A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NYC guy makes NYC pie  (Read 12056 times)

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
Re: NYC guy makes NYC pie
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2021, 06:28:45 PM »
Just re-upped on my tomatoes. Got a can of 7/11, Alta Cucina, and took a shot and got a can of Full Red Pizza Sauce. Now I just need to decide what I'd like to mix and portion out together. I was thinking I'd crack the Full Red and immediately portion out and freeze half untouched, then use the other half to combine with either a full can of 7/11 through a strainer or a full can of Alta through a strainer. Thinking 7/11 since It's been a while since I've used them.

Also strangely enough a Grande rep got in touch with me today and offered me some samples?! Crazy!!

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »
Two more pies from my most recent bake!

I went 58% hydration this time using the Rosenthal calculator and 3% salt and I think I'm going to stick to it for a while, really nailed the texture and mouth feel of a classic new york slice for me. This was my first time going below 60. I really liked it. Hand mixing was a bit tougher but I liked the challenge honestly! Did a 72 hour CF.

My sauce was 1 part Alta Cucina milled, 1 part 7/11 straight out of the can, and then a bit of Full Red Pizza Sauce (not fully prepared) straight out of the can. This was a thicker sauce than usual and I will thin it out a tiny bit next time but I liked the taste and consistency a lot that the 7/11's gave straight up mixed with the thin Altas. I don't know if the full red did anything huge here but I liked my sauce more than usual. Salt, Pepper, Sicilian Oregano, Olive Oil, and microplaned fresh garlic was the recipe this time. It was a step above usual, but still of course missing something. Starting to be convinced of the idea that a deck oven just produces a different flavor. It's okay though, i'll keep trying!

16" pies. Cheese was Grande WMLM, I believe I did nearly 10oz of sauce and 9oz of cheese on the first pie,  I over-cheesed the second pie a bit but it was still good, and got that orange gold - though I liked the first pie way better. Pies finished with Frankies olive oil pre-bake, with Grana Padano post bake.

Next time will play around with sauce again, maybe do 57% hydration, and maybe do a smaller dough ball - these were 510 for a 16" but could maybe size it down to 500.

Thanks for lookin!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:20:42 PM by piesofsatan »

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2021, 03:05:08 PM »
Those look yummy!
Is this the Rosenthal formula, just using less water?
What are you doing with the extra tomato that you have leftover? 
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2021, 03:32:44 PM »
Those look yummy!
Is this the Rosenthal formula, just using less water?
What are you doing with the extra tomato that you have leftover?

Thanks! Yeah, sorry - edited the post, 58% hydration using the Rosenthal calculator, and upped the salt to 3%. 

I took a page from Matt's book and portion the tomato out into pint containers (untouched) and freeze them! Never noticed a dip in quality. The Alta's were from a can I cracked back in late Dec.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2021, 03:41:49 PM »
Those pies definitely look legit!  Are you using AP flour? 

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2021, 04:50:55 PM »
Those pies definitely look legit!  Are you using AP flour?

Thanks Vincent! I've been messing around with a mix of 50% All Trumps B&B, and 50% King Arthur AP

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2021, 01:09:30 PM »
I got the itch and made more dough to make more pies because I want to keep in practice.

I'm really glad I did because I had a SAUCE BREAKTHROUGH LAST NIGHT. God, finally we're getting somewhere! :-D :-D :-D

This was a quick 24 hour CF, and I also went down to 57% hydration and loved the crust it produced. Had a ton of flavor too, actually. Used the Rosenthal calculator and adjusted percentages accordingly. 3% Salt, 2% Oil, 1.4% Sugar, 0.25% IDY.

About the SAUCE. First time maybe ever I was like "this tastes like a pizzeria!!" I didn't make it much different than usual, but this is the second time I mixed three different types of tomatoes. Uncooked. And it was the first time I added some grated yellow onion, and I LOVED the flavor it added. I'm not sure why I didn't try this sooner as Matt has been (had been?) doing the same thing for a while. But I remember tasting it before I put the lid on and put it aside and said "Yes!" out loud to my empty kitchen.

