A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joes Pizza NYC dough and sauce.  (Read 13823 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
Re: Joes Pizza NYC dough and sauce.
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
My opinion is no matter how long or short your CF is, that dough should always spend sometime at RT, at least an hour. Whether it's balled or bulk fermenting, I want to see it "move".  The only exception would be when it's very hot and humid. That's how it was in Malaysia and we always put the dough right into the fridge.

Online woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
I have to do the same , Houston is no different in middle of the summer
Thanks

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2020, 03:41:53 PM »

...It's 3.5lbs of sugar for 3.5 cases of Nina's (21 #10 cans)

Wow that's a big batch of sauce!

My calculation is 5 teaspoons of sugar for a 28 oz can of tomato. Below is my calc, hopefully someone can double-check.
Matt

Offline pvura

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2020, 04:06:33 PM »

My calculation is 5 teaspoons of sugar for a 28 oz can of tomato. Below is my calc, hopefully someone can double-check.

Thank you for this chart Matt!

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »
I don't know of any changes - that's the whole Joe's mantra - it never changes, it's always exactly the same. 

That's mostly a good thing but to be very honest, the topping they use are crap.  Presliced Pepperoni, pre-cooked and sliced Italian Sausage, etc. They made a conscious decision that although there are better quality items available, it'll stay same as it ever was. 

I really like their plain slice but my go to is fresh mozz. And the Sicilian is great. I usually skip the toppings...
Maybe my calculation was off for the sugar because obviously Joe's doesn't f..k around with 28oz cans.  It's 3.5lbs of sugar for 3.5 cases of Nina's (21 #10 cans)

Every stone/oven runs different, the back corners are always the hottest and that's where I'd measure. The stones would get to 625.  That's why the pie is launched off a peel and then screened after a minute or so.  Sometimes two screens and I've used 3 on occasion. There's a 30 second window between the pie being perfectly well done and burned...

I didn't want to say so, but that was the impression I came away with after eating at the Ann Arbor location. I got a Caprese slice, a supreme slice, and a Sicilian slice. The supreme was okay, but I thought the meats were pretty unimpressive, and I liked the Caprese slice a lot better overall. I'm glad I made the trek from Kalamazoo to eat there, though.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2020, 05:05:36 PM »

I was definitely off in my conversion! Thanks for doing that.

Yeah, it's always 21 cans, all hand-milled with a Tellier #3 into a huge pot that takes two guys to carry. And they use a big "oar" to mix in the sugar...

Offline pvura

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2020, 05:25:49 PM »

Yeah, it's always 21 cans, all hand-milled with a Tellier #3 into a huge pot that takes two guys to carry. And they use a big "oar" to mix in the sugar...

Hey andrew. Since the formulation does not have oil, how much would u suggest we add to help the dough brown in home ovens? Thanks!

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2020, 10:59:43 PM »
Hey andrew. Since the formulation does not have oil, how much would u suggest we add to help the dough brown in home ovens? Thanks!

I have no idea!!!  I've never made pizza at home and never had occasion to use anything else besides a commercial pizza oven - and I've used every type there is.

Maybe someone else who's an expert at home ovens can give some good advice...

Offline Roberto

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2020, 05:06:46 AM »
Hi thank you so much for the recipe.
Hire its not possible to bay a All trumps , I have at my disposition theCaputo Americana and the caputo Manitoba.
I will try whit this flour.
Good day everybody

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »
In my opinion, oil doesn't really do much of anything to help pizza crust brown. The recipe already has sugar in it, which should help do the trick. Just make sure you're operating at a temp of at least 500 degrees, and preferably as hot as your oven can get. There's no reason why you shouldn't get a nicely browned crust with that recipe as long as you're operating at a high temp and baking the pizza long enough.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »
andrew,

I noticed Joe's recipe calls for fresh yeast. I was recently texting with chau and I believe he mentioned better flavor and texture with fresh yeast vs idy. It's an oft-debated subject here, I believe Tom L did some experiments at the AIB and concluded no real difference between fresh, idy and ady while some members have expressed a preference for fresh yeast.

Do you have an opinion on this?

btw, thanks for sharing the story of joe's recipe, there's a similar story in the bbq world: Mike Mills, a champion BBQer shared the recipe for his "magic dust", (a bbq rub) because he felt in the end, no one could precisely duplicate the rub without understanding which spices are ground, which are store bought and where he sources the ingredients.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:58:22 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 11:17:04 AM »

Plastic or wood?  :-D
-Tony

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 10:01:38 PM »
Plastic or wood?  :-D

Dude!  You're 0-2!!!

