A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Scales for Dough Making  (Read 459 times)

Offline Matt619

• I Love Pizza!
Scales for Dough Making
« on: February 23, 2022, 11:00:21 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good digital scale for dough making.  I am looking for a scale that can handle the flour weight and also the smaller ingredients with enough detail precision.  I am not opposed to two scales one for heavier items and one for small ingredients.  What is everyone else using?  I have tried 20 and 30 lb scales but they seem to not be able to handle the flour weight along with the weight of the mixing bowl. I would love to know what others recommend.  I am not using full bags of flour so hence the need to weigh it.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Scales for Dough Making
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 11:10:58 AM »
How much dough are you making at a time?
A 20 or 30lb scale (that has a gram scale and goes to .1)  should be plenty and work fine.

My scale only goes to 13lb. It is fine for several pizzas or loaves of bread at a time.

I have a one for the small items that had one of the buttons just quit working and ordered a new one that measures up to 500g and down to .01 accuracy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09L61HDQL/?tag=pmak-20
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 11:13:36 AM »
A 20 or 30lb scale (that has a gram scale and goes to .1)  should be plenty and work fine.

My scale only goes to 13lb. It is fine for several pizzas or loaves of bread at a time.

I have a one for the small items that had one of the buttons just quit working and ordered a new one that measures up to 500g and down to .01 accuracy.

Did you ever need/use a counterweight with that scale for calibration?

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »

I have some calibration weights but don't used them often.  Once and a while on the small scale, but rarely on the larger one.
For the larger one, I write the weight of the bowls on them so when I put the bowl on the scale, the reading should match what's written on the bowl.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Matt619

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 11:29:17 AM »

Lately I have been making fairly large batches with 13 lb of flour and then the mixer bowl weights 9 lbs or so.  But would like to find a scale that can handle more weight so I can make larger batches in the future if needed. I thought about a shipping floor scale but I see so many options and different price points, so thought I would see what everyone else recommends/uses.

Offline Matt619

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 11:31:35 AM »

I have tried weighing weights as a general test, but the issue I am running into now is more when the scale is near capacity weight  it goes haywire snd jumps around.  This has occurred with the last 2 scales I purchased.  So looking for a heavier duty more weight capacity scale.

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 11:33:13 AM »
I have a 33lb digital scale from Amazon. Not available anymore but they do have many other brands. Mine is pretty reliable.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »
I'm in the market for a new scale as well. I tossed mine in the garbage a few days ago. I have had the same problem twice now. Both scales purchased at Wal-Mart but not the same scale. After like 2 years they kept saying battery low and even if I put a new battery in them it still says low and shuts off. Granted they only cost like $15 but still I kind of expect them to last longer. All I need is 10lbs that does grams.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 01:20:17 PM »
I'm in the market for a new scale as well. I tossed mine in the garbage a few days ago. I have had the same problem twice now. Both scales purchased at Wal-Mart but not the same scale. After like 2 years they kept saying battery low and even if I put a new battery in them it still says low and shuts off. Granted they only cost like $15 but still I kind of expect them to last longer. All I need is 10lbs that does grams.

I have one of these   -->   https://escali.com/alimento-digital-scale
I bought the A/C adapter so I don't have to mess with batteries.  Use it primarily for flout & water and other household needs.
Had it for several years with no problems.  Only complaint is it is light.  Will slide when you press buttons.  I changed the feet on it to fix that.
I use a small jewelers scale to measure the light stuff.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 07:01:30 PM »

The My Weigh kd 7000 or 8000 are great scales for dough. 

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 02:10:51 PM »
I just purchased a black Taylor scale from Target. I seen this unit used (2) AAA batteries instead of cell batteries which I thought would be a better build. I opened it and turned it on confused as all I could see was an L. It took me a few minutes to realize what was going on majority of the display on the right side of the decimal was gone. I could see it say ml but the grams setting must be on the lower right. Not a very good first experience. This is going back, the question is do I want a refund or try for a replacement. It was $21.99 plus tax. This definitely has me questioning the build quality.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 09:03:13 PM »
I just purchased a black Taylor scale from Target. I seen this unit used (2) AAA batteries instead of cell batteries which I thought would be a better build. I opened it and turned it on confused as all I could see was an L. It took me a few minutes to realize what was going on majority of the display on the right side of the decimal was gone. I could see it say ml but the grams setting must be on the lower right. Not a very good first experience. This is going back, the question is do I want a refund or try for a replacement. It was $21.99 plus tax. This definitely has me questioning the build quality.

Get the my my weigh 7000 or 8000.  Buy once, cry once!!!!

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 11:00:36 AM »
Get the my my weigh 7000 or 8000.  Buy once, cry once!!!!

I'll consider these. The 8000 has weight by percentage of flour so that would be really nice. If I understand correctly you just put in your flour weight and tell it what percentage you want for the rest of the ingredients and it tells you how much you need?