A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anyone use Simple Truth Ricotta?  (Read 971 times)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone use Simple Truth Ricotta?
« on: April 02, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
I learned from Googling Ricotta's with Carrageenan in them are pretty terrible. I use to use Galbani Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese, their low moisture whole milk Moz is pretty good, so I just assumed their Ricotta would be too. There's not a lot of variety of Ricotta's around my area (So Cal, IE) And all of them except Simple Truth have Carrageenan in them.

This is the label for the tub I have in my fridge. Organic Whey, Organic Milk, Organic Cream, Organic Vinegar, Salt. But I know just because it doesn't have Carrageenan doesn't automatically mean it'll taste good.  Best I've had was the Ricotta balls on the whitestone slices I use to get at Bronx Pizza in SD. But I have zero clue the brand they use.

In my area I have a Sprouts, I'm guessing they might have something nice. Whole Food's is like 30 miles. I really don't have access to anything else, I'm curious how the Simple Truth stacks up to a good Ricotta. Ordering a Koda and gotta try to duplicate the delicious Whitestone slices from Bronx Pizza!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Anyone use Simple Truth Ricotta?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 11:03:54 AM »
I have not heard of or tried that brand. It’s not too difficult to make your own, which has been infrequent but mostly delicious for me. Use a stainless steel pan if you try it - or not anodized aluminum, at least. There are some pics of some I made a long time go in this unrelated post. I think I got 6.1 oz ricotta from one quart of milk. Milk, lemon juice (or vinegar), and salt.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=41700.msg416684#msg416684
-Tony

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 11:10:09 AM »
Since you mentioned Galbani Whole Milk ricotta, their "Classic," "Double Cream," and "Fresca" lines do not contain stabilizers or preservatives. You can check their locator to see if any stores in your area carry them.

Edit to add: if you do decide to make your own ricotta (well, technically Fresca unless you're making it from whey since it's only cooked once), I'd recommend using citric acid rather than vinegar or lemon juice, as I find that the latter two flavor the resulting curd.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:18:39 AM by megan45 »

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
FWIW, the best ricotta is IMO freshly made and not pasteurized, it only keeps a few days!

No idea where you could find it though.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »
I have not heard of or tried that brand. It’s not too difficult to make your own, which has been infrequent but mostly delicious for me. Use a stainless steel pan if you try it - or not anodized aluminum, at least. There are some pics of some I made a long time go in this unrelated post. I think I got 6.1 oz ricotta from one quart of milk. Milk, lemon juice (or vinegar), and salt.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=41700.msg416684#msg416684

Yes I'm going to make my own, a month ago I saw a few Sous Vide videos and it's dead easy. But the Cheese Police were all over both videos posting how it's not real Ricotta blah blah blah lol. While I'm not a purist by any means, I would like to try a good quality real Ricotta so I have something to compare what I make with. I'm talking the kind made with just whole milk and salt and the other stuff. I understand I technically could make real Ricotta, but I'd need a stupid amount of Whey.

Since you mentioned Galbani Whole Milk ricotta, their "Classic," "Double Cream," and "Fresca" lines do not contain stabilizers or preservatives. You can check their locator to see if any stores in your area carry them.

Edit to add: if you do decide to make your own ricotta (well, technically Fresca unless you're making it from whey since it's only cooked once), I'd recommend using citric acid rather than vinegar or lemon juice, as I find that the latter two flavor the resulting curd.

Good to know, thank you. Of course none of them you mentioned are anywhere in my area, but when I'm elsewhere I'll keep my eyes peeled.  And thanks for the citric acid tip I'll go see if Ralphs has it today maybe I can Sous Vide up a batch tonight
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:48:42 PM by Quebert »

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 08:19:52 PM »
Good to know, thank you. Of course none of them you mentioned are anywhere in my area, but when I'm elsewhere I'll keep my eyes peeled. 

