A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Just got a new (to me) Hobart H600. Looking for advice  (Read 605 times)

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
Just got a new (to me) Hobart H600. Looking for advice
« on: March 01, 2022, 09:27:44 PM »
I couldn't sleep the other night and at 2:30 I found myself wasting time on facebook marketplace.  The third item I saw was a Hobart H600.  Apparently, these guys owned a bakery and have been storing it in the back of the bakery for 10 years.  I asked what he wanted for it, and he said, "You can have it, I just need it out of the way."  SO, I now have a Hobart H600 in my garage.  Since it hasn't been started in years and I don't know what I'm doing, I'm looking for some advice.  What should I do before starting it?  Also, I'm an electrician but I don't know anything about these things.  The nameplate is there, but I can't read what phase it is.  There was a language barrier with the guys who gave it to me and they said, "We can't use it.  No 3 phase."  But I'm not sure that it is 3 phase.  I included pics, does anyone know if this thing is 3  phase of single?  AND what amps it would draw?  I think I see '10.' and hanging out of it is a 12-2 BX wire.  Thanks in advance!  -John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Just got a new (to me) Hobart H600. Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 10:17:41 PM »
Very cool!  Its under 20 amps, and if its 3 phase its well under 20 amps.  Around 10 sounds about right even for single phase.  Do you know if it has 3 or 4 wires coming out of it?   if 3 wires its single phase (2 hot one ground), if 4 wires coming out of it its three phase (3 hot one ground).

Offline frankenfab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 06:30:47 AM »
I found this spec sheet, but it lists a 2 HP motor. Since the cover is already loose, maybe you can find a plate on the motor that will tell you what phase it is.

https://shop.dinecompany.com/pdf/Hobart%20H600%20(UEM13460)%20Mixer%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf

And what Scott said about the cord.  But sometimes people that don't know what they are doing mess with cords and such.
Frank (the fabricator)

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 09:19:59 AM »
This is a really cool side project.

If you go to https://www.partstown.com/hobart/parts and put Hobart and H600 in the upper right corner, you can get some manuals. Looking at the table in one of them, the plate information doesn't line up exactly. The H600 with 230V,60Hz,1 phase says 9.5 amps and the plate says 10.? on it. On the plus side, the only H600 models that are 3 phase on the list either have the power lift bowl or 400 volts. The Hobart site says it has manuals but you need to create an account and log on. You could probably contact them, tell them the serial number and get some information, maybe a good place for parts too.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 09:20:50 AM »
More than once I've seen H600 improperly wired by a restaurant owner trying to save money on an electrician. It will 100% kill the motor.

Hobart makes a bowl adapter that I think will let you bring it down to 30qt. 40 for sure.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 09:21:56 PM »
Do you know if it has 3 or 4 wires coming out of it?   if 3 wires its single phase (2 hot one ground), if 4 wires coming out of it its three phase (3 hot one ground).

Right now it only has a 2-wire, white black and ground.  BUT, I'm not sure who wired it.  LOL

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 09:27:25 PM »
This is a really cool side project.

AGREED!  I went to Hobart's site and emailed them the serial number.  Maybe they can help.  I also looked up the model number along with the "Spec 6345" thing (which I'm not sure what that means) and I've found about 25 nameplate that are identical other than the serial number saying single phase.  So that's a good thing!  I'm tempted to go get a breaker tomorrow and just see what it does. 

Now if I can just get my oven done!  HAHAHA

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 09:16:01 AM »
Worst case, get it working, cleaned up, and painted, and they sell for ~$2-4K.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 03:24:43 PM »
Worst case, get it working, cleaned up, and painted, and they sell for ~$2-4K.

That's a very real possibility!  I can't decide how bad I want to keep it yet!  lol

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 04:23:45 PM »
First would be to try turning the motor by hand if possible to see if anything is seized.
Then need to get an electrician that is savvy about motors to tell you how it is wired.
If the motor works, and nothing seized, you should be good.  Just cleanup then and paint if you so choose.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Camarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 03:17:12 PM »
First would be to try turning the motor by hand if possible to see if anything is seized.
Then need to get an electrician that is savvy about motors to tell you how it is wired.
If the motor works, and nothing seized, you should be good.  Just cleanup then and paint if you so choose.

Cleaning the machine may also involved changing the oil for good measure, & checking the electrical connections, as well as other things.

Offline Camarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 09:46:42 AM »
Cleaning the machine may also involve changing the oil for good measure, & checking the electrical components & connections, as well as other things.