A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Grimaldi's Clone Recipe - Can We Figure It Out?  (Read 18340 times)

Offline camwell

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Grimaldi's Clone Recipe - Can We Figure It Out?
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2020, 08:25:52 AM »
I grew up in Chicago, but I lived for many years in New York City. For a while when I was in NYC, Grimaldi's was one of my 3 favorites, partly because their sausage was a lot better than the sausage many other pizzerias served. (Sausage just isn't anywhere near as popular in NYC as it is in Chicago, and many places in NYC don't really prioritize it at all.) I used to travel from Manhattan to Brooklyn, bypassing a zillion other pizzerias available in Manhattan, to go to Grimaldi's. At the time, a lot of native-New Yorker and long-time New York-transplant pizza enthusiasts would snear at Grimaldi's as being only fit for tourists--you'd see comments along those lines in our many Chowhound discussions and in the comments on pizza review sites. Plus, whenever I'd get there, there'd always be a long line (mostly of tourists) you'd have to wait in before you could even place an order. I say all that just to underscore how much I liked their pizzas.

I haven't been back to Grimaldi's in years. Last time I was there, they were still at the original Old Fulton St location in DUMBO, which they left after a lease dispute around 2011, so I don't know what their current pizzas taste like.

One thing I would say is that the crusts from Norma's trip and from one of the Youtube video's ("How We Made It: Grimaldi's" - Uber Eats, July 1, 2019) don't look familiar to me from what I recall of the old Grimaldi's. Neither does the overall view of the toppings from that Youtube clip, although the toppings in Norma's pics somewhat do.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=39324.0;attach=221473;image

Something else that this discussion has me wondering about--from watching the Youtube vids & looking at Norma's pictures--is, What is that Polly O bucket doing on the counter? I guess they must use Polly O mozzarella on their pizzas.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=39324.0;attach=237199;image
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=39324.0;attach=237201;image

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2020, 11:15:07 AM »
I grew up in Chicago, but I lived for many years in New York City. For a while when I was in NYC, Grimaldi's was one of my 3 favorites, partly because their sausage was a lot better than the sausage many other pizzerias served. (Sausage just isn't anywhere near as popular in NYC as it is in Chicago, and many places in NYC don't really prioritize it at all.) I used to travel from Manhattan to Brooklyn, bypassing a zillion other pizzerias available in Manhattan, to go to Grimaldi's. At the time, a lot of native-New Yorker and long-time New York-transplant pizza enthusiasts would snear at Grimaldi's as being only fit for tourists--you'd see comments along those lines in our many Chowhound discussions and in the comments on pizza review sites. Plus, whenever I'd get there, there'd always be a long line (mostly of tourists) you'd have to wait in before you could even place an order. I say all that just to underscore how much I liked their pizzas.

I haven't been back to Grimaldi's in years. Last time I was there, they were still at the original Old Fulton St location in DUMBO, which they left after a lease dispute around 2011, so I don't know what their current pizzas taste like.

One thing I would say is that the crusts from Norma's trip and from one of the Youtube video's ("How We Made It: Grimaldi's" - Uber Eats, July 1, 2019) don't look familiar to me from what I recall of the old Grimaldi's. Neither does the overall view of the toppings from that Youtube clip, although the toppings in Norma's pics somewhat do.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=39324.0;attach=221473;image

Something else that this discussion has me wondering about--from watching the Youtube vids & looking at Norma's pictures--is, What is that Polly O bucket doing on the counter? I guess they must use Polly O mozzarella on their pizzas.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=39324.0;attach=237199;image
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=39324.0;attach=237201;image

Iím pretty sure they use Aiello cheese.  The Polly O may be riccotta.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Yeller

« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 10:30:41 AM »
I can confirm the sauce that Grimaldi's use is simply cans of whole San Marzano tomatoes then they add sugar and blend with a large immersion blender....That's it...They buy almost everything from Roma..see if I can check on cheese brand. All the meat is Hormel. Check on the flour as well.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:33:02 AM by Yeller »

Offline Stichus III

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »
I can confirm the sauce that Grimaldi's use is simply cans of whole San Marzano tomatoes then they add sugar and blend with a large immersion blender....That's it...

The sauce is slightly acidic. I would have guessed San Marzano tomatoes and salt.   

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Grimaldi's Clone Recipe - Can We Figure It Out?
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2020, 09:14:04 AM »
They use Carmelina tomatoes

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2020, 11:13:46 PM »
They use Carmelina tomatoes
salt or sugar added?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2020, 10:41:10 AM »
salt or sugar added?

I donít recall it being an herby sauce.  4-5 grams of salt for a 28 ounce can is always a good start.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2020, 07:12:33 AM »
Grimaldi's recently put out a video about their cheese.

Look how thin he slices the mozzarella, this is a big leap forward.

Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2020, 07:24:57 AM »
Imagine slicing a million pounds of mozzarella that thinly! :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Stichus III

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »
Great video.

Thicker mozzarella slices would probably overwhelm the thin crust.

At the Brooklyn/DUMBO location you can get up close to the pizza making stations. The thinly sliced mozzarella is in clear view for anyone and everyone to see.  It's the same at the old location, currently Juliana's.

I am indeed surprised to see the mozzarella being sliced (that thinly) by hand.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:42:43 AM by Stichus III »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2020, 11:04:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=54&v=J_EFw4YI-Co&feature=emb_logo

The chef says 2 day cold fermentation.  The dough looks to be on the dry side.  I haven't used blooming best in over a decade, but if I remember correctly I would guess at about 58 percent hydration from what I remember and what I see here.   I think at this point with all the locations they are probably using something like full strength or all trumps for flour, but I could be wrong.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2020, 11:30:34 AM »
Great video.

At the Brooklyn/DUMBO location you can get up close to the pizza making stations. The thinly sliced mozzarella is in clear view for anyone and everyone to see.  It's the same at the old location, currently Juliana's.

they do by hand for demonstration purposes, they either use a slicer or a vegetable slicer for tomatos but with more blades. 
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »
Great video.

I used to make about 300 lbs/week mozz for one of the fancy pizzeria and dice it in cubes by hand and that lasted for about 3 months, i started using machine to dice after that..... doing million pounds by hand is a stretch ::)     

Offline Stichus III

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2020, 04:18:51 PM »
they do by hand for demonstration purposes, they either use a slicer or a vegetable slicer for tomatos but with more blades.

Now that makes a lot of sense.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2020, 11:05:06 PM »
Pizza Town.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2020, 10:07:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=54&v=J_EFw4YI-Co&feature=emb_logo

The chef says 2 day cold fermentation.  The dough looks to be on the dry side.  I haven't used blooming best in over a decade, but if I remember correctly I would guess at about 58 percent hydration from what I remember and what I see here.   I think at this point with all the locations they are probably using something like full strength or all trumps for flour, but I could be wrong.

I tend to agree with what you say.  the crust seemed to have the characteristics of a lower hydration like the 57 or 58 percent area. 

Offline Yeller

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2020, 10:49:40 AM »
Correct it is a 2 day proof...I can get from them dough at 1 day and put in fridge then bake next day. They run the oven @ 650f