A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NYC guy makes NYC pie  (Read 12316 times)

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
Re: NYC guy makes NYC pie
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2021, 03:09:36 PM »
These look awesome! Where can I find that original formulation?

For the square from HansB personal thread in Detroit Style, I just doubled this recipe because I was using a 10x14 pan:
100% KABF     160g
  70% HYD       112g
   1% IDY         1.6g
   2% Salt         3.2g
   2% LDMP      3.2g

Total 280g in an 8X10 pan. 4 hour RTF. Middle rack @525F.

For the round pies, I just played around with the Joe Rosenthal dough calculator:
https://www.richardeaglespoon.com/articles/how-to-pizza#doughCalculator

Tick the ADV button to adjust percentages, I did (i think) 60% Hydration, 3% Salt, 3% Oil and left the sugar and yeast at the default.

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
Hey guys,

Couple pies from last night testing out a brand new custom 16x20" steel. If you've followed along on my journey from the beginning you know I was launching using a screen because I had a 16" ROUND steel, and was too stubborn to make anything smaller than a 16" pie. This new steel is a game changer, the rectangular shape makes it so that almost my entire oven rack is covered, and makes launching properly off of a peel a breeze.

For the first pie I tried to channel my favorite specialty pie from Scarr's. The Hot Boi is so damn good and I had to give it a shot at home. Half of it is veggie pepperoni for a vegetarian friend, and this was no where near as good as Scarr's obviously but I loved it. Iím also officially a Mikes Hot Honey convert from this pie. I donít know what I was thinking not jumping on board earlier, maybe just being too much of a stubborn purist.Iím going to make this pie much more often, it was really delicious. Also of course had to make a regular pie, and it came out really well.

Here is the scoop on both:

16" (more like 15" post bake) 58% Hyd, 3% Salt, 2% Oil, 1.4% Sugar, 0.25% Yeast. - 50hr CF using the Rosenthal calculator

7/11 + Full Red mix with just some salt and evoo added. Trying to essentially start from scratch with my sauce and keep it incredibly simple, I liked how this tasted tonight but it definitely needs a little something else. Perhaps a basil leaf.

Grande WMLM / Grande Romano / Lioni Fresh Mozz / Grana Padano

Sicilian Oregano + some Frankie's 457 EVOO

For the hot boi:
Rosa Grande Pepperoni + Veggie Sausage + JalapeŮo + Mikes Hot Honey drizzled post bake

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »
piesofsatan,

I'd say you did very well.

Can you tell us the dough ball weight you used to make the pizza?

Peter

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2021, 01:24:18 PM »
piesofsatan,

I'd say you did very well.

Can you tell us the dough ball weight you used to make the pizza?

Peter

Thank you Peter, means a lot coming from you! The dough balls were around 505g each! I remember Tom Lehmann saying a 16" NY Style pie should be somewhere near the 17.75oz range and that stuck with me.

Offline CheeseMcSauceface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2021, 02:59:53 PM »
Awesome Pies!! Iím a big fan of your thread and it has helped me so much! What flour did you use for these?

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »
Awesome Pies!! Iím a big fan of your thread and it has helped me so much! What flour did you use for these?

50/50 mix of King Arthur All Purpose and All Trumps B&B

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2021, 02:57:13 AM »
That's a fine-looking pie!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2021, 08:34:48 AM »
Pizza looks great! I especially like the bottom. Tell me about that pineapple, please. Were you able to grow that indoors?
-Tony

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2021, 03:39:58 PM »
Pizza looks great! I especially like the bottom. Tell me about that pineapple, please. Were you able to grow that indoors?

Thanks! And no unfortunately not haha, just had to move it from the kitchen table to make space for pizza night.

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2021, 03:45:53 PM »
One of my best friends lives in Philly, and started making pizza around the same time as me, he works as a metal fabricator so he is pretty handy. Early on in the pandemic he hand made this kind of Frankenstein wood fired oven in a little alley / yard he has. I'd see the results he'd get from it and become very jealous.

Having been recently vaccinated I took a trip to see my best friend and we decided to do a marathon session with his WFO, I'd use my dough recipe and make a batch of dough for 3 pies, and he'd do the same with his recipe when I got to town. We did just that, and then let them CF for 48 hours. In the meantime we took a trip to Pizzeria Beddia as we had both never been. The room temperature tomato pie slice as an appetizer was incredible, but we both found ourselves slightly disappointed in the round pies we got. One regular / one with sausage and onions. I guess it was going to be impossible for it to live up to any hype at that point but I definitely thought it'd be better than it was. At the end of the day it was still pretty good, and I'm glad I went - would go back for the tomato pie, drinks, and salad.

