A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New York Style in an Ooni Koda 16  (Read 664 times)

Offline jgeibel

• NY / Sicilian / Neapolitan / Detroit
New York Style in an Ooni Koda 16
« on: July 19, 2021, 11:16:33 AM »
Here are my results after a couple of sessions baking New York Style in an Ooni Koda 16.

I went with a pretty standard recipe: 16" pizza, 425g dough, .075 TF, high gluten flour (Caputo Americano), 60% hydration, 2.5% salt, 2% oil, .3% yeast, 24 hour CF

Heat management was what I tried to focus on since sometimes it can be tricky to bake at lower temperatures in these smaller ovens designed to bake neapolitan pizza. The unique issue with this oven compared to ones I've used before is that the deck doesn't retain a lot of heat and doesn't have an element underneath, so once you put a pizza on it just cools down until the pizza is done. I was measuring a 150-200F drop over the course of making a pizza. There's also about a 100F difference from the left to right side. Normally I'd bake NY style at around 650F-700F, but with this oven I decided to start much higher so I could target an average temp in the range I'm used to. Also, in order to get super-low heat levels I used the trick where you twist the knob towards the off position past the point where you push the knob in but stop just before it's off. Here was my full process:

a) Crank the heat to high and wait until the left side went over 800F (810-820)
b) Reduce the heat to almost off (very low flame) and launch the pizza
c) Wait for the dough to set such that I can turn it (1-2 minutes)
d) Turn the pizza, start increasing the heat levels, but not all the way to the "low" setting
e) Continue turning to avoid dark spots, bake for a total 6-10 minutes
f) As soon as I pull out the pizza crank the heat to max to get back up to 800F+ (5-10 minutes)

Overall the results were pretty solid. Pretty crispy, foldable, pizza with great browning and melt. Pictures below

Offline Projectfx

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New York Style in an Ooni Koda 16
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 07:58:27 PM »
I agree the NY is tricky on the K16, but above looks great. The trick is def to keep the heat very very very low unless you need it.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 10:37:16 AM »
I like the Ooni Koda 16.  I like NY-style pizza.  However, I don't know why people are so adamant about trying to make NY style pizza in this oven.  I mean, I can see why people would wanna try but, I think it's easier to just make NY-style pizza in a home oven.  The Koda 16 IS designed to make Neapolitan-style pizzas.

Just my thoughts.  That pizza looks good, by the way.

EDIT: The underlined portion is the main gist of this post.  I am not trying to take anything away from your attempt. :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:39:33 AM by 9slicePie »

Offline jgeibel

• NY / Sicilian / Neapolitan / Detroit
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 10:39:33 AM »
I mean, you're not wrong. I do like the char I get when I bake between 650F-750F. I can't say I've done a lot of experiments comparing a bake at 550F to 750F to hold a convincing argument though. I do like the flexibility to be able to bake either neapolitan or new york. But yes, I can make a pretty similar pie in a conventional oven.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 10:58:53 AM »
Taming the flame is part of the fun.
Who wants to turn their indoor oven on in the heat of summer? 
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T