A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Like a sunny day on Montego Bay!  (Read 179 times)

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
Like a sunny day on Montego Bay!
« on: June 20, 2021, 02:33:43 AM »
Today was a themed bake. Jamaican, Mon!

1. Jamaican Sunshine pies

Meat hand pies were brought to Jamaica by the English. "Pasties". The word evolved into "patty." The hand pie evolved into a decidedly unique Jamaica food.

2. Banana Chiffon Pie

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Like a sunny day on Montego Bay!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 02:44:26 AM »
Looks damn good to me :drool:

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 07:02:32 AM »
Those look great. What was your filling made of?

Pasties are quite popular here in Michigan too.

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In some areas, pasties are a significant tourist attraction, including an annual Pasty Fest in Calumet, Michigan in mid August. Pasties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan have a particularly unusual history. Many ethnic groups adopted the pasty for use in the Copper Country copper mines; the Finnish immigrants to the region mistook it for the traditional piiraat and kuuko pastries. The pasty has become strongly associated with all cultures in this area, and in the similar Iron Range in northern Minnesota.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »

Thanks, Hans

Jamaican beef Patti has been on the back burner for me for a long time. Yesterday, I was hanging in the FB pie club, this East Indian, Caribbean transplant showcased her Patti's. She also gave the history and explained the East Indian influence on Jamaican foods. The one thing she lest out was her recipe. Long story short I figured if she wanted to share it she would have. I searched a bunch of different recipes and came up with my own unique formula. Enjoy! Btw the taste of these was great! The only change I made is about 1+ extra tsp. of Tumeric in the pastry. I really wanted that sunshine color. Some I saw were pale. Subsitutions, no scotch bonnets or pimento peppers. I forget what hat pepper I used, but I only used half and I cut out all the seeds and most of the ribs. The heat was just right. For the sweet, I used what they call Italian sweet peppers. The rest is the same.

Offline loch

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 09:22:20 AM »
 GumbaWill, everything looks great. You've got a nice touch with pastry, both sweet and savory.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 09:41:07 AM »
GumbaWill, everything looks great. You've got a nice touch with pastry, both sweet and savory.

Dave

Thanks for the compliment, Dave!
 I actually just recently went back to basics with my pastry dough. I feel if you want to learn something learn from the best! I highly recommend the book, "Pastry Michel Roux" The two changes I made to my method and formula is

1. Less water
2. Back to basics and take extra care rubbing the fat into the flour. I was fooled by all the talk of don't overwork the dough. what I learned is it is far more important to ensure you have very little to no "live flour" (flour that has not been encapsulated in fat) before you add the water. In case you're interested, this is my new improved freezer batch formula. I only ask, If I ever have a book published, buy it anyway! LOL, I kill me!  By the way, I use the pizza calculator for much more than just pizza!

Offline loch

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 10:21:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing your recipe and process Will. I appreciate you putting in the ounces for an old-timer like me.

I've never really pursued pastry in my baking but I do find it interesting. I'm going thru my main reference for pastry this morning "Advanced Bread and Pastry" by Michel Suas.

Thanks again, and I definitely will buy your book!

Dave

"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »

Pasties are quite popular here in Michigan too.

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In some areas, pasties are a significant tourist attraction, including an annual Pasty Fest in Calumet, Michigan in mid August. Pasties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan have a particularly unusual history. Many ethnic groups adopted the pasty for use in the Copper Country copper mines; the Finnish immigrants to the region mistook it for the traditional piiraat and kuuko pastries. The pasty has become strongly associated with all cultures in this area, and in the similar Iron Range in northern Minnesota.
^^^  I was going to say the same thing but not as well as you explained. Iíll add: the UP is one of the places America (USA) gets rid of its rutabagas; they tuck them in many flavors os pasties.

Nice work GW.
-Tony

Offline GumbaWill

Second Time around, better than the first time...
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 04:37:25 PM »
I know a cat named Way-Out Willie, got a cool little chick named Rockin' Millie
He can walk and stroll and Susie Q and do that crazy hand PIE too
Grandma gave baby sister a dime, said, "Do that hand PIE one more time!"

All that is needed is a Red Stripe beer and a fat splif!