A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Homemade ice cream, sherbet, gelato, frozen dessert thread  (Read 17154 times)

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Homemade ice cream, sherbet, gelato, frozen dessert thread
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2020, 08:22:47 PM »
looking to upgrade my gelato machine, anyone have any experience with the musso lello machines?

I just succumbed to Covid Cabin Fever and purchased the 4080 to wile away my boredom. While waiting for delivery I saw a review claiming that that the Lello's churn "Trancendant" ice cream, and had a good laugh - until I tasted my very first spoonful... Yep, this is some kinda transcendent ice-cream!

Highest reconmendation for one of the prettiest appliances you'll ever buy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:24:39 PM by rascali »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2021, 08:57:06 AM »
From the ingredients panel and nutritional info below for Haagen Dazs Vanilla Bean ice cream, can anyone tell me the source of the sodium shown? I agree that most sweets benefit from a little salt but do not understand its source here.

-Tony

Online deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2021, 09:01:00 AM »
From the ingredients panel and nutritional info below for Haagen Dazs Vanilla Bean ice cream, can anyone tell me the source of the sodium shown? I agree that most sweets benefit from a little salt but do not understand its source here.

looks like there is 120 grams in one cup of milk  https://albertamilk.com/ask-dairy-farmer/why-is-there-a-large-amount-of-sodium-in-milk/
Deb

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2021, 09:03:39 AM »
Thank you, Deb!
-Tony

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2021, 07:33:23 PM »
Tony,

There are a lot of substances and ingredients that contain natural sodium. I did a search of the ingredients listed on the label you posted at https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/219/2 and all of them other than cane sugar contain some natural sodium. FYI, there is also natural sodium in flours, which might surprise some people.

I don't think that you will find any vanilla ice cream that does not contain natural sodium. The good news in your case is that a cup of the Haagen Dazs ice cream contains a total of 120 mg sodium. That is the equivalent of 120/2325 = 5.16% of a teaspoon of salt.

Peter

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2021, 12:11:35 AM »
Thanks, Peter. Interesting! I would probably add salt to it, especially if there is any chocolate involved.
-Tony

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2021, 07:12:51 PM »
After my last gelato machine died on me 10 years ago, I finally replaced it. First batch: dark chocolate gelato w/espresso coffee mixed in. Now I just need to wait a few hours as it relaxes in the freezer.
Paul

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2021, 10:41:39 AM »
After my last gelato machine died on me 10 years ago, I finally replaced it. First batch: dark chocolate gelato w/espresso coffee mixed in. Now I just need to wait a few hours as it relaxes in the freezer.
Very nice!!!

Is a Gelato making machine any different than an Ice Cream machine ?
We have an Ice Cream maker.  Don't use it very ofter though.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2021, 11:17:03 AM »
Very nice!!!

Is a Gelato making machine any different than an Ice Cream machine ?
We have an Ice Cream maker.  Don't use it very ofter though.

Thank you Bruce!

Yes it is different than a regular ice cream machine. The main spindle turns at a slower rate so that it does not add as much air, plus the paddle design adds to the overall product. This combo creates a more dense consitancy and the texture that stays silkier/softer. Gelato is served at a bit warmer temp vs regular ice cream and has less fat.

Like several others in this thread, my machine is a Lello 4080 Musso Lussino.
Paul

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2021, 01:37:02 PM »

3.5 servings per container.

Yeah, right!
John

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2021, 02:14:32 PM »

3.5 servings per container.

Yeah, right!

Probably a misprint and most likely should have been 3.5 containers per serving.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2021, 01:30:15 PM »
Rainy day here in Austin, let's make some blueberry gelato.
Paul

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »
What recipe are you using for your gelato?

I also have the Lello Musso and love it. By the way - if you want a great ice cream book, “Hello My Name Is Ice Cream” by Dana Cree is absolutely fantastic. Also, the sorbet recipe in the Superiority Burger cook book is 💯

Rainy day here in Austin, let's make some blueberry gelato.

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2021, 10:58:58 AM »
What recipe are you using for your gelato?

I also have the Lello Musso and love it. By the way - if you want a great ice cream book, “Hello My Name Is Ice Cream” by Dana Cree is absolutely fantastic. Also, the sorbet recipe in the Superiority Burger cook book is 💯

Agreed, Dana's book is excellent and one of my go to books as a resource. I also tracked down a book called "Gelato Messina" which is a legendary shop in Australia. If you can find it the book is well worth picking up.

Good to know re: sorbet recipe in the Superiority Burger - I'll check it out, I appreciate the recommendation.

Here is the recipe I used: https://foodnouveau.com/blueberry-gelato/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:15:23 AM by psedillo »
Paul