A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1632509 times)

NYSS and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline loch

Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #19140 on: September 15, 2021, 11:30:47 AM »
Cassano's copy:

Looks tasty!

The square cut always reminds me of my youth. I'd get a pie after school on my way to work. They had the shaker of red pepper flakes on the table and would use the exotic spice Oregano in their sauce. It was exotic for the upper Midwest in 1961 anyway.  ;D

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #19141 on: September 15, 2021, 11:11:02 PM »
I wanted a thinner pizza with some tang for dinner, so I started this one with my ordinary sauce, then some grated Romano, and topped with about 6 ounces of a 50/50 blend of LMPS and LMWM mozzarella, mildly spicy pork sausage I had browned earlier to about 80% done, pickled red onions, capers, and anchovies. I got my tang!

I started the pizza in a 500F oven preheated for an hour with a stone on the bottom rack, using a Lloyd 12 inch screen. After 3 minutes, I slid the pie off the screen so it would sit directly on the stone. After 3 more minutes, I rotated it 180, and baked another 3 minutes.

The dough balls I made are 290 grams each for three 12 inch pies with a TF around .09. I mixed, then balled and then CF. I made this one for dinner after 48 hours CF, and the other two will be for lunch tomorrow with a couple friends. Those will clock in around 63 hours CF. Standard Lehmann pizza dough recipe:

100% Flour; I used KABF and added vwg to take protein to about 14.5%
60% filtered, RT @ 78F
1.75% salt
2% sugar
2% EVOO
0.375% IDY, SAF Red
Dough temp when balled, 80.5F

The pickled red onions were homemade, using one reasonably large red onion sliced radially to desired thickness. Put the slices in container, I used a 32 ounce deli type container, with 1 tablespoon each of kosher salt and sugar. Adjust to preference. Add other flavorings, spices as desired.

Use a vinegar of preference (I used white wine vinegar) and water in equal amounts to fill the container. You can heat it up to dissolve the salt and sugar, but if you mix the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar in a vessel before starting to cut the onions, they will dissolve on their own by the time you're done. Then just pour it over the onions to cover them. Less work = more fun. Let meld for at least 2 hours in the fridge, but 12 is better. They will keep in fridge solidly for about 2 weeks in a sealed container. After that, they're still good to eat, but do tend to get softer as the weeks pass. The red color is natural from the red onions.
Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19142 on: September 16, 2021, 12:08:08 AM »
Looks mighty good PT..ever try a few allspice berries in the pickling? A little more tang  :)

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #19143 on: September 16, 2021, 12:14:13 AM »
Looks mighty good PT..ever try a few allspice berries in the pickling? A little more tang  :)

I have not, but I will now!
Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19144 on: September 16, 2021, 04:04:53 AM »
You inspired me to pickle some...its been a while :)

Offline Trinity

• Lifetime Member
  • Extra cheese please!
« Reply #19145 on: September 16, 2021, 09:00:43 AM »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Trinity

• Lifetime Member
  • Extra cheese please!
« Reply #19146 on: September 16, 2021, 09:08:10 AM »
I wanted a thinner pizza with some tang for dinner, so I started this one with my ordinary sauce, then some grated Romano, and topped with about 6 ounces of a 50/50 blend of LMPS and LMWM mozzarella, mildly spicy pork sausage I had browned earlier to about 80% done, pickled red onions, capers, and anchovies. I got my tang!

I started the pizza in a 500F oven preheated for an hour with a stone on the bottom rack, using a Lloyd 12 inch screen. After 3 minutes, I slid the pie off the screen so it would sit directly on the stone. After 3 more minutes, I rotated it 180, and baked another 3 minutes.

The dough balls I made are 290 grams each for three 12 inch pies with a TF around .09. I mixed, then balled and then CF. I made this one for dinner after 48 hours CF, and the other two will be for lunch tomorrow with a couple friends. Those will clock in around 63 hours CF. Standard Lehmann pizza dough recipe:

100% Flour; I used KABF and added vwg to take protein to about 14.5%
60% filtered, RT @ 78F
1.75% salt
2% sugar
2% EVOO
0.375% IDY, SAF Red
Dough temp when balled, 80.5F

The pickled red onions were homemade, using one reasonably large red onion sliced radially to desired thickness. Put the slices in container, I used a 32 ounce deli type container, with 1 tablespoon each of kosher salt and sugar. Adjust to preference. Add other flavorings, spices as desired.

Use a vinegar of preference (I used white wine vinegar) and water in equal amounts to fill the container. You can heat it up to dissolve the salt and sugar, but if you mix the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar in a vessel before starting to cut the onions, they will dissolve on their own by the time you're done. Then just pour it over the onions to cover them. Less work = more fun. Let meld for at least 2 hours in the fridge, but 12 is better. They will keep in fridge solidly for about 2 weeks in a sealed container. After that, they're still good to eat, but do tend to get softer as the weeks pass. The red color is natural from the red onions.

Anchovies!!! Awesome!!!
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Online vincentoc13

« Reply #19147 on: September 17, 2021, 10:41:48 PM »
Loved the crust on this pep/sausage pie! 14inch 3 day CF 24 hr poolish.  65 hyd 2 oil 1.5 ldmp 0.02 yeast 1.5 salt.  Cooked on steel @ 500 for 8 mins.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:43:51 PM by vincentoc13 »

Offline nickyr

« Reply #19148 on: September 18, 2021, 12:27:13 AM »
Grandma with garlic, Calabria chilies, and beyond meat sausage on half

Offline loch

« Reply #19149 on: September 18, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
Grandma with garlic, Calabria chilies, and beyond meat sausage on half

That is just a picture perfect pie!

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Online Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #19150 on: September 18, 2021, 09:02:17 PM »
Pizza Night

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19151 on: September 18, 2021, 10:18:26 PM »
Pizza Night
Very interesting looking pizza. Is that capicola on there? And why does it have that look post-bake? Did you throw some more cheese on top before you baked it?
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Online Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19152 on: September 18, 2021, 11:47:14 PM »
Very interesting looking pizza. Is that capicola on there? And why does it have that look post-bake? Did you throw some more cheese on top before you baked it?
Itís a 50% Biga, 65% hydration,48h CF. Then ground tomatoes, dry whole milk mozzarella shredded as a base, pesto and fresh mozzarella. The pizza in the oven is a different one, I believe 1/2 pepperoni, half cheese

Offline nickyr

« Reply #19153 on: September 19, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
That is just a picture perfect pie!

Dave
Thanks!

Offline Rosss

• Petezza is the best food
« Reply #19154 on: September 20, 2021, 04:36:19 AM »
Trying to make some new haven style pizzas;

The dough was over fermented, but still came out okay.

Would like more char next time without the cheese starting to overcook and boil, making it become holey / leak grease (was experimenting with spraying the cheese with water first) - may have to try spritzing the dome of my blackstone instead though  ??? .

Also is very thin with a TF of 0.07175. Maybe a little too thin  ???

Offline nickyr

« Reply #19155 on: September 20, 2021, 03:35:16 PM »
Trying to make some new haven style pizzas;

The dough was over fermented, but still came out okay.

Would like more char next time without the cheese starting to overcook and boil, making it become holey / leak grease (was experimenting with spraying the cheese with water first) - may have to try spritzing the dome of my blackstone instead though  ??? .

Also is very thin with a TF of 0.07175. Maybe a little too thin  ???
You could try freezing the cheese. I think serious eats does that. Iíve never needed to with my equipment though.

Offline Sportsphysio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19156 on: September 20, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »
Finally got around to setting up my Ooni Koda 16!  I'm pretty handy in the kitchen cooking Italian and Cajun food, but I have to admit, making pizzas intimidated me!  These were my very first attempts, and have to admit, I'm pretty proud of how they came out  ;D .  I was most impressed that they didn't turn into calzones during the launch, and I was able to retrieve/rotate them using my wooden peel (I forgot to order a metal peel!).  My only complaint was the bottom didn't cook enough, didn't have that "crispiness" that everyone talks about.

Offline earlobe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19157 on: September 20, 2021, 10:03:38 PM »
Yesterday's pie. Italian sausage, red pepper, garlic, basil, red onion. I love this combo. The dough needed another hour+ but I didn't have the time.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #19158 on: September 20, 2021, 10:29:30 PM »
Finally got around to setting up my Ooni Koda 16!  I'm pretty handy in the kitchen cooking Italian and Cajun food, but I have to admit, making pizzas intimidated me!  These were my very first attempts, and have to admit, I'm pretty proud of how they came out  ;D .  I was most impressed that they didn't turn into calzones during the launch, and I was able to retrieve/rotate them using my wooden peel (I forgot to order a metal peel!).  My only complaint was the bottom didn't cook enough, didn't have that "crispiness" that everyone talks about.
Thatís a heck of a first attempt!

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19159 on: September 20, 2021, 10:30:54 PM »
  My only complaint was the bottom didn't cook enough, didn't have that "crispiness" that everyone talks about.
Those are some pretty good looking pizzas for someone who's new to the art, I'd say. And the crispiness is a lifelong pursuit for a lot of pizza fanatics, believe me. Most people need quite a bit of time before they hit their mark, even with expensive equipment and ingredients. Just keep at it and you'll get there.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!