Stainless steel of course...

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »
andrew,

I noticed Joe's recipe calls for fresh yeast. I was recently texting with chau and I believe he mentioned better flavor and texture with fresh yeast vs idy. It's an oft-debated subject here, I believe Tom L did some experiments at the AIB and concluded no real difference between fresh, idy and ady while some members have expressed a preference for fresh yeast.

Do you have an opinion on this?

btw, thanks for sharing the story of joe's recipe, there's a similar story in the bbq world: Mike Mills, a champion BBQer shared the recipe for his "magic dust", (a bbq rub) because he felt in the end, no one could precisely duplicate the rub without understanding which spices are ground, which are store bought and where he sources the ingredients.

I'm not sure what my opinion is to be honest.

I used fresh yeast at Two Boots and Three of Cups before I opened Lombardi's - so that's what I went with - because that's what I knew.   That's old school New York.  I've had this discussion with Scarr (who says I showed him how to make pizza at Lombardi's, but honestly don't remember) and he swears by fresh yeast because it produces the flavor profile he grew up with.  In addition to Lombardi's, Scarr cut his teeth at Joe's - so maybe it's just going with what you're used to.

I'm leaning more towards IDY these days.  I prefer to sprinkle IDY in between layers of flour with the salt on top at the end.  With fresh yeast, I always "hand dissolved" the yeast into the water, then added salt (and then sugar and oil if that was part of the recipe). 

I've never done a blind side-by-side comparison.  Just guessing, I'd say there is no discernible difference. 

Offline paris401

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 07:49:32 AM »
some great tips... as there is no pizza that compares..

not having a pizza oven, one thing i have read is a piece of steel will conduct the home oven temp better then the ceramic stone i have been using...  any comments??

Offline NYSliceUK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2020, 09:49:16 AM »
Hi Andrew. Thanks for the info. I knew you'd worked at Joe's and other places, so I've been stalking your posts for a while now and I've always found them informative. 😉

Does Joe's use any other type of cheese other than mozzarella? Thanks

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2020, 09:43:44 PM »
Hi Andrew. Thanks for the info. I knew you'd worked at Joe's and other places, so I've been stalking your posts for a while now and I've always found them informative. 😉

Does Joe's use any other type of cheese other than mozzarella? Thanks

Hey NYSlice UK _ happy to help.  Joe's uses technically 3 cheeses:  Grande Low Moisture, part skim mozzarella - appx 3/4lb per 18" pizza.  Also uses Grande Ricotta for the white pizza and locally sourced fresh mozzarella loaf - sliced in house - for the fresh mozzarella and caprese pies.  They don't use any hard/grated cheese - not even for customers to shake onto slices post-bake.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2020, 09:46:41 PM »

not having a pizza oven, one thing i have read is a piece of steel will conduct the home oven temp better then the ceramic stone i have been using...  any comments??

I've never made pizza in a home oven.  I know there are many different "hacks" to emulate a commercial oven at home.  Hopefully one of the "home experts" can chime in...

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2020, 10:22:51 PM »

Steel transfers heat a lot faster and makes for a faster bake with a better oven spring. I've tried all sorts of stones, ceramics and steel and the steel wins for pizza in my usage. I was going to buy a higher heat outdoor oven this year but with the steel I no longer need it. Under $100 vs. $5000 and up.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2020, 10:40:11 PM »

I'm probably one of the oddballs here (maybe even the only one), but I swear by my baking stone. I got a pretty good baking steel for Christmas last year, and I've given it every opportunity, in several side-by-side pizza cook-offs, and separately, and I still vastly prefer the pizzas made on my stone. I don't have any science to argue with; I just know what tastes best to me. I don't know what it is. I've tried the steel in different positions in the oven, with plenty of time to heat up, and there's just no comparison. The flavor of any crust made on the steel is just always lacking in comparison to ones made on the stone; kind of flat and muted. And the crispiness of the crust is not really any better either. I know what people will say when they read this: "you just haven't got a really good steel". But I don't care. I'll put my pizzas made on my stone up against a pizza made on a steel any time. I don't feel any need to go shopping for a better steel.

wordpress