I wrote down the recipe, it's simple as hell. But the tricky thing is that I used an unusual amount of tomatoes for the recipe, like 34-36oz of tomato due to mixing three different types. It was like 14oz of Alta Cucina, Milled, 14 oz of 7/11 untouched from can, and like 4-5oz of Full Red and a tiny bit of water. Don't ask me why I did it this way, I just did, haha. Ingredients were:

1 heaping teaspoon of grated yellow onion
1t olive oil
1 clove of grated garlic
1t sicilian oregano
1t sugar
1t salt
1/2t black pepper

Now, I also recently acquired a lot of cheese as I was very lucky to be able meet with a Grande rep who gave me a bunch of samples. Super sweet guy, seemed to just be excited that I was trying to produce this style of pizza in my home oven. He reached out on instagram and offered and I obviously could not refuse. One of the things he gave me was a bag of Grande grated Romano cheese. I put down a good amount on top of my sauced pie before I cheesed it. I haven't used Romano in a while, because for some reason the last block of aged Romano I bought I really didn't like, so I have been leaving it out. This Grande kind was really good though! Maybe because it was nothing fancy, and produced that old school pizzeria flavor when combined with the sauce. I also used some bits of their fresh mozz on these pies which was pretty alright but nothing special. Other cheese was their whole milk mozz, and then some grana padano to finish. I used about 10 oz of sauce on these pies, and about 8-9oz of cheese.

So it is either the grated onion, or the romano that is helping the sauce, or both. But its getting closer and that makes me happy!

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2021, 01:33:13 PM »
Damn - that looks good.

Questions:
  • When you say grated, are you using a particular size?  I have a microplane and a more conventional, but not the potato grater (yet).  I wonder if it even matters.
  • With the sugar, does the sauce taste sweet?  I wouldn't think so with such a small amount, but I know there is a style of sauce that some folks love for NY that is sweet.  I had a sweet sauce at a NY style place in Seattle and I did not like it at all.  I loved the place, but I never went back.
  • Have you ever tried the minced garlic in a jar?  I wouldn't think it would work as well as your grated garlic, but I would be happy to be wrong.

Grrr...... I would LOVE to get my hands on some Grande samples.  I am not sure I have ever seen Grande Romano, but I am meeting another forum member at Restaurant Depot in a few days to just check out the store - I wonder if they have it.  I have been off of hard cheese lately, as mixing in some provolone works really well IMO.  Having said that, I have thought about a dusting of hard cheese in addition to what I already do.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2021, 01:35:36 PM »
What is the Rosenthal Calculator you are referring to?

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2021, 02:13:30 PM »

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2021, 02:19:07 PM »
Damn - that looks good.

Questions:
  • When you say grated, are you using a particular size?  I have a microplane and a more conventional, but not the potato grater (yet).  I wonder if it even matters.
  • With the sugar, does the sauce taste sweet?  I wouldn't think so with such a small amount, but I know there is a style of sauce that some folks love for NY that is sweet.  I had a sweet sauce at a NY style place in Seattle and I did not like it at all.  I loved the place, but I never went back.
  • Have you ever tried the minced garlic in a jar?  I wouldn't think it would work as well as your grated garlic, but I would be happy to be wrong.

Grrr...... I would LOVE to get my hands on some Grande samples.  I am not sure I have ever seen Grande Romano, but I am meeting another forum member at Restaurant Depot in a few days to just check out the store - I wonder if they have it.  I have been off of hard cheese lately, as mixing in some provolone works really well IMO.  Having said that, I have thought about a dusting of hard cheese in addition to what I already do.

Thanks Peter!

- Grated as in like the smallest side of a box grater, super finely grated, usually how any romano usually comes pre-grated. Microplane would do the trick but would be a bit different consistency.

- I wouldn't say the sauce is overly sweet at all, no.

Pre-minced garlic is garbage. Tried it once a while back (not for pizza) and hated it. Didn't taste right.

I could be remembering wrong but restaurant depot does not carry Grande products unfortunately!

