A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: peter lugers steakhouse, williamsburg ny  (Read 4382 times)

Offline FeCheF

Re: peter lugers steakhouse, williamsburg ny
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2021, 11:50:17 PM »
I think commercial rubs are mostly garbage. They're also not great for high-heat searing - especially not for a 1500F broiler.  Leave "blackening" to fish... and the '80s.  When I'm cooking steak over coals, any seasonings I add other than salt get added after the initial sear, when I'm bringing it gently up to temp.

But....But....The flames, can't you see the Flames on the label? :-D

Plus, its gluten free, and made is USA. That has to count for sumptin...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 11:51:58 PM by FeCheF »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2021, 12:11:06 AM »
This stuff is my go to for direct hi heat application, very heat tolerant and very good without taking over!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2021, 01:19:03 AM »
Thanks PNW...New Seasons it is and will look for Painted Hills.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2021, 01:47:33 AM »
This stuff is my go to for direct hi heat application, very heat tolerant and very good without taking over!

Well, i dont have access to that seasoning. I guess i will have to put this $hit to the test. :chef:

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2021, 03:49:42 AM »
PM me your info and I could send you a sample of some. Otherwise it's about 40 bucks for an 8 pound box. Not including shipping. I have a local commercial distributor about 20 miles away that hooks me up. He may know of some distributor in your area.....
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2021, 11:49:06 PM »
Interesting, but not impressed at all. It must be a experience thing.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #206 on: August 03, 2021, 12:03:03 AM »
Dont get me wrong, it wasn't bad, and i tried to follow there method as close as i could, and even excell on it. But nothing beats a perfectly marinated and grilled steak. :chef: Bottom line, you would have to pay for me to go to a Peter Lugers. Now i understand why they have there own house steak sauce. :-D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:45:14 AM by FeCheF »

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2021, 08:42:36 AM »
You may just not like broiled steak. Your salt is also too course so you're not getting as much surface area seasoned.  As far as Peter Luger, you're missing the butter and scorching hot platter. 

Off topic, Kenji just posted this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR-awZNH9kg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2021, 09:55:20 AM »
You may just not like broiled steak. Your salt is also too course so you're not getting as much surface area seasoned.  As far as Peter Luger, you're missing the butter and scorching hot platter. 

Off topic, Kenji just posted this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR-awZNH9kg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

There was more salt but some disolved since the pic was taken an hour after salting. Also, there was a lot more butter but because my platter is so shallow i had to transfer it to ramekins. I will say, i wish i would have used browned butter instead of ghee. The ghee really lacked flavor compared to browned butter.

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #209 on: August 04, 2021, 10:13:01 AM »
There was more salt but some disolved since the pic was taken an hour after salting. Also, there was a lot more butter but because my platter is so shallow i had to transfer it to ramekins. I will say, i wish i would have used browned butter instead of ghee. The ghee really lacked flavor compared to browned butter.

I do love me some browned butter. I like to add 2 tbs of butter to a platter and stick it in the warming drawer (or low oven) about an hour before I start grilling. By that time the butter is perfect with those nutty browned-butter bits.

So what did you not like about the steak vs cooking over charcoal? Was it the lack of smoke? I like both, but prefer broiled - it just has a more savory/beefy flavor to me. I feel like some of the umami gets lost over charcoal and hardwood.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #210 on: August 04, 2021, 11:03:04 AM »

I do love me some browned butter. I like to add 2 tbs of butter to a platter and stick it in the warming drawer (or low oven) about an hour before I start grilling. By that time the butter is perfect with those nutty browned-butter bits.

So what did you not like about the steak vs cooking over charcoal? Was it the lack of smoke? I like both, but prefer broiled - it just has a more savory/beefy flavor to me. I feel like some of the umami gets lost over charcoal and hardwood.

It wasn't really lack of smoke because i usually use my Infrared searing grill, then transfer to a warming oven to finish. It was just missing that pronounced bold flavor you get from the high heat crosshatch charring. Plus i usually do a Montreal steak marinade which adds a lot more flavor then just salt.

Again, i would have probably had a better opinion if i had used brown butter. The ghee was just bland to me.