A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Question for Fazzari or any other experts  (Read 372 times)

Offline Cnjr5544

• I Love Pizza!
Question for Fazzari or any other experts
« on: July 20, 2021, 06:02:52 PM »
I'm new to the forum but have been reading it and pizza reddit for a while and been making pies for about 1.5 years during which I've made about 50 test pies.  I was searching the forum about another topic and came across this post by Fazzari where he mentions about mid way through that he made this cracker crust pizza: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21628.msg218763#msg218763

It caught my eye because from the picture it seems like the body of the slice is crispy but the cornicione is big and puffy, and I've looked at countless cracker crust pies online and never seen a big cornicione on any of them.  I've only made a cracker crust two times (a 40% hydration and 50% hydration) and abandoned it because the cornicione didn't rise like I like it to when at 60 to 70% hydration and I assumed it wasn't possible to have both at 40% hydration.  Fazzari or anyone else have ideas on how to recreate that pie in the post?  Thanks!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
Re: Question for Fazzari or any other experts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 09:22:29 AM »
why don't u send him a fazarri a pm?

luck,
jeff

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 10:13:02 PM »
I'm new to the forum but have been reading it and pizza reddit for a while and been making pies for about 1.5 years during which I've made about 50 test pies.  I was searching the forum about another topic and came across this post by Fazzari where he mentions about mid way through that he made this cracker crust pizza: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21628.msg218763#msg218763

It caught my eye because from the picture it seems like the body of the slice is crispy but the cornicione is big and puffy, and I've looked at countless cracker crust pies online and never seen a big cornicione on any of them.  I've only made a cracker crust two times (a 40% hydration and 50% hydration) and abandoned it because the cornicione didn't rise like I like it to when at 60 to 70% hydration and I assumed it wasn't possible to have both at 40% hydration.  Fazzari or anyone else have ideas on how to recreate that pie in the post?  Thanks!

Looking back on those experiments, I had couple things I was working on....using a bromated flour, and testing skins with unbromated flour.  Having said that, please realize that the cracker crusts I made in those experiments were all sheeted on a commercial sheeter.  Using a commercial sheeter allows one to use whatever hydration rate he wishes...our restaurant uses about 35 % hydration rate. 

There seems to be a wrong assumption (in my opinion please) by cracker crusts lovers, that the perfect crust is filled with holes and shows its layers.  I've been making these for 47 years now.  I've eaten a ton of pizza that show neither the holes or the layers that some expect...and they are excellent pizzas sometimes.  The bottoms are crisp but tender and are a joy to eat. .  I was taught to sheet dough in the old "monkey see, monkey do" method (the Dough Doctor's good Phrase), and it is only through experimentation, that one really learns what is important in making a good cracker crust.  The absolute most important thing is the mix.  Right now our huge Hobart takes about 5 minutes to mix our dough to perfection......it's not a pizza ball, it is pizza dough pieces.  And then it is the least amount of sheeting to create the perfect layer.

I have worked on making this dough at home, and have great luck with the following method:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69446.0

John

Offline Cnjr5544

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »
Thanks so much for the reply John!  So I see that your specialty is cracker crust.  I'm only just hearing and learning about this type of pizza.  Since I've gotten serious about pizza, I've only been working on perfecting my crispy NY style.  I'm almost done, so I'll definitely be trying your cracker crust recipe in your link in a few weeks.  Some follow up questions please:

1) I'm not sure if I've ever had cracker crust.  Are there any restaurants in NYC that you would recommend for cracker crust?  (I am doing a road trip through Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg next week, so if you know of any restaurants there too, I will make a point to stop by). 

2) I read the entire thread of the link you posted.  Your recipe calls for mixing the dough in a standing mixer.  I don't have one, so do you have alternate instructions for a home baker who just has his hands, a spoon, and a bowl?

3) Your recipe says to "sheet" the dough.  Do I need a machine for this or can I just use a rolling pin and my countertop?

4) What is your restaurant called and which city?  I'd love to order some pizza from you if I'm ever in town!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 02:16:06 PM »
Cnjr5544,

With respect to Items 2) and 3), you might find this post of help:

Reply 126 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5762.msg53174#msg53174

Peter

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 07:49:45 AM »
1) I'm not sure if I've ever had cracker crust.  Are there any restaurants in NYC that you would recommend for cracker crust?  (I am doing a road trip through Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg next week, so if you know of any restaurants there too, I will make a point to stop by). 

Columbus
Tommy's
Stadz
Rubino's

Chicago
Pat's
Many others (the Facebook group "Chicagoland Pizzerias History" is a great source of info)
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

wordpress