A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 9slicePie’s NY Style Pizza Thread  (Read 1540 times)

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: 9slicePie’s NY Style Pizza Thread
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2021, 02:30:13 PM »
That's my plan.  It's why I'm trying to figure out how large is screen is.  Mine is 18 inches, and so I wanna tweak his formula.

I would not tweak his formula. Just make the dough, try not to stretch it to the full 18 if it starts to tear.  Or go on Instagram and ask him what size screen he used.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2021, 02:37:45 PM »
And how about this with my 16" screen.

Peter

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2021, 02:46:45 PM »
And how about this with my 16" screen.

Peter
Based on that pic, I would now say that the dude's screen is either 16 or possibly 18.

Thanks for your input, everyone.
Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = He is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = I hope you're kidding.
Than vs. Then = If you score more points than the other team, then you will win the game.
Principal vs. Principle = The high school Principal is a man of principles.
It’s vs its = It’s beautiful in its own way.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2021, 07:09:40 PM »
Based on that pic, I would now say that the dude's screen is either 16 or possibly 18.

Thanks for your input, everyone.

Yes, and more likely 16 than 18 in my view. I'm basing it on the size of the slices.

I gotta ask, why the obsession with this video? Nothing wrong with using whatever you choose for inspiration,  but it's more common for people to start with a formula from one of the pizzamakers here on the forum. (Which is good because you can interact with the person.)

Matt

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2021, 07:31:45 PM »
QUESTION:

Is letting the dough get kneaded by the kitchen aid mixer for 20 mins too long? (as done in the video)
Can someone please chime in on this? ^^

Because I also read the following today (see pic below):
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:48:43 PM by 9slicePie »
There = He is there now.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Than vs. Then = If you score more points than the other team, then you will win the game.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2021, 12:07:54 PM »
Yes, and more likely 16 than 18 in my view. I'm basing it on the size of the slices.

I gotta ask, why the obsession with this video? Nothing wrong with using whatever you choose for inspiration,  but it's more common for people to start with a formula from one of the pizzamakers here on the forum. (Which is good because you can interact with the person.)
Just noticed this post.

hahaha, I'm "obsessed" with that video because he's using a pizza screen like I am and successfully made a nice looking pie, especially without being meticulous about weighing ingredients.  He didn't get a CRACKING under-crust like me.  I posted my undercrust and wanted to show you guys how his came out.

So I figure, if HE can do it, why can't I?  ;D
There = He is there now.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2021, 02:25:47 PM »
Can someone please chime in on this? ^^

Because I also read the following today (see pic below):
9slicePie,

You really shouldn't place too much weight or emphasis on knead times. There are too many factors that go into kneading a dough properly. Specifically, in the case of knead times, they are typically governed by the type of machine used to knead the dough (such as a stand mixer, food processor or bread maker), the particular attachments and speeds used to mix and knead the dough, the specific way of combining the different dough ingredients, whether an autolyse rest period is used, the amount of dough, and even the type of dough. And there are those who knead entirely by hand and use stretch and folds and the like.

A NY style dough is likely to have fewer kneading problems than other types of dough (such as a low hydration cracker style dough) but what is most important is that the dough not be kneaded to the point where it will pass the so-called windowpane test. But, even then, there will be people who still like using the windowpane test. I remember when I started to make pizza dough, I used the windowpane test, and it was for the NY style. In good measure, my use was based on the fact that several well known bakers and cooks at the time used that method, including Peter Reinhart, Alton Brown and Jeffrey Steingarten. It wasn't until I had an exchange with Tom Lehmann in which I had mentioned the windowpane test in passing (I had originally asked him for advice on other matters) that he told me to forget the windowpane test. You can see the substance of that exchange at Reply 2 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5319.html#msg5319.

From that time on, I pretty much stopped using the windowpane test but I continued to post on this subject from time to time since the matter of windowpaning a dough would come up from time to time with new (and existing) members. As examples of posts where I further elaborated on the windowpane test, see

Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5083.msg43133.html#msg43133,

Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12291.msg116476/topicseen.html#msg116476, and

Reply 440 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg28694/topicseen.html#msg28694.

Interestingly, I later got the impression from member John Fazzari (fazzari) that Peter Reinhart had moved away from the idea of windowpaning, as I so noted at Reply 27 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14038.msg141035#msg141035. However, it is not clear what motivated such a change. It may even have been recipe specific or a temporary measure.

Peter

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2021, 04:18:05 PM »
wow thanks, Pete-zza.

Very eye-opening because I never heard of the window-pane test being cast aside (not that I use that test myself).

Interesting.
There = He is there now.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2021, 05:10:05 AM »
I think one of the reasons is that pizza dough in general is fermented/matured for a long time, so the needed gluten will develop all by itself.  Possibly mixing all the way to a successful window pane test would cause problems down the line (stretching).

When baking bread the priorities are normally a bit different, a much shorter fermentation and we want the dough to keep it's form and retain the maximum of CO2.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2021, 03:55:11 PM »
So I accurately attempted the recipe in that video.  A few things:

-As I mentioned, I followed his work-flow carefully. But I had to add MORE flour because mine was TOOOOO wet!  He said 3 cups of flour and 1.5 cups of water.  (Are these units different in Canada?  :-D) Because his began to form a ball once he turned on his mixer; that didnt happen with me.

-The undercrust didn't BREAK/CRACK as much as my previous attempt, but there was minimal cracking near the crust (which I guess is expected when folding).

-Maybe I will tweak his formula.  He only used 1 tablespoon of oil.  Someone in this thread mentioned that oil is a tenderizer, so maybe adding more oil will help prevent in the minimal cracking I experienced.
There = He is there now.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2021, 04:57:33 PM »
So the undercrust is no longer an issue, but now I have another problem.

(Btw, before I go on, maybe a mod can change the title of this thread to “9icePie’s NY style pizza thread”)

The problem now is that even though I’m applying a lot of sauce on the dough, my sauce is “lacking” after the pizza comes out of the oven.   It’s almost as if it “evaporates” away.  What could be causing this?  There’s a decent amount of cheese atop the sauce.

EDIT:  Let me put it this way,, the amount of sauce on the final product in almost all of the pizza videos I've seen have significantly more sauce than my final product.  And I put a lot of sauce on, too.  (99% RED color on the skin).  So what could be causing this?

And thanks to the mode who changed the thread title.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:37:36 AM by 9slicePie »
There = He is there now.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2021, 11:37:03 AM »
I edited the above post.
There = He is there now.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
A picture of your pie pre-bake with sauce only will help. What's alot of sauce to you may be less to others (mainly me as I like a saucy pie). Not just % coverage, but also how thin a layer.

Sauce consistency makes a difference too. I need to put more sauce if it's not super thin.

Matt

wordpress