A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joes Pizza NYC dough and sauce.  (Read 15172 times)

Offline MGJBLKTR

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Joes Pizza NYC dough and sauce.
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2021, 01:23:42 PM »
I was wondering the same thing....perhaps they're using the shredding disc opposed to the finer milling discs that come with the hand mill.

Offline MGJBLKTR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2021, 12:29:30 PM »
I followed the recipe from this tread with Nina DOP, Grande Part Skim and Fresh Mozz I make from Grande Curd.  Pizza turned out excellent.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:31:18 PM by MGJBLKTR »

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2021, 01:32:18 PM »
I followed the recipe from this tread with Nina DOP, Grande Part Skim and Fresh Mozz I make from Grande Curd.  Pizza turned out excellent.

Beautiful!!! Need to finally give this recipe a shot!

Offline novawaly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »
Great looking pie! What cheese to sauce amounts on that first pie? Looks picturesque. 14"?

Offline MGJBLKTR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
Great looking pie! What cheese to sauce amounts on that first pie? Looks picturesque. 14"?

Thank you.  Both NY style pies had a full 8oz ladle of sauce and about 12oz of shredded cheese.  All pies were 18"

Offline John_H

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2021, 01:14:14 AM »
Maybe my calculation was off for the sugar because obviously Joe's doesn't f..k around with 28oz cans.  It's 3.5lbs of sugar for 3.5 cases of Nina's (21 #10 cans)

Thanks for sharing your experience and these recipes Andrew.  It's not everyday professionals of your caliber are willing to part with what is usually guarded knowledge.  Just curious... never having been to NY is Joe's amount of sugar common for most slice shops or are they definitely on the sweet side of the Big Apple?

Thanks so much again!  Some day I hope to make it out to NYC and have the chance to drop by your shop for a slice.  Until then I wish you much success but I think you've already found it!

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2021, 05:56:54 PM »
Those pies sure do look beautiful!! like Portnoy says "Cheese pie is the gold standard"  What type of oven and setup are you using, on the fresh mozz are those square slices that you slice up? Do you prefer cheese on top?  Lot of questions, but when I see pies like that I gotta try to replicate  :D  Thanks! 

Offline novawaly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »

Are you using crushed tomatoes or thinned via food mill or mesh strainer

Offline fishyguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2021, 12:48:36 PM »
MGJBLKTR - amazing looking pie! and special thanks to Mr Andrew being so generous with his knowledge! It looks like the Joe's sauce to dough ratio by weight is around 35% and cheese to dough is about 55%. That makes sense I've seen the pizza review saying there's barely any cheese and sauce but the ratios are perfect! 

My question was any reason they use the part skim?..i've heard part skim has less flavor than whole milk. I live in Canada so our quality and option of cheese is not great. We do have certain San Marzano brand canned tomatoes though

Also do they  through out the tomatoe juice in the Nina cans? I'm guessing yes
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 12:53:16 PM by fishyguy »

Offline Majik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »
Going to give Andrew's recipe a shot, but the only thing I'm curious is do they always use screens? I've gone several times to Joe's over the past 2 months to grab a slice and watch them make some pies, though I haven't seen them use any pizza screens, unless they leave them in the oven. I can see why it's necessary, though I am wondering if things maybe have changed recently? I don't feel like they would, but I'm under the impression it could be because there is lower volume of pies to crank out and maybe temps are different since they don't need to constantly open and shut the oven. I am going to go again in a few days just to confirm. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2021, 11:20:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience and these recipes Andrew.  It's not everyday professionals of your caliber are willing to part with what is usually guarded knowledge.  Just curious... never having been to NY is Joe's amount of sugar common for most slice shops or are they definitely on the sweet side of the Big Apple?

Thanks so much again!  Some day I hope to make it out to NYC and have the chance to drop by your shop for a slice.  Until then I wish you much success but I think you've already found it!

Hey John,

Always a pleasure to share any info I can.  It's always a debate on "sweet NY sauce".  Certainly places add sugar, but I'd bet an equal amount don't.  And then theres a lowert-end category that uses pre-made pizza sauce that tends to be on the sweet side (to me).  I'm not a fan of adding sugar to my tomatoes.  I like the tomatoes to speak for themselves and season the pie to work with the tomatoes (adding pecorino romano to the tomatoes before baking and black pepper & parm post-bake).  I'm also dusting the board with salt for my plain pies...