The next day we fired up the oven and cranked out 6 pies for some friends. The oven was amazing, we baked between 650 - 750F. I never achieved a crust like I did with some of these pies before - oven spring-wise AND flavor-wise. To me, the whole flavor profile in general was different. These pies, specifically the first one in the photos below, were the best and closest flavor to a pizzeria flavor I've gotten (I know I have said that multiple times, haha, but its all just forward moving progress!). It was just also just wonderful to crank them out and have friends try them and enjoy them.

Details for my dough & 3 pies:

- 58% Hydration, 2% Oil, 3% Salt, 1% Sugar, 0.25% IDY.  48hr CF, 510g balls, 16" pies
- Alta Cucina through a food mill on the fine plate, with a tiny bit of full red mixed in along with some salt & EVOO
- Grande Romano, Grande Whole Milk + Trader Joe's Part Skim
- Sicilian Oregano
- 24 Month Parm
- Specialty pie was with sliced sausage and cherry peppers.

The third pie had a small launch issue which caused the odd shape - but no one seemed to mind.

Again, was super happy with all three of these pies, and am going to go back down ASAP to bake with my friend again!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2021, 06:13:15 PM »
Great story of good pizzas with good friends. Awesome. Itís been a long wait for all of us.
-Tony

Offline ThePizzaFollowing

• Add me on instagram. Let's talk pizzas.
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
Damn, that is nice looking.

Hey guys,

Couple pies from last night testing out a brand new custom 16x20" steel. If you've followed along on my journey from the beginning you know I was launching using a screen because I had a 16" ROUND steel, and was too stubborn to make anything smaller than a 16" pie. This new steel is a game changer, the rectangular shape makes it so that almost my entire oven rack is covered, and makes launching properly off of a peel a breeze.

For the first pie I tried to channel my favorite specialty pie from Scarr's. The Hot Boi is so damn good and I had to give it a shot at home. Half of it is veggie pepperoni for a vegetarian friend, and this was no where near as good as Scarr's obviously but I loved it. Iím also officially a Mikes Hot Honey convert from this pie. I donít know what I was thinking not jumping on board earlier, maybe just being too much of a stubborn purist.Iím going to make this pie much more often, it was really delicious. Also of course had to make a regular pie, and it came out really well.

Here is the scoop on both:

16" (more like 15" post bake) 58% Hyd, 3% Salt, 2% Oil, 1.4% Sugar, 0.25% Yeast. - 50hr CF using the Rosenthal calculator

7/11 + Full Red mix with just some salt and evoo added. Trying to essentially start from scratch with my sauce and keep it incredibly simple, I liked how this tasted tonight but it definitely needs a little something else. Perhaps a basil leaf.

Grande WMLM / Grande Romano / Lioni Fresh Mozz / Grana Padano

Sicilian Oregano + some Frankie's 457 EVOO

For the hot boi:
Rosa Grande Pepperoni + Veggie Sausage + JalapeŮo + Mikes Hot Honey drizzled post bake

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
Couple more from last week!

So I got a stand mixer finally, and so far I hate it.  :-D 2 out of the 3 times I've used it I tricked myself into thinking the dough was properly mixed and it was definitely under mixed. I feel like my hand mixing was so much more consistent. I'll keep working with the mixer as I know it is a learning curve but its driving me a bit crazy. You can see the color on the crust on the plain pie is so much more pale than my usual pies, and it was way more brittle, etc. Having said that, they tasted pretty great, and if the dough was on-point could have easily been three of the best pies i've made.

These were - 62% Hyd / 50hr CF / 510g Dough Balls / 15-16". Topped with Tomato Magic + small amount of Full Red with Salt, Pepper, EVOO, Sicilian Oregano, One fresh basil leaf chopped, and a touch of granulated garlic. I really liked the sauce this time. Cheese was Grande Romano down on the sauced skin, followed by a pinch of sicilian oregano, then Grande East Coast Blend, and finished post bake with 24 month Parmagiano Reggiano.

First pie was the regular cheese pie. I'm a huge fan of Philomena's and this pie reminded me of theirs a bit in the looks department which made me happy (just wish the crust was better)

Toppings on the second pie were meatballs I made using Impossible beef (for vegetarian friends) sliced, and dollops of ricotta, people seemed to love that one.

Third pie was a Scarr's style "Hot Boi" pie with half Seitan Pepperoni (for veg friends) / half Rosa Grande + JalapeŮo, and Mike's Extra Hot Honey.

Could have been a much worse pizza night, but just makes me more excited to do better next time!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2021, 11:26:21 PM »
Really Nice!!!!!!!

wordpress