A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza 2 of 2 up for review  (Read 425 times)

Offline AtHomePizza

• Looking for that secret recipe
Pizza 2 of 2 up for review
« on: February 06, 2021, 05:03:16 PM »
Ingredients
00 Flour          239g
Regular Flour   1 cup (forget to convert to actual grams) :-[
Water             166g
Sugar               21g
Yeast                  1g
Salt                    6g
Malt                   5g
Oil                   1.25 Tblsppon  (forget to convert to actual grams) :-[

Cooked on Stone in grill @ about 525 degrees for 9 minutes.

Questions / Concerns :
1 - This dough was a pleasure to stretch to a pie.
The weigh itself actually helped. It only took a minute or two to get into pie shape.
Based on the above ingredients, do you think it was the water % of the amount of oil?

2 - The bottom looked great, almost looked a bit burnt but no burnt taste what so ever.
But as with Pizza 1, the crust itself was still white and a bit chewy.
Images shown below and it does appear a bit undercooked, but cooking any longer and would have definitely burnt the bottom.
How to get the crust more crispy without burning the bottom?

3 - As mentioned above, this dough was a please to stretch out and actually was very thin.
How did it go from being so thin before going on the grill and get so thick coming out?
What needs to change to get more NY style crust?

Images
1 - Shows the dough proofed nicely.
2 - Pie was a nice size. Outer crust a bit undercooked. 
3 - Bottom looks great!!
4 - Still a bit thicker and undercooked.

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
Re: Pizza 2 of 2 up for review
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 05:23:21 PM »
Before I got an outdoor oven, I made a lot of pizzas on my gas grill.  After much experimentation, I found the best setup was to use a stone, elevated a couple or three inches off the grate (I used an veggie grill basket) and shielded from direct heat with foil or a baking sheet on the grate.  This gets the pizza up into the hotter "dome" of the grill, and keeps the stone from getting too hot.  Preheat a little lower, and then crank all burners on full at launch time.  Don't peek for the first few minutes.  This was enough for me to get good browning on both bottom AND top crusts with cook times in the 6-8 minute range.  There are other, more invasive grill hacks that can give you faster, hotter cooks, but this might be all you need to get you where you want to go.

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 05:30:23 PM »
Before I got an outdoor oven, I made a lot of pizzas on my gas grill.  After much experimentation, I found the best setup was to use a stone, elevated a couple or three inches off the grate (I used an veggie grill basket) and shielded from direct heat with foil or a baking sheet on the grate.  This gets the pizza up into the hotter "dome" of the grill, and keeps the stone from getting too hot.  Preheat a little lower, and then crank all burners on full at launch time.  Don't peek for the first few minutes.  This was enough for me to get good browning on both bottom AND top crusts with cook times in the 6-8 minute range.  There are other, more invasive grill hacks that can give you faster, hotter cooks, but this might be all you need to get you where you want to go.

Actually my grill is an infrared grill which had a layer under the grate.
When I first started cooking on the grill, the temperature wasn't getting hot enough.
After removing the infrared portion and only leaving the grate was the temperature able to get about 500.
With the infrared plates, it was only getting about 450 if i recall correctly.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »
i think you’d be better served creating one thread and add a new reply for each pizza you bake. then you’ll have a history of all your bakes, with photos, in one place.

great start, you may want to consider a  fibrament stone, it offers low heat conductivity which will slow down your bottom bake, allowing the top to bake longer. also, what is your dough process and what type of yeast are using? and is “regular” flour all purpose? ny pizza is typically made with higher protein flour.

have you tried the forum’s dough calculator? you may want to start with a thickness factor of .08

best,
jeff

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 09:25:14 PM »
i think you’d be better served creating one thread and add a new reply for each pizza you bake. then you’ll have a history of all your bakes, with photos, in one place.

great start, you may want to consider a  fibrament stone, it offers low heat conductivity which will slow down your bottom bake, allowing the top to bake longer. also, what is your dough process and what type of yeast are using? and is “regular” flour all purpose? ny pizza is typically made with higher protein flour.

have you tried the forum’s dough calculator? you may want to start with a thickness factor of .08

best,
Currently using a solido stone.
Found a recipe on this site geared toward a thickness of .08 and going to test with that this weekend.
I thought using a single thread for each pizza makes it hard to follow as there could be a dozen variations and unlikely that anyone reading the tread will actually read all the replies.
What usually happens is people reply about the first few posts even though it may be outdated.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 10:07:11 PM »
Currently using a solido stone.
Found a recipe on this site geared toward a thickness of .08 and going to test with that this weekend.
I thought using a single thread for each pizza makes it hard to follow as there could be a dozen variations and unlikely that anyone reading the tread will actually read all the replies.
What usually happens is people reply about the first few posts even though it may be outdated.

I think if you look around a bit you'll see most of us have a single thread. For example:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39200.0
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51924.0
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59406.0
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33831.0

but there's no hard and fast rule and it seems like you've done some analysis. your solido stone is made of corderite which is around 4x times more conductive than fibramentD

best of luck to you,

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 10:12:20 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

wordpress