Might be worth checking Sam's Club and/or Walmart if they're nearby. The Sam's Club here carries the "Classic," and I've occasionally seen it at the WalMart near my office, so any store in the evil Walton empire can get it in (check the ingredients list, though, since they also carry the Whole Milk): if the don't, contact the store manager and request that they stock it. (I'm batting around .800 with such requests, although in the current contretemps they may not be as disposed to accommodating off-the-normal-grid requests as they would otherwise be.)

If you have or can get access, Resturant Depot (looks like there are 11 in/around the IE) also carry Galbani Classic (though I prefer their house brand, Supremo Italiano, to the Galbani).

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 10:12:57 PM »
Might be worth checking Sam's Club and/or Walmart if they're nearby. The Sam's Club here carries the "Classic," and I've occasionally seen it at the WalMart near my office, so any store in the evil Walton empire can get it in (check the ingredients list, though, since they also carry the Whole Milk): if the don't, contact the store manager and request that they stock it. (I'm batting around .800 with such requests, although in the current contretemps they may not be as disposed to accommodating off-the-normal-grid requests as they would otherwise be.)

If you have or can get access, Resturant Depot (looks like there are 11 in/around the IE) also carry Galbani Classic (though I prefer their house brand, Supremo Italiano, to the Galbani).

I think I need to get a RD membership, I just went on Reddit and saw stories of people filing LLC's and making up fake businesses, complete with having to file taxes every year just to be able to get a membership. I've heard that place is nice, but to go through all that work it must be really really nice lol.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:14:58 PM by Quebert »

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 12:58:19 AM »
Simple Truth Organic is Krogers house brand. See if the container has the plant number on it and then you can google it to hopefully match up with the real cheese maker. Sometimes you hit gold and get a well known brand. I don't really dig Ricotta but Calabro is one of the top rated Ricotta's and I like it a lot. Just not on pizza. Preferably in a Canoli.

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 02:28:49 PM »
I think I need to get a RD membership, I just went on Reddit and saw stories of people filing LLC's and making up fake businesses, complete with having to file taxes every year just to be able to get a membership. I've heard that place is nice, but to go through all that work it must be really really nice lol.

For $40/year you can join the KC Barbecue Society. Unless things have changed in the last year or so, that'll get you unlimited day passes to RD. You just need to show your membership card at the desk. No tax filing or other shenanigans necessary.  :)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 02:54:58 PM »
For $40/year you can join the KC Barbecue Society. Unless things have changed in the last year or so, that'll get you unlimited day passes to RD. You just need to show your membership card at the desk. No tax filing or other shenanigans necessary.  :)

:chef: :chef:  Thank you for this info, I did see KCBS and the day pass when you joined, but I didn't see more so I just assumed it was a single pass thing. Unlimited is GOOD. I was about to order a 50# bag of 00 online and the shipping alone would have been like $25, so this seems like the way to go.  All I can find in my area is 2.2lb bags of 00 which don't go very far. I found a couple 50# brands on Amazon that have "free shipping" but they were like $100+ so lol no.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:56:37 PM by Quebert »

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 09:31:26 AM »
One of the Ralph's near me has a specialty cheese area and, in addition to carrying typical commercial ricotta, has this brand which is probably the tastiest grocery-store ricotta I've had:
https://bellwetherfarms.com/product/whole-milk-basket-ricotta/
Ralph's == Kroger.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 09:39:27 AM »
One of the Ralph's near me has a specialty cheese area and, in addition to carrying typical commercial ricotta, has this brand which is probably the tastiest grocery-store ricotta I've had:
https://bellwetherfarms.com/product/whole-milk-basket-ricotta/
Ralph's == Kroger.
I learned something. Never knew of the sheep association with bellwether.

bellwether: a wether or other male sheep that leads the flock, usually bearing a bell.
-Tony

Offline Bengoshi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 12:00:26 AM »
And even better, Bellwether also makes an excellent Sheep Milk ricotta.  I use only Bellwether here in Cali, both cow and sheep, high quality (as is the crème fraiche)

bellwether: a wether or other male sheep that leads the flock, usually bearing a bell.
[/quote]

wordpress