A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trader Joe's GF Pizza Dough Clone?  (Read 238 times)

Offline cweirup

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Trader Joe's GF Pizza Dough Clone?
« on: July 02, 2022, 11:12:44 AM »
Has anyone tried to make a homemade version of Trader Joe's GF refrigerated pizza dough? I've tried a number of GF recipes for my wife, but she always prefers the TJ's dough. I'd like to try to recreate it myself, but I'm not sure where to start.

Attached is a picture of the ingredients. I think all of them are readily available (save deactivated yeast), but I'm not sure how to go about developing a recipe from these (for example, how much of each dough). The dough is quite stiff, so I'm assuming a low hydration, but I'm not advanced enough to figure out the approximate amount.

If someone has attempted this already, I'd appreciate your recipe or thoughts on this.

Thank you for any help, thoughts, or guidance!

Chris

Offline Gene in Acadiana

Re: Trader Joe's GF Pizza Dough Clone?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 03:47:22 PM »
At about a dollar a bag, if I were you I'd just stock up periodically and keep a bunch in the freezer. Seems like a lot of ingredients to keep their costs down that would take you countless hours to figure out the right ratios. The times I've used it as an emergency dough, there seems to be an excessive amount of yeast when baked, although maybe it's more of an excessive amount of sugar. And like you mentioned, it's definitely low hydration. I'm guessing somewhere in the mid-50s.

Offline cweirup

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 01:12:22 PM »
Oh I regularly have a bunch of them in the freezer. I'm not worried about saving money on these. Just interested in making a homemade version of it. Thanks for the additional info!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 10:21:23 AM »
I gave up on making my own GF flour blends. If you go back 15 years or so, you had to do it yourself. Now, most grocery stores in the US have a few options for GF flours. Cup4Cup is the one I have found to be the best for baking. King Arthur has Measure for Measure which tripped my wife up once and she thought she was buying Cup4Cup. It's OK, but I thought the gluten free pierogies we make come out better with Cup4Cup4. For the GF Detroit style I have made a few times, I have been going 50/50 Cup4Cup and Fiore Glut. You might want to look at Bob's Red Mill GF pizza crust. Not the same order, but most of the same ingredients as the Trader Joe's dough base. I can't believe Trader Joe's is making it from scratch themselves.

So while I can't really help you with a GF dough I think would freeze well, I believe the deactivated yeast is just dead yeast used for flavor. Maybe some dough conditioning. A GF nutritional yeast. Those are sometime in flakes, I think you'd want fine here. Last ingredient, so it probably isn't much.

Offline cweirup

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 11:13:19 AM »
Thanks for the info! I'll need to try those options to see if they mimic TJ's version. I haven't tried Cup4Cup or Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza mix before, so I'll look for those.

And as you and others said, I may just need to suck it up and keep buying what my wife enjoys the most and not worry about it further.  :)

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress