A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My Best Yet - 8 Day Cold Ferment  (Read 1144 times)

Offline TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
My Best Yet - 8 Day Cold Ferment
« on: April 09, 2021, 12:58:02 AM »
The pizza dough that created this pie was cold fermented for 8 days. Turned out fantastic. Verrrry tender interior with a beautiful pore structure in the crumb. Exterior remained crisp and crackly. The relatively high hydration combined with the long fermentation produces a supple, extensible, and somewhat delicate dough that requires some care when handling. Best I've ever done. I suspect I could scale back the oil with a fermentation this long and still get the tenderness that I'm looking for. Questions and comments more than welcome!

Flour      100%
Diastatic malt      1%
Water     68%
IDY     0.18%
Salt     2.6%
EVOO     3.0%

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: My Best Yet - 8 Day Cold Ferment
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 05:51:20 AM »
Yum!  Love them old, cold doughs!
Reesa

Offline TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »
Yum!  Love them old, cold doughs!

Thanks! Me too. I'm just wondering what the next step should be because I've gotten the recipe almost exactly how I like it. Perhaps diving into a whole new pizza style is in order. Maybe Chicago.  :pizza:  :chef:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:38:15 AM by TurkeyOnRye »

Offline AhhBeets

• This is not a Hobby This is Pizza
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
Outstanding I routinely do 5 to 8 day ferments they consistently come out great.
Mike

Offline bethj

• Pizza! Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »
Beautiful!

A question:  do you do any kind of ferment at RT after mixing the dough, or just mix and straight into the fridge?

TIA.

Offline TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 12:21:52 PM »
Outstanding I routinely do 5 to 8 day ferments they consistently come out great.

Thank you! I agree, the long slow ferments make a night-and-day difference.

Beautiful!

A question:  do you do any kind of ferment at RT after mixing the dough, or just mix and straight into the fridge?

TIA.

Thank you for the feedback.  :D

Yes, I do a bulk ferment for 3-4 hours. The goal is to get the dough to inflate to 1.5 times it's size before balling and going into the fridge. I'm only interested in kick-starting fermentation; it is not necessary to get it to double in size. The vast majority of the maturation will occur in the fridge.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 12:23:24 PM by TurkeyOnRye »

Offline bethj

• Pizza! Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 08:36:51 PM »
Thank you.  Very helpful.   :)

Offline Chronic mole

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 11:34:16 AM »
absolutely beautiful.

Offline TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 12:35:18 AM »

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 01:00:21 PM »
What oven temp are you using? Looks awesome!

Offline TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 03:26:12 PM »
What oven temp are you using? Looks awesome!

Thanks. My max oven temperature is 500F. On the top rack using the broiler (which cycles on and off), I usually read slightly higher temperatures on the steel using an infrared thermometer.

Offline Chronic mole

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »
Thank you.  :)

Could you provide your mixing method, please? I'm making preparations for my fourth attempt this week.

Offline TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »
Could you provide your mixing method, please? I'm making preparations for my fourth attempt this week.

Sure. Here is the work-in-progress procedure that I have updated since making the pizza in this thread.

1.   Combine flour and malt in a large mixing bowl.
   2.   Using a strainer, sift the flour/malt mixture.
   3.   Separate the flour/malt mixture into three portions: ½ + ¼ + ¼. Set aside.
   4.   Combine water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer with a beater attachment and mix well.
   5.   Add the ½-portion of the flour/malt mixture to the stand mixer and begin mixing on medium speed until a smooth batter develops, scraping down sides as needed.
   6.   Add extra virgin olive oil and continue mixing on medium speed until combined.
   7.   Add salt and continue mixing on medium speed until combined.
   8.   Stop the mixer and exchange the beater attachment for a dough hook attachment.
   9.   Add ¼-portion of the flour/malt mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
   12.   Add remaining flour/malt mixture. Increase the mixer’s power as needed to avoid struggling.
   13.   Mix just until the dough is well-incorporated but not completely smooth, about 2-5 minutes.
   14.   Turn off the mixer, remove the dough hook, and allow the dough to rest in the mixing bowl for about 10 minutes.
   15.   Remove the dough from the mixer and place onto an un-floured surface. The dough will be sticky. Using cool damp fingers, stretch and fold the dough several times until smooth and elastic.
   16.   Form dough into a large ball and bulk ferment at room temperature until the dough expands to about 1.5 times its original size (About 4 hours).
   17.   Divide the dough into four balls approximately 320g each, and place into individual lightly-oiled containers.
   18.   Cold ferment dough balls in a refrigerator at approximately 40°F/4.4°C. Dough balls will be ready after a minimum of 48 hours, but will improve dramatically in flavor and texture with longer fermentation. Dough balls are good for at least 8 days in the fridge.