A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Carbon oven NP pies  (Read 882 times)

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Carbon oven NP pies
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:47:53 AM »
Interested in seeing everyone's oven set up and NP  pies.  These were done on the stock stone on top of a 1/4" steel plate.  No lazy susan on this bake.  In hindsight, I don't think the steel plate made much of a difference.  I will remove the steel plate and repeat the experiment with just the stock stone in place.  FWIW, I felt these were really close to my wfo pies. 

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:37:10 AM by Jackie Tran »

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Carbon oven NP pies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 12:49:54 PM »
Did a shoot out today to see the difference if any between the Carbon oven and my Pizza Party WFO. 

For this bake, I increased my dough hydration from 63 to 66% (63% water + 3% lard), so I had to also adjust my bake time in both ovens.  First 2 pies are from the Carbon oven at 80s seconds or so.   Loaded on the stock floor at around 800.   I'm going to load future pies at 750-775f to offset the longer bake. 

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 12:55:55 PM »
These are the WFO pies using the same dough formula at 66%EH.   I've been at 63% for sometime now, but this is my new favorite.  First pie the oven was baking hot and it came out around 45s.   2nd one was closer to 70-80s and was sooo good.  Last pie was my favorite of the 4. 

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 01:14:49 PM »
And the winner is ?
WFO based on the last pie ?
Marty

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 01:27:28 PM »
And the winner is ?
WFO based on the last pie ?

Yes...while the Carbon (and other gas fueled) ovens can make good NP, there is something inherently different about a WFO bake when done side by side.  Whether it is that slight hint of smokiness or just the overall even heat surrounding the pie during the bake.   

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 02:29:29 PM »
Thanks for posting all of this, Chau. I haven't set my Carbon up yet and more snow is on the way, so I'll need to wait a bit longer.

That said, I feel I have a real head start based on all your posts!

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 03:01:20 PM »
Thanks for posting all of this, Chau. I haven't set my Carbon up yet and more snow is on the way, so I'll need to wait a bit longer.

Ah yes, I remember the wet snows in March and April in Colorado.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 03:17:10 PM »

What part of Colorado are you in?  Is there a storm coming next week?  Are any of the ski resorts still open?   That would be amazing...

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 06:41:49 PM »
What part of Colorado are you in?  Is there a storm coming next week?  Are any of the ski resorts still open?   That would be amazing...

Denver! Just some light stuff, on and off, thru Friday here in town. Not sure about the mountains, though I'd guess more. The state can use all it can get!

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 01:57:38 PM »
Some recent NP pies from the Carbon oven.

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 02:12:21 PM »
These are 50/50 Caputo 00/AP flour.  About 90s bake. 

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 09:21:11 PM »
New Carbon oven set up using Firebrick on the stock floor to elevate the pie closer to the top flame.   I can now do slightly sub 60s bakes but still prefer 70-80s for my particular dough formula. 

Ardent mills Hotel & Restaurant AP flour.  Cold bulk for 20hrs then finished out in the cooler 10hrs, balled and proofed at 67F for 12hrs.  Floor temp 850f 60-70s pies.   These were pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 07:39:16 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 03:46:11 AM »
New Carbon oven set up using Firebrick on the stock floor to elevate the pie closer to the top flame.   I can now do slightly sub 60s bakes but still prefer 70s for my particular dough formula.

Chau,

How long is your heating time with the Firebrick increased over just the standard floor?
Paul

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 07:44:32 AM »
Chau,

How long is your heating time with the Firebrick increased over just the standard floor?

Really wasn't that much longer.  Maybe 20m instead of 15m?   I'll see if I can't remember to time tonight's heat up with the FB.

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2021, 02:28:34 PM »
A few SD pies bake about 80s on the stock floor @ 750-775f.   Seems to be the sweet spot for my dough.  These are malted AP flour pies.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:33:59 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
Did about 9 pies last night.  Ended up raining hard around cook time so I setup in our screened in porch.  Was not sure how it would work out, but was better than expected.  Setup oven above the highest ceiling height (about 12 feet).  Had ceiling fan and a floor fan going.  Extra heat was not a concern.

I used too much yeast for my process and knew this after my room temp ferment, cut it short by a few hours - balled and cold ferment for about 3 days.  Knew it would get out of control so only took out of fridge 2 hours before cooking.  Still had some big wild bubbles - but got thru it.  Had some issues holding round shape....more work to do on my dough process.
Used a new flour mix of 1/2 Caputo Pizzeria and 1/2 Caputo Super Nuvola - was happy with output...should get even better as my doughmaking improves.

Cooked at floor temp of 750-800.  Usually crank top burner to max between cooks, then down to low when I launch.

Margherita
Sausage + Broccolini
Feta, Kalmata, Banana Peppers
Pesto
Soprasetta, Papadew peppers and hot honey

did not get pics of Mushroom and Burratta + Cacio y Pepe

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 12:28:11 AM »
Nice work.  I need to make a pesto pie again sometime.  It's been too long. 

Did a trial NP bake with a malted BF today and I was impressed by the results.  Will definitely be repeating this experiment.  Stock floor @750f, a bit HOT.   Will try at 700F next.   

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 08:53:19 PM »
I ran through the 25lb bag of AP pretty quick and have been playing with Minn Girl's Baker's flour, which is a BF I think.   I've also been experimenting with comparing RT fermentation versus cold and cool ferments.   

Tonight's pies had me smiling.  Been doing a lot of mediocre pies lately but these I was happy with.  MGBF, 60w, 0.05CY, 2.8s, 3l. 12hr [email protected], [email protected]
Carbon oven 2 stock stones stacked, 880f-900f, 72s bake.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:56:00 PM by Jackie Tran »

wordpress