A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ideal temperatures Effeuno 500 degrees  (Read 616 times)

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
Ideal temperatures Effeuno 500 degrees
« on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:56 PM »
I am a bit confused about the correct temperatures of the Effeuno 500 degrees. I've read on an Italian forum that the heat needs to come from beneath, like top 300 C and bottom 350C. Others i've read suggested the heat comes from above, like top 450C and bottom 200C and turning up the oven to 500C right before entering the pizza. On the Italian forum they say not to worry about the thermostate since it isn't a Ferrari oven. I've been experimenting with top 500C and bottom 200C but i find it under cooked after 60 seconds.

I'd like to know what you guys think is the ideal temperature for Neapolitan style pizza's with 70% hydrated dough.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
Re: Ideal temperatures Effeuno 500 degrees
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 07:09:34 PM »
As I read this I am sure I have read within the last year and a bit about temperatures above and below and their affects, perhaps a search will get you to your answer faster. GSans, Schold  and another member who’s name I have forgotten. Some did many mods, some none at all, but I know I have read the descriptions but paid little attention because I don’t have the oven . . .it was very close once though.

Hope you can find the info
Greg
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 02:51:00 PM »
Been searching an reading and still charring bottoms. Anybody has an idea what the maximum heat of a saputo stone should be?

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 03:28:35 AM »
After doing more research it seems the temperature of the stone should be somewhere between 400 degrees and 430 degrees and measured with a infra red gun instead of relying on the thermostat like i did. Thursday i will bake some pizza's and see how it goes.

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 11:05:04 AM »
After doing more research it seems the temperature of the stone should be somewhere between 400 degrees and 430 degrees and measured with a infra red gun instead of relying on the thermostat like i did. Thursday i will bake some pizza's and see how it goes.
i set the thermostat to 400c normally and the base doesnt burn at all

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 04:33:37 AM »
From the moment on i started using the infrared gun and measuring the stone temperature, my bottoms don't burn anymore.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 09:17:44 AM »
I've been baking in a p134h for a couple of years.  My conclusion is that the upper element/thermostat has a huge impact on the surface temperature of the biscotto, while the lower seems to more influence how much thermal energy is stored in the biscotto.

For Neapolitan I prefer to keep the lower inactive and the upper red hot.  So I might set the oven to 400C/300C (upper/lower), and when I start extending I turn the upper to 500C.  Like that I see about 470C on the biscotto when I put the pizza in, and the upper element is red hot the whole bake through.  The lower element hardly ever comes on, and serves mainly for the preheat.  I seem to lose about 100C from the upside to the underside of the biscotto.  So if I have the upper thermostat set at 400C, the underside will be at about 300C (judged by the lower thermostat).

I like this as I think the bottom has a tendency to become crispy if I keep the lower thermostat at a higher setting, something I don't really think belongs in a Napoletana.

On the other hand when I bake tonda romana I also use the biscotto but in this case I keep the lower thermostat at 450C and the upper at 300-350C.  The higher setting below leads to a biscotto surface temperature of about 350C and helps me get the crunchy bottom I want for this style.  I theorize that even though the surface temperature isn't really higher, there is much more energy stored in the biscotto which helps bake the bottom the way I want it.

Regarding hydration for Napolitana, I've used Caputo pizzeria at 60% for a long time, lately I've lowered this to 58% and I find that it leads to a better baked pizza.  It was a long time ago that I tried a high hydration like 70% for Napoletana, but I think that you'd probably need even more heat or a longer than 60 seconds bake time for this to be properly baked (but that's just a speculation on my part)...

Sorry for the late post and happy to hear that you've solved your problem, still I thought my musings might be useful to someone!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

wordpress