What is the Rosenthal Calculator you are referring to?

https://www.richardeaglespoon.com/articles/how-to-pizza#doughCalculator

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2021, 09:25:17 PM »
Your firing on all cylinders, you pizzas are looking excellent!  I'm diggin on that last slice.  I've never used onion in my sauce, could you taste it, or did it just blend in and help the flavor of the overall sauce?

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2021, 09:50:47 PM »
Awesome.

Romano is definitely a huge flavor boost and key to some pizzerias. I think you said you were a fan of Suprema. To me, their slice is dominated by Romano. (Try Louie and Ernie's for another nice slice with Romano.) In one of Norma's videos with Frank G he talks about how pizzerias have mostly stopped using Romano ("they never should've stopped doing that").

I think I really like onion too. WB### has inspired me to try using a combination of both fresh and powder.

Funny reaction to the jarred garlic. The last month or so I've been using it alot (pizza and pasta) and have really liked it. It seems to have some butteryness to it. Who knows, I'm going in circles with my sauce. But happy to see you're making good progress.

Matt

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2021, 09:53:23 PM »
For those who are interested, I added a link to the Richard Eaglespoon calculator to the list of goodies in the thread at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59104.msg592940#msg592940

Peter

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2021, 10:18:17 AM »
For those who are interested, I added a link to the Richard Eaglespoon calculator to the list of goodies in the thread at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59104.msg592940#msg592940

Peter
My go to is the herokuapp!  ;D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
My go to is the herokuapp!  ;D
corkd,

That is the calculator that replaced the forum's calculators that were based on Flash, which was terminated by Adobe.

Peter

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2021, 11:56:27 AM »
corkd,

That is the calculator that replaced the forum's calculators that were based on Flash, which was terminated by Adobe.

Peter

This is what I use as well.  It wold be perfect if you could add the desired fermentation times and temperatures ( stage 1 and 2 ) and have it built into the app.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 03:21:24 PM by billg »

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2021, 01:24:59 PM »
Four pies from the other night, as well as an upside down sicilian from a week or so ago!

Details on the round pies:
60% Hydration / 30hr CF
Alta Cucina, 7/11, Full Red mix with added small amounts of grated yellow onion, salt, pepper, sicilian oregano, sugar, evoo, fresh garlic
Grande WMLM Mozz, Fior di Latte, and Romano cheeses
Sicilian Oregano down on top of the sauce
Grana Padano to finish
Vegan pie had sliced peppers, onion, garlic, evoo, and a sesame seed crust. Finished with some vegan parm.

These pies were part of a surprise birthday thing for a friend of mine, had a socially distanced hang on my roof with some friends - first time having more than just a couple people try my pies. They went over swimmingly, and everyone said some really nice things. The best compliments came from other friends born in NYC of course, was nice to hear they found it comparable to an actual good slice shop. I unfortunately only got to try 2 slices out of the last pie I brought up but I really enjoyed it and thought the sauce was the best I've made thus far. Really good! Though I will say I am interested to go back to the East Coast Blend after I finish off this loaf of Whole Milk.

Also part of me wants to try my tomatoes straight out of the can, no seasoning except for what goes down on top of the sauced skin (romano / oregano). I always have tinkered with ingredients but funnily enough have never tried any tomatoes just on their own. In an interview with Scott Weiner, Paulie Gee's Slice Shop mentioned using Tomato Magic right out of the can just blended down a bit, and their slice tastes very classic NY to me. I'd like to try it for myself.

I also have a custom steel finally arriving tomorrow that will take up the entirety of my oven rack, so I will finally be bidding adieu to my screen and launching my 16" pies the real way.

Details on the square:
70% hydration 5hr RT based on HansB's famous reply 115 formula
7/11, Alta Cucina, Full Red mix
Grande Italian Blend
Grande Romano
Sicilian Oregano
Grana Padano
Sesame seed crust

This was a same day pie I made because I had leftover sauce, and leftover cheese to use from a prior bake. It came out surprisingly good!!! I'd like to try par baking next time for my squares to get that nice big crumb. 

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »
These look awesome! Where can I find that original formulation?

wordpress