A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Flour - Central Milling: Organic High Mountain VS 00 Reinforced  (Read 375 times)

Offline tstaub91

• I Love Pizza!
Hey all,

Wanted to see if anyone here has has experience with both flours and what the difference is?  Looking for a NY Style dough.  I know Tony G recommends 00 with reinforced protein (and I know he works with Central Milling), and this had no additives like Tony's home oven blend.

https://centralmilling.com/product/organic-type-00-reinforced/

https://centralmilling.com/product/high-protein-bread-flour-organic-high-mountain/

Thanks for any feedback! 

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Flour - Central Milling: Organic High Mountain VS 00 Reinforced
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »
I use them both. Both make great pizza and bread. For NY style in a 500-600F oven either works for me. I add diastatic malt to help with browning. They are similar protein content. My suggestion would be to try both. In my case I gravitate towards the High Mountain simply because it's in a 25lb bag which is easier to deal with.

They both work well with long ferments.

Offline tstaub91

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 10:52:56 PM »
I use them both. Both make great pizza and bread. For NY style in a 500-600F oven either works for me. I add diastatic malt to help with browning. They are similar protein content. My suggestion would be to try both. In my case I gravitate towards the High Mountain simply because it's in a 25lb bag which is easier to deal with.

They both work well with long ferments.

Thanks!
And the makeup of the two sound very similar. And the reason I went OHM is because of the 25 bag lol. Sound like unless there's a big difference I'll just stick where I'm at.

Offline KenS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 11:27:56 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this thread is the reason I found this forum (through Google search). I decided to email Central Milling and wanted to share a snipper of the info I got back as I can't imagine I'm the only one wondering about this:

"The protein content will be very similar (upper 13%) but the most significant difference that you will probably notice between the two flours is how much water they can absorb. The flour particles for the High Mountain are slightly larger than the T00 and because of that, will take a bit longer to fully hydrate that particle compared to the T00.

In pizza and Italian flour world, Type 00 and Type 0 describe how fine the flour has been milled, T00 being very fine."

Does this mean as long as we are not in any hurry, the 'non type 00'  will perform very similarly to the type 00?

Oh and hello! New around here.  :)

-Ken

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress