A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Biga  (Read 6151 times)

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
Re: Biga
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 03:32:26 AM »
Thanks Yael, this is helpful. Biga is not difficult method. It only looks like nonspesific when it is ready.  Dry, shaggy pulp, but you have to trust, that it works. I`m member of few different Pizzamaking chains in internet and this method is growing rapidly.
Aapo   Wood fired oven "Siankarlo"
Pizza Party Ardore, Saputo tiles
Gustarosso tomato, Caputo flours, Ischia Culture, Biga

Offline schold

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2020, 11:29:06 AM »
Thanks Schold. Cake yeast here at the best of times is quite hard to find, right now any yeast seems impossible to find, I may have to resort to adopting a starter!
This started when reading descriptions of increased flavour, I am quite happy with the cornichone and flavour of the pizza I make, my wife doesn’t eat the cornichone, saving herself she says, for the good stuff.  I consider it part of learning more about making pizza and have time, as my retirement schedule has not changed much, except we never see anybody!

Yes, even here in Norway, where cake yeast normally is widely available, I have had to search for it due to covid-19. Anyways, my suggestion was made with the best of intentions.

I would divorce my wife if she did that - the cornicione is the good stuff!
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 02:15:07 PM »
You could make some garlic butter and dip her left over cornicione in that :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 05:31:14 PM »
Don't know if this can help.

A famous Italian baker called Giorilli codified a type of biga.  I suppose it's aimed at what the Italians call Grande Lievitati, like Panettone, Pandoro, Colomba, etc.  All rich doughs containing a lot of fat, sugar, and eggs.

If I've understood correctly the goal is to make the yeast multiply a lot and to have a really strong starter that has a lot of levitating power.

You mix 100% flour, 1% fresh cake yeast and 42% water to a very rough state.  You don't really want to develop much gluten structure and you'd want the result to be something like a crumble.  This in order to allow a lot of oxygen to be in contact with the biga, so you shouldn't close it in hermetically, but make sure that it doesn't dry out too much.  You leave it at 18C for 24 hours before you use it.  It should look something like the photo below.

I've never used it to make pizza, but rather for bread.  I was surprised at the speed that the bread levitated, and another observation that I made was that if you closed it in hermetically it had a very strong smell of alcoholic fermentation.  It was somewhat like using an atomic bomb fermentation wise, especially when used as a large part of the finished dough.  When using a lot of it, my bread was also very pale suggesting that it had consumed most of the free sugar in the final dough.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:35:32 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline pizzolo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 02:21:36 AM »
I also experimented with biga and the fermentation was going rapidly, but taste wise - I didn't notice any difference with my usual direct method with instant dry yeast.

There is a contradiction though if one should add yeast to the final dough mix where the biga goes in. Vito Iacopelli in his videos puts yeast only in the biga. The PizzApp for the iPhone suggests to add yeast also in the final mix, but for Android I think that it does not. The MasterBiga app is buggy for iPhone and suggest me to add yeast in kg, instead of gr, but no yeast in the flour. The Italian Squisita video () also instructs us to add yeast in the final mix. So I am confused :)

Maybe it depends on the leavening time after that... Anyway, I will try again with biga without adding more yeast...

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »
It takes perhaps some gall to answer a question after one experiment so take this or leave it. I was playing with both apps yesterday and noticed if I changed my 35% Biga to 25% Biga that PizzApp added yeast to the main dough as well. The significance of this has not penetrated the grey hair but thought you may want to mess with settings as I did.
Greg
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 01:02:07 AM »
Labour day pizze. First time using Caputo Nuvola and it was amazing. 6 x 270grams balls.
Biga 33%, 12h at +19c and biga doses was ; Manitoba 328gr, water 148gr and ischia culture 30gr
70% Hydration
Main dough doses ; Caputo Nuvola 508gr,
Water 508gr
Salt 27gr
Bulk time 16h at +19c
Balled 8h at +21c
Here is 4 margheritas and two other was topped by grilled eggplant and sweet pepper. Those was eaten so fast, that couldn´t take any photos :)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
Wow what a wonderful collection of Pizza! So well crafted and looking delicious.
Last time we exchanged info you were heading home from 5 weeks at sea to a quarantine of 2 weeks, it sure looks like you spent your time well! Looking forward to seeing more!

Greg
Greg
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2020, 10:00:20 AM »
Those look great

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 12:07:14 PM »
I had plenty problems to joint biga to maindough, so i made a test with poolish and found it more easy.  This time i used poolish & autolyse, half and half. 70% hydro , Ischia culture sourdough, Caputo Pizzeria 50% and Nuvola 50%.

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 05:39:15 PM »
Nice looking pizza! Poolish and Autolyse both contribute similar things to the dough - greater extensibility, better aroma and better flavor. What is your reasoning for combining the two techniques together? Seems to me that the poolish would be enough - and if it's not enough, you can just use a higher % of poolish.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:40:51 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2020, 01:16:46 AM »
Nice looking pizza! Poolish and Autolyse both contribute similar things to the dough - greater extensibility, better aroma and better flavor. What is your reasoning for combining the two techniques together? Seems to me that the poolish would be enough - and if it's not enough, you can just use a higher % of poolish.
You are right, that poolish is good enough alone. I`m not sure if  autolyse ius the reason, but maindough was more difficult to operarate after KA. It was pretty wet and sticky, but after stretch&fold, it was ok again. 

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
Biga
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2020, 02:00:12 AM »
Your results are excellent though! The stickiness can be caused by overfermented poolish or too long of an autolyse but it’s not a big deal usually - just a bit harder to work the dough.

For me, I usually do poolish only or biga only, or biga+autolyse.

Biga + autolyse is a good combo as the autolyse helps bring back some extensibilty that was lost by using the biga.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:05:20 AM by DoouBall »
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2020, 02:03:57 AM »
Here is latest poolish & autolyse pizzas. Proudly wearing my winning Caputo T-shirt. Situation is usually so hectic, that i could not take pictures of individual pizzas.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
WOW. That looks like a very good place to be! A happy crowd and great looking pizza. :chef:

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2020, 07:37:46 AM »
Here is latest poolish & autolyse pizzas. Proudly wearing my winning Caputo T-shirt. Situation is usually so hectic, that i could not take pictures of individual pizzas.
How do you keep all those pizzas warm so that you can all sit down and eat at the same time?
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2020, 10:24:37 AM »
How do you keep all those pizzas warm so that you can all sit down and eat at the same time?

I have most patient guests :) I made 8 pizzas and all process takes only 18 minutes to do it. When first is in oven, i`m preparing the next one and one guy is already to give me order to turn it after 30 seconds is gone and then other 30 sec and it`s ready. This is slow food. I use 3 days, from waking up sourdough etc., so we are not too busy to east it fast. Usually it takes 45 min-to one hour and then plates are empty. Lot of speaking and good tastes of wine. Every bite is equal good and it do not matter, if it is hot or warm. This time was pretty good weather and warm, but later, when temperature is lower, i give extra heat to pizzas which i made first. Inside to oven over turning peel and i give some 10 seconds near top of oven.

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »
Sunday pizzas for golfers

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2020, 12:02:19 PM »
Porcini

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2020, 12:55:00 AM »
Autolyse/poolish from last saturday eve.