A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: RT proofing question  (Read 406 times)

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
RT proofing question
« on: January 26, 2022, 03:08:55 PM »
I have this baguette recipe that calls for three 1 hr RT rise periods (bulk rise) and another 1 hr in with them divided and put in the pans.
This time of year it is 68f in the house and it took about 1 hr 40 min for each of the first 3 and 2 hr for final rise.  That's 7 hours.   :o
And that was in the oven on proof setting which reads 83f on back wall.
Note - there was no noticeable rise after 1 hour as recipe specified which is why I extended it.

The oven has a fast rise option that measured 153f on back wall with the IR gun.
So my question is, is there any reason not to use the Fast Rise option of the oven to reduce overall time by hours ?

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: RT proofing question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 04:10:15 PM »
Sounds like it is too hot 🥵. It's going to start cooking the dough. Have you considered increasing yeast?

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 04:13:56 PM »
I have this baguette recipe that calls for three 1 hr RT rise periods (bulk rise) and another 1 hr in with them divided and put in the pans.
This time of year it is 68f in the house and it took about 1 hr 40 min for each of the first 3 and 2 hr for final rise.  That's 7 hours.   :o
And that was in the oven on proof setting which reads 83f on back wall.
Note - there was no noticeable rise after 1 hour as recipe specified which is why I extended it.

The oven has a fast rise option that measured 153f on back wall with the IR gun.
So my question is, is there any reason not to use the Fast Rise option of the oven to reduce overall time by hours ?

First world problems with them fancy ovens, Bruce. Sometimes I wish I had one.
I try to start with a warm water dough when doing high hydration many fold doughs with RT inside my warmish oven. Once the stone is sufficiently warmed up, it keeps a temp between 90 -100 with the light on. (I have a small oven). 153 sounds very high, though. Curiosity kills the kitty...but now I wanna know all about this fast rise temp.  How high is too high? I bet there is an answer already somewhere in this forum....
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 05:18:11 PM »
I do a final dough temp 75-80f.
Also thought abut more yeast, but wasn't sure how much.  Experimenting I guess.
Yeast is .18 for the starter and .51 for main dough.  Overall comes out to .47%

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 07:04:07 PM »
Is it possible that the poolish wasn't ready yet?

But yes, I guess either more yeast or a higher temperature, though 150F sounds way too warm.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 01:47:34 AM »
You want between 90-95. Anything above depresses fermentation, fast rise at 153 will kill your yeast in a hurry.

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 08:01:05 AM »
You can also put your dough in the oven and just turn the light on, the light will warm it up a bit.
Simone family eating chant:  Mangia mangia mangia, can mangia no more then mangia some more!

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 11:27:43 AM »

Is it possible that the poolish wasn't ready yet?

But yes, I guess either more yeast or a higher temperature, though 150F sounds way too warm.

It had risen quite a bit.
That was done in my B&T Proofer set at 78f for 16 hrs (recipe said 14 hrs or overnight).
The first batch was more like 20 hrs and it had peaked and dropped some.  That is why I cut back to 16 hrs which looked good in the morning.

Never really thought about it until now, but I can raise the B&T Proofer to higher temps.  Guess I had a brain fart.  ::)
Have always had it at 78f for pizza dough when it comes out of fridge, just never though to raise it.
Still, I would have to do the final rise in the oven with the trays.  The baguette trays won't fit in the proofer.
I'm guessing they wouldn't fit in one of the reptile egg incubators either.

====================================================================================================

You can also put your dough in the oven and just turn the light on, the light will warm it up a bit.

I had the light on along with the standard proof setting of the oven. Back wall was 83f.

wordpress