Going to give Andrew's recipe a shot, but the only thing I'm curious is do they always use screens? I've gone several times to Joe's over the past 2 months to grab a slice and watch them make some pies, though I haven't seen them use any pizza screens, unless they leave them in the oven. I can see why it's necessary, though I am wondering if things maybe have changed recently? I don't feel like they would, but I'm under the impression it could be because there is lower volume of pies to crank out and maybe temps are different since they don't need to constantly open and shut the oven. I am going to go again in a few days just to confirm. Thanks for sharing!

On almost every pie, Joe's uses screens.  The pie gets launched off the peel (no screen) and bakes for about 2 minutes before a screen is used.  There's a 30-second window between the pie needing to be screened and the bottom being burned.  Sometimes pies in the back of the slice deck don't need screens because that deck runs slower, but the rest get screened pretty much every time.

Offline pvura

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2021, 03:28:51 PM »
Going to give Andrew's recipe a shot, but the only thing I'm curious is do they always use screens? I've gone several times to Joe's over the past 2 months to grab a slice and watch them make some pies, though I haven't seen them use any pizza screens, unless they leave them in the oven.

You can get a look at the process of screening the pies at about 2:10 of this video. Seems to me that, just like Andrew said, the pies get screened pretty early on. Definitely less than 3 mins into the bake. Hope the video helps.

Offline Majik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »
You can get a look at the process of screening the pies at about 2:10 of this video. Seems to me that, just like Andrew said, the pies get screened pretty early on. Definitely less than 3 mins into the bake. Hope the video helps.

Thanks for providing an example. Im going to a location again tomorrow so Ill keep my eyes out for when they use the screen. Its also good to know they may not use them if the pies are towards the back of the oven, though Im guessing Ive just missed the screening process several times since it seems to happen pretty quickly.

Offline MGJBLKTR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »
Those pies sure do look beautiful!! like Portnoy says "Cheese pie is the gold standard"  What type of oven and setup are you using, on the fresh mozz are those square slices that you slice up? Do you prefer cheese on top?  Lot of questions, but when I see pies like that I gotta try to replicate  :D  Thanks!

I have two ovens in my back yard, one is a wood fire oven that I don't make the typical Neapolitan pizza, rather my exact NY recipe after I blast heat the oven and only cook pizza when its red coals rather than fire from the wood....sometimes I just use anthracite coal but its tricky without a forced air source beneath the coal fire.  My second oven is a commercial Bakers Pride that you'd see in most NY pizza places that I had built into a metal frame and covered with stonework.

As for the fresh mozz, I usually round it into balls but usually they get a little deformed sitting in the fridge.  I need to figure out how to make a loaf.  Also, Grande just released a new fresh mozz loaf so I'm going to try that very soon. 

Offline MGJBLKTR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2021, 03:51:45 PM »
Are you using crushed tomatoes or thinned via food mill or mesh strainer
  I use a food mil as what was instructed in this tread.  It does seem a little thinner than what is seen in the Joe's Pizza vids on Youtube.

Offline MGJBLKTR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2021, 03:57:51 PM »
MGJBLKTR - amazing looking pie! and special thanks to Mr Andrew being so generous with his knowledge! It looks like the Joe's sauce to dough ratio by weight is around 35% and cheese to dough is about 55%. That makes sense I've seen the pizza review saying there's barely any cheese and sauce but the ratios are perfect! 

My question was any reason they use the part skim?. I've heard part skim has less flavor than whole milk. I live in Canada so our quality and option of cheese is not great. We do have certain San Marzano brand canned tomatoes though

Also do they  through out the tomato juice in the Nina cans? I'm guessing yes

Part skim isn't as flavorful as whole milk or the east coast blend , but also is less greasy.  I prefer to shred part skim and whole milk and make my own east coast blend.  As for the juice.....I pour the entire can into the mill, maybe that's why mine sauce isn't as thick as Joe's.  I've used the Costco Nina, which are fantastic but the San Marzano DOP Nina are even better but I have to order those online and its a small fortune.

Hope this helps.

Offline MGJBLKTR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2021, 04:02:03 PM »
I know it was said that Joes runs whole peeled through a food mill but I was just watching this video below and saw them sauce a pie - this is a screen shot I took. I looks like the texture of crushed? Are they thickening with something or perhaps using much less fine sieves than my food mill has bc anytime I pass mine through the food mill, the consistency is much much thinner than this

here's the full video link

I have the same issue using the food mill.  My sauce is much thinner.  I'm going to try just putting the tomatoes in the mill and not the liquid they come backed in next time I make pizza.

Offline M.g

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2021, 01:24:47 PM »
I think I'm on target 100%, crispy from the first bite and staying crispy even after an hour

wordpress