A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: tell me your favorite tomato sauce for NP style  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Willthepizzamaker

• I Love Pizza!
tell me your favorite tomato sauce for NP style
« on: May 05, 2021, 02:38:51 PM »
Obviously you guys tried more tomato sauce than me.. and I'm suffering acid reflux after trying so many tomato sauce  :-D I think it's time for me to ask rather than just keeping eating.
My dough taste very strong wheat flavor compare to traditional NP style pizza and it kills tomato sauce flavor after bake.
What was your favourite tomato sauce so far? with being reasonable price, I liked mutti pelati so far. It creates nice smooth but not watery sauce after food milling or hand crush.
Tried bianco di napoli but the amazing perfume disappear after 2min bake. Any other sauce I should try?

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: tell me your favorite tomato sauce for NP style
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 05:53:36 AM »
I like Mutti pelati!

I add 2g of salt to a 400g can and then either hand crush or hit it a few times with a stick mixer.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 07:08:25 PM »
I like Mutti pelati!

I add 2g of salt to a 400g can and then either hand crush or hit it a few times with a stick mixer.
Yea with being affordable and easy to access is one huge thing. I still haven't tried high end san marzano but I wonder if there's huge gap or worth to pay +5~8 dollars more?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 07:45:19 PM »
Yea with being affordable and easy to access is one huge thing. I still haven't tried high end san marzano but I wonder if there's huge gap or worth to pay +5~8 dollars more?
Although I have found San Marzano’s that I like more than Mutti, I paid the same price for both (under $4).  For pasta, I prefer the Mutti.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 01:29:50 AM »
What's your favourite san marzano? I liked marca la san marzano for being cheap and sweet

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 08:17:06 AM »
What's your favourite san marzano? I liked marca la san marzano for being cheap and sweet

Strianese and Kirkland (Costco)
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 03:55:39 AM »
Just tried strianese it's my num 1 now. I would even sacrifice my mozzarella quality to just use this sauce (restaurant is hard.. I wish I can just use the best ingredients)

Offline ptix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »
Has anyone added a little red wine to their sauce to enhance the flavor and if so which wine did you use ?

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »
Has anyone added a little red wine to their sauce to enhance the flavor and if so which wine did you use ?

We buy a 4 pak of small 187ml (about 6.5oz) bottles of Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon.
We add one bottle to the recipe we use.
Works well for us not to have a full size bottle opened as I don't drink wine (beer/whiskey another story  ;D) and wife only occasionally drinks it with friends.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline ptix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 01:24:27 PM »
How much sauce is that bottle being added to ?

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 01:41:18 PM »
We use the large cans of tomatoes (6.6 or 6.9 pound can).  Equivalent to about 3.6 of 28oz cans.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Peter B

• This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 02:46:11 PM »
We use the large cans of tomatoes (6.6 or 6.9 pound can).  Equivalent to about 3.6 of 28oz cans.

To clarify - you add an entire bottle of red wine to one #10 of tomatoes?  I would have thought that would be way too much, but I would be willing to try it sometime.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 02:56:44 PM »
To clarify - you add an entire bottle of red wine to one #10 of tomatoes?  I would have thought that would be way too much, but I would be willing to try it sometime.

Yes, along with about 3.5 cups of water, and spices/seasoning.
We like it.

EDIT:   I looked at the recipe and original recipe for a 28oz can called for 1/2 cup (118ml) of red wine.
The converted recipe for using a #10 can would call for 424.8ml.
So 187ml is less.  Could have used 2+ bottles, but we decided on just one.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:11:42 PM by 02ebz06 »

Offline Peter B

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 06:26:09 PM »
Yes, along with about 3.5 cups of water, and spices/seasoning.
We like it.

EDIT:   I looked at the recipe and original recipe for a 28oz can called for 1/2 cup (118ml) of red wine.
The converted recipe for using a #10 can would call for 424.8ml.
So 187ml is less.  Could have used 2+ bottles, but we decided on just one.

I am going to have to keep that in mind.  I would have guessed that amount of wine would be much too liquid to use on a pizza.  Have you been able to freeze some of that batch and use it later with good results?
Oh - and I assume you did not cook it at all before dressing the pie, right?  Just used it raw?  Someday I will get more into NP style and that seems like a super fun sauce.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 07:30:19 PM »
The best recipe for tomato sauce for NP:

The best whole peeled tomatoes you can source locally with a bit of salt run through a food mill, hit briefly with a stick blender, or crushed by hand, your choice.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 10:51:33 AM »
I am going to have to keep that in mind.  I would have guessed that amount of wine would be much too liquid to use on a pizza.  Have you been able to freeze some of that batch and use it later with good results?
Oh - and I assume you did not cook it at all before dressing the pie, right?  Just used it raw?  Someday I will get more into NP style and that seems like a super fun sauce.

We make the large batch specifically for freezing.
We put the amount for a pizza in a zip-lock sandwich bag.
Lay them all on baking sheets, flatten them so they will store easier, and put in freezer.
Maybe overkill, but we vacuum seal 4 of them in in a bag with a piece of wax paper between each one.

This is a cooked recipe.

The purist may not like using frozen sauce or the ingredients we put in it, but for us, the convenience and the taste out weight authenticity.

Offline Peter B

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
We make the large batch specifically for freezing.
We put the amount for a pizza in a zip-lock sandwich bag.
Lay them all on baking sheets, flatten them so they will store easier, and put in freezer.
Maybe overkill, but we vacuum seal 4 of them in in a bag with a piece of wax paper between each one.

This is a cooked recipe.

The purist may not like using frozen sauce or the ingredients we put in it, but for us, the convenience and the taste out weight authenticity.

Ah ok - so where does the cooking come in?  Before or after freezing?

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 02:00:51 PM »
Ah ok - so where does the cooking come in?  Before or after freezing?

Before.

Note: Not all recipes call for cooking the sauce, many just add spices to the the tomatoes and it's a done deal.
Others just use tomatoes only.

Running the sauce through a food mill is done too.
I have done it recently, but haven't decided if I prefer it one way or the other.
It does give a smoother appearance to the sauce though.

I forgot to mention that the one think about freezing sauce, it will separate when thawed.  Just need to stir it a bit.

All recipes are is a starting point, then you adjust it to what "you" like.
Unless you are a competition or a business, then you go by what the judges expect, or the customers will like.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 03:18:49 PM »

The best whole peeled tomatoes you can source locally with a bit of salt run through a food mill, hit briefly with a stick blender, or crushed by hand, your choice.
I stalked lot of your posts.

I saw you tried different method such as cooking peeled tomato in airtight jar. How's it different from not cooking, salted, and milled tomato sauce? I live in California, getting amazing quality tomatoes from farmer's market is not a problem. I might try buy 5 different tomatoes and make a tomato for myself.
Any other tips you would add? Lemon juice is necessary when tomatoes are super sweet?

I wish it's as good as strianese or gustorosso san marzano pelati..

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 03:20:13 PM »

Also I saw a post that you had an experience with very good tomato sauce from random pizzeria that had tomato paste mixed in. Did you try to do yourself at home? How was it?

wordpress