A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Fornography: A Neapolitan pizza journey.  (Read 79364 times)

Offline stefan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Fornography: A Neapolitan pizza journey.
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2020, 03:16:25 AM »
Very beautiful! Which temperatures does your Koda 16 reach at the back and the center of the stone? I own a regular Koda and think about leveling up to have some more space ;)

Offline fornographer

« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2020, 06:56:48 AM »
It is comforting to get outside the box and still succeed. Your pies are most excellent. Do you share your pizzas with any locals?  I find it fun when a person in the age group of 8 to 11, who will  accept anything pizza, realizes, there is actually something better out there than what they have had in the past. Educating the public is fun. Be careful though, you may ruin them for life. Nice pies!

Thank you. Pre-lockdown, yes, we'd have pizza parties. You're correct, my youngest has turned into a discerning pizza connoisseur.

Offline fornographer

« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2020, 07:03:43 AM »
Wow! Very nice looking pies. 

You mixed in some whole grains there?

Thank you.  For quite a while now, I have been playing with different mixes of flour.  On this one I put in rye, einkhorn, and wheat bran along with the 00 flour (polselli).  Incredible flavor...just incredible. It tasted creamy and nutty along with the flavor developed over the long ferment. With the very quick bakes possible in the new oven, I feel like I have surpassed the pies I've eaten at restaurants.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:51:55 PM by fornographer »

Offline fornographer

« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2020, 07:09:09 AM »
Very beautiful! Which temperatures does your Koda 16 reach at the back and the center of the stone? I own a regular Koda and think about leveling up to have some more space ;)

I had it running for a little over an hour at full blast before I launched the first pie.  At the back it was registering in the upper 900s, in the middle in the upper 800s, and on the far right in the upper 700s.  The left side would cook very fast so I'd turn from there, using the tiny Ooni peel, and rotate while paying close attention. 

Kudos to the engineers of this oven. Blows my mind that I can finally cook pies that FEEL like they came out of a large commercial oven!

Offline crawsdaddy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »
Glad to see you back after long absence :D :D :D

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2020, 06:16:12 PM »
How do you think NY style would come out in the ooni 16?

Offline fornographer

« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2020, 06:34:41 PM »
How do you think NY style would come out in the ooni 16?

I am not sure. I do not make NY pies. I think it may be possible on the lowest setting.  But with the flame so close to the pie and so little thermal mass, the oven is more of an all or nothing deal when it comes to heat.  What temps do NY pies bake at? 500F-600F?

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
Yes, I believe 500 to 600 is correct, but Lucali in NY uses a wood fired oven cooking at high temps.  I have a Forno Bravo WFO, but its just me and my wife at home now, so its not worth it to fire up the oven for only a few pies.  Would you say that the Koda 16 is a quality product?  I would like to continue to make NP style pies, but also have the option to make NY as well.  Thanks!

Offline fornographer

« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2020, 05:08:50 PM »
Yes, I believe 500 to 600 is correct, but Lucali in NY uses a wood fired oven cooking at high temps.  I have a Forno Bravo WFO, but its just me and my wife at home now, so its not worth it to fire up the oven for only a few pies.  Would you say that the Koda 16 is a quality product?  I would like to continue to make NP style pies, but also have the option to make NY as well.  Thanks!

I've only used it 3 times so far.  Only time will tell if it is a quality product.  First impressions are that it is well built.  It was also packaged well. I think it is possible to cook NY pies on the Ooni Koda. 

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2020, 11:33:15 PM »
The more I see YouTube videos featuring the 16 the more I want it! I also have about $200.00 in credit card points, plus I found a code for fifty  bucks off!   I think it's Oonie Koda time.  Thanks for your input

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »
Just found this thread and I would like to say that your pies are incredible! I hope you post more photos soon  :drool: