A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
It would be helpful if you said which flour you are using but i agree that you should increase the hydration somewhat above 60%.

It appears that most USA made hard wheat flours need a higher hydration to stretch properly.

Just this week i discovered after poking around this forum that my 165g dough balls stretched into 12" pies are a bit on the extreme thin crust side. Who knew. whatchagonnado.
Dough Clinic / Re: Recipe Differences (Yeast)
« Last post by Jersey Pie Boy on Today at 12:53:38 AM »
Yes, that's right. Except for last minute/emergency dough, many if not most members here go for either a long cold ferment CF, or an extended room temperature ferment RT.
TXCraig developed a very helpful time/temperature yeast chart. Bakers yeast predictive model.  The search bar at upper right should help you get to that thread

Prep Equipment / Re: Mixer Speed Option (?)
« Last post by RHawthorne on Yesterday at 11:52:32 PM »
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9665.0

He took an actual fork mixer and slowed it to be able to go at the speeds of the best Neapolitan fork mixers.   If I remember correctly it involved bypassing the start capacitor (or something like that) to allow it to use a variable frequency drive (VFD).

He went deep into many different mixers, speeds etc, and in the end he ended up preferring hand mixing.  I think that if this didn't do it, a modded KA is not going to be able to beat hand mixing either.
Thanks for the info. I figured somebody here on the forum must have already looked into this idea at some point.
Dough Clinic / Re: Recipe Differences (Yeast)
« Last post by DTaylor on Yesterday at 10:35:16 PM »
I may have solved this variable myself... but I'd still love to hear anyone else's take on it. In the original recipe, there is no 24 hour CF. They recommended you proof your dough till doubled in size, portion the dough balls, cover and refrigerate for only 30 minutes, then stretch to bake.
I'm guessing the original recipe author is making up for the lack of a decent CF by increasing the amount of yeast to get more rise. If I extend the period in the fridge, I shouldn't need nearly as much yeast - correct?
Thanks again!
Dough Ingredients / Re: Australia- King Arthur AP flour equivalent?
« Last post by Pizzan00b on Yesterday at 10:13:40 PM »

BTW, I note your favourite venue is Pizzeria Da Leo. If you mean the one in Perth WA, they don't actually have NYC style on the menu on Facebook?

Yeah thatís the one, theyíre a Napoletana style pizzeria, dank pizza also does an excellent one. My favourite style is nyc based off videos and Instagram posts Iíve been obsessed with ha, the only nyc style pizzeria here is a place called Mack daddyís, but their quality has declined since itís opening and I wouldnít call it any good now. Besides Napoletana style Iíve only really come across Roman and whatever youíd call an Aussie suburban pizza style in Perth.

Thanks for your advice on the flour! I wasnít sure if I was reading the label correctly (again, newbie with no clue) but Iíll check that one out. Cheers
Dough Clinic / Recipe Differences (Yeast)
« Last post by DTaylor on Yesterday at 10:12:04 PM »
Hello everyone -
My regular (Neapolitan-ish) direct dough recipe originally came from a Youtube video by All Things BBQ. I've always had good results from it. But I've been comparing it to the numbers the PizzApp spits out, and the yeast is a very different quantity.
My current recipe (for six 250g dough balls) is: 1kg 00 flour, 650g H2O, 10g ADY, 15g sea salt. I dissolve the ADY in water, then mix with the flour, then add the sea salt. Mix for 9 minutes at low speed, then proof in our oven for 2 hours at 86˚F (doubling in size). The dough is portioned and refrigerated for >24 hours at 36˚F.
I remove the dough 30-60 minutes before stretching and baking in our Gozney Dome. Works well.
When I replicate the method in the PizzApp, the ingredient measurements are very similar, except for the ADY. It calls for 1.13g of ADY, about 1/10th of my original recipe.
I know there are a lot of factors to consider - but which amount of ADY sounds more reasonable to you? Have I been overdoing it in the past, or would the PizzApp amount be far too little? Thanks!
Neapolitan Style / Re: Hard to stretch Neapolitan dough without tearing it
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Yesterday at 09:40:16 PM »
I'd try this:

Eliminate the starter
Increase hydration to 63%
Reduce salt to 2.8%
Neapolitan Style / Re: Hard to stretch Neapolitan dough without tearing it
« Last post by flatfeed611 on Yesterday at 09:32:08 PM »
This:

Thanks Craig, but I think that the issue doesnít lie in my stretching technique. That seems to be decent, although there is room for improvement, for sure.

The dough Iím making just isnít very easy to stretch.
Prep Equipment / Re: DIY: Simple and effective temperature control
« Last post by Yael on Yesterday at 09:03:21 PM »
You're crazy.
 ;D ;D ;D ;)
Prep Equipment / Re: Mixer Speed Option (?)
« Last post by apizza on Yesterday at 08:14:17 PM »
The device listed is really not a rheostat no matter what the link says. It is a solid state motor speed controller.  It's not very high in wattage and I would not try it on a Kitchen Aid mixer. If you want to try one get a higher wattage. Check your mixer for a watt usage spec. After that you're on your own.
I did slow a Bosch 3 speed mixer down with a 600 watt dimmer. I put the mixer on high speed first, before power, and then brought it up to speed with the dimmer.
Have to be careful because stuff can hit the fan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress