the grocery that seem to be for lighter, finer pastries, but I thought the idea was to add a heartier flour, not a lighter flour.

Suspect I’m missing something.  Looks like you can order online and I see people bolt their own, but that seems a bit of a pain and not likely to achieve the 80% level of bran removal.

Mostly I've seen bolted flours online from small independent mills or resellers. https://breadtopia.com/store/high-extaction-organic-soft-white-wheat-flour/ is a good company for supplies.

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2021, 08:28:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply, PNW. Will take a look.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2021, 08:32:43 AM »

Bolted just means that it is a high extraction flour, which means that some of the bran has been sifted out. Most whole wheat flour that you find in stores has been sifted/bolted. You wrote fresh mulled, did you mean fresh milled? If you have fresh milled you can use a #40 screen to obtain 85% extraction flour.
Instagram @hans_michigan

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2021, 11:36:18 AM »
Bolted just means that it is a high extraction flour, which means that some of the bran has been sifted out. Most whole wheat flour that you find in stores has been sifted/bolted. You wrote fresh mulled, did you mean fresh milled? If you have fresh milled you can use a #40 screen to obtain 85% extraction flour.

I had excerpted from Bakeshack’s recipe, but assumed he meant “milled” as well. Consequently, I bought Bob’s Red Mill, but they make it a point of saying “nothing removed” so definitely not what I was after. Will swap it for something appropriate or round up a proper screen. #40 looks a bit finer than what I have available.

Thanks for the help, Hans. Been making pizza at home a long time, but a few days reading around here has really been an education, wow!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:37:55 AM by [email protected] »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
You're welcome. Breadtopia has a lot of good things! https://breadtopia.com/product-category/bread-baking-supplies/flour-sifters/
Instagram @hans_michigan

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2021, 04:11:31 PM »
Pizza_Not_War mentioned them also. Browsed a little, lots to choose from. Probably just grab some run of the mill whole wheat to give this one a shot and go from there.

A bit like a kid in a candy store with all the recipe options available here.

Offline TheSicialianSq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2021, 11:57:57 PM »
What kind of cheese would be ideal for this and the sauce formula?

Offline HBSound

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2021, 10:10:35 PM »
Some great information I'm using Sunday to make my first pizza, and I receive some great information.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:10:55 PM by HBSound »

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2021, 10:43:19 AM »
Went ahead and gave the mix a go with just KA bread flour I had on hand. Damn tasty, but already planning a proper batch with flour from a “local” mill just discovered because of the recipe. Love synergy.

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2021, 03:12:21 PM »
So I did a test with Coarse Kosher and tried to get it to about the level he has in the video using the same container he used and it came to 839g. If someone has the same container and has some fine salt perhaps we could get a range. If he was using 50# of flour and Coarse Kosher salt he would be in the 3.7% range. Obviously there would be differences based on humidity and salt type but we could at least define a potential range.

The question I have for you are you using Crystal or Morton's kosher salt in this measurement? Crystal is less dense than Morton's by almost half.

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2021, 10:21:18 PM »
Baked another of same batch tonight, this time on my 16” stone.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:39:45 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
I played around with a Scarr’s style dough a few weeks ago as I wanted to do a side by side with my current/preferred dough formula and I think it came out pretty close.  Here is the formula/workflow I used if it would help you out. 

64% Water
3% olive oil
4% salt
0.8% Fresh yeast

24 hr cold bulk ferment, divide and ball, CF until needed or leave out 4 hrs at RT if using that day.  Bake at 550F deck temp for 5 mins.  I used Bianco crushed, grande mozz, oregano, parm, olive oil.

Dough weight is 775g for a 19” pie post bake.   

Hope this helps! 

Marlon

Marlon, what was your thickness factor for this formulation?

David

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »
Marlon, what was your thickness factor for this formulation?

David

David-

Thickness factor = dough weight in ounces / area in square inches, so if I did the numbers right:

775 grams is 27.3373 ounces

Area of 19" pizza = pi*9.5*9.5 = 283.5287 square inches

TF = 27.3373/283.5287 = 0.096

Offline Dasnyde4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2021, 11:14:46 AM »
I played around with a Scarr’s style dough a few weeks ago as I wanted to do a side by side with my current/preferred dough formula and I think it came out pretty close.  Here is the formula/workflow I used if it would help you out. 

64% Water
3% olive oil
4% salt
0.8% Fresh yeast

24 hr cold bulk ferment, divide and ball, CF until needed or leave out 4 hrs at RT if using that day.  Bake at 550F deck temp for 5 mins.  I used Bianco crushed, grande mozz, oregano, parm, olive oil.

Dough weight is 775g for a 19” pie post bake.   

Hope this helps! 

Marlon

What would be the conversion to instant yeast?  By going to instant yeast would it change the taste of the pizza dramatically?

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2021, 02:00:46 PM »
What would be the conversion to instant yeast?  By going to instant yeast would it change the taste of the pizza dramatically?

Per King Arthur: To convert from fresh yeast to active dry yeast, multiply the fresh quantity by 0.4. Active dry yeast must be hydrated in warm water before being incorporated into a dough. To convert from fresh yeast to instant dry yeast, multiply the fresh quantity by 0.33.