A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Question about garlic in uncooked sauce for DD  (Read 463 times)

Offline macnmotion

• I Love Pizza!
Question about garlic in uncooked sauce for DD
« on: September 08, 2021, 11:33:25 AM »
I made Pythonic's "Lou's" DD recipe yesterday. I have got a question about the sauce. There were a few comments in the thread about sauce. I noticed that some added garlic, some did not. I like garlic, but I didn't know how the garlic would cook/taste in an uncooked sauce on top of the pizza. I was concerned that the garlic might burn.

What's the strategy for adding garlic to a Lou's-style DD pizza? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Offline nickyr

Re: Question about garlic in uncooked sauce for DD
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 12:38:11 AM »
Iíve done garlic mixed into an uncooked sauce and also done garlic lightly sautťed in oil and then tomatoes added to make a lightly cooked sauce. Both worked. Garlic on top of the pie might burn.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 10:33:28 PM »
I made Pythonic's "Lou's" DD recipe yesterday. I have got a question about the sauce. There were a few comments in the thread about sauce. I noticed that some added garlic, some did not. I like garlic, but I didn't know how the garlic would cook/taste in an uncooked sauce on top of the pizza. I was concerned that the garlic might burn.

What's the strategy for adding garlic to a Lou's-style DD pizza? Any thoughts? Thanks.

If you put onions or garlic into tomatoes without sauteing(or at least heating it up) first? And you don't use your sauce right away? Your sauce will turn into a gelatinous mass. Just a heads up ;) (this also goes for ketchup or any other tomato based product.)

Offline nickyr

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 10:37:50 PM »
If you put onions or garlic into tomatoes without sauteing(or at least heating it up) first? And you don't use your sauce right away? Your sauce will turn into a gelatinous mass. Just a heads up ;) (this also goes for ketchup or any other tomato based product.)
Huh Iíve never experienced that, Iíd be interested in pictures though! Sounds weird :-)

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 10:46:19 PM »
Huh Iíve never experienced that, Iíd be interested in pictures though! Sounds weird :-)

It's a very well known thing. We had issues with ours here at work YEARS ago... never could figure out what the deal was. Then I saw a thread where someone asked Tom about it, and he explained that there is something in garlic and onions that react with the pectin in the tomatoes and caused this(this was quite a few years ago now, so I might be remembering the exact reason incorrectly). It will even happen with garlic/onion powders and flakes. The solution is to heat it up in the microwave or on the stove(which is what we do at work now). Maybe Peter will see this thread and work his magic and link a thread where Tom talked about this.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline nickyr

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 12:31:17 PM »
Thanks! I wonder how Iíve gotten so lucky, I always stir garlic into my sauce and sometimes leave it in the fridge for daysÖ

wordpress