A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ghee........  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Ghee........
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »
Time for a new batch. Been out for awhile as my middle daughter reminds me, and she can't stand that rancid tasting store bought crap either!!! I make it slowwwwww and caramely over a few hours, NEVER RUSH GHEE........ :drool:
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline CaptBob

Re: Ghee........
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:50:03 PM »
Time for a new batch. Been out for awhile as my middle daughter reminds me, and she can't stand that rancid tasting store bought crap either!!! I make it slowwwwww and caramely over a few hours, NEVER RUSH GHEE........ :drool:

Jon......could you expand a bit on your process??

Bob

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »
About to take my #1 granddaughter to the dentist, I will later!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 11:46:06 PM »
I'd be curious, too, as I usually just do a quick unfiltered brown butter and have not heard if it being done over the course of several hours.

Offline sub

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 05:08:14 AM »
have not heard if it being done over the course of several hours.

Me either, it takes me 45 minutes to get the proteins in the butter turn golden brown and smell nutty.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 11:25:10 PM »
Okay, finally getting around to jotting it down. This took about 4.5 hours, WHY YOU SAY???? Mostly because I've burnt a couple batches and it REALLY pisses me off!! So I started this very low and slow method that is VERY forgiving. I do a couple other things that are different from the norm too. One is that I use salted butter. I think it gives a better flavor to the end product due to the long time all those particulates stay in there it makes a toastier taste. I don't skim at all, I let it foam and break back down into the melted ghee, again lending a deeper finish at the end. Long and slow, there is at no point any temp spikes that can give that off burnt taste and I can take it to a deeper, dark roasted color with NO bitter notes. All the foam, salts, solids break down into what looks like coffee grounds (that are VERY tasty!!) and is double strained at the end through a couple changes of paper towels. Coffee filters clog too fast. At the end I am left with a very dark ghee with caramel, toasty, toffee notes that you can literally eat with a spoon. I use a heavy bottom tri ply stainless pan with a heat diffuser and a low flame, using a slotted spatula to scrape and stir the bottom. This takes a little more patience but well worth the effort. Give me a few and I'll get the pics uploaded. I also add some brandy or bourbon during the  cook to add more of those caramel, toffee notes. CAREFUL, add slow as this can bubble up fast! This batch was 4 pounds that was just over 6 cup when done.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:47:29 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 11:49:18 PM »
The rest.....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:52:15 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:21:27 AM »
Thanks Jon!
Bob

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 02:38:03 AM »
For the record, I have made ghee, many, many times, using several techniques and times. Done perfectly, using shorter OR longer methods, as in many things, the slower method reaps the greatest end result!! Think about homemade bread using a 2 hour rise and bake vs a day or two, flavor profile, appearance and texture, albeit subtle to most, NIGHT AND DAY to aficionado's"
Jon

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 07:29:33 AM »
All the foam, salts, solids break down into what looks like coffee grounds (that are VERY tasty!!) and is double strained at the end through a couple changes of paper towels. Coffee filters clog too fast.

Jon, thanks for this interesting thread.  Regarding filters, I've found that a packet of medical 4 x 4 sterile gauze (non-woven sponges) works very well compared to either coffee filters or paper towels. These are very convenient to use (good flow-through) and I like the fact they are sterile, reducing the risk of contamination.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
Does it pick up any smoky flavor from the cigar?  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 12:12:20 PM »
Does it pick up any smoky flavor from the cigar?  ;D

I knew you or somebody would pick that up.  I had the exhaust hood on so I fired one up!!!😎
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »
Another 4 pound batch of ghee! :drool:
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 10:32:59 PM »
Made some more caramel ghee last nite, been out for a few months! Gave some to my youngest daughter (who is also a dental asst like her older sister) to give to her boss who is a dentist from Saudi Arabia. She loved it saying that they usual don't take it as dark as mine but really liked the caramel notes in it!
Ps......the stick indicates the volume loss after moisture is simmered out and solids strain out!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:36:30 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 01:16:42 AM »
Another batch of nice caramely ghee! Started with 4 pounds, after a slow 4 hour simmer and strained, 3.1 pounds of goodhess left!!! :drool:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:32:47 AM by Jackitup »
Jon

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »
Jon,

This morning, I saw an article on ghee, and knowing your fondness for it, I thought that you might like to see the article:

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/13261-slideshow-ghee-is-gold-in-the-butter-is-back-trend

Peter

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 10:52:25 PM »
It's been almost a year since I "got my ghee on" so going for a 7 pound batch. Should yield about 5.5 pounds or so. Some to be given away, a few people have been hounding me to make some more as they cannot find anything close to mine! Should make more but this will do for now. For Christmas I might go for a 20 pound batch, love this stuff!!! :drool:
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 03:42:31 PM »
Ended up with 5.1 pounds of wonderful caramel/toffee!!! ghee!!!
Jon

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 06:14:13 PM »
Ended up with 5.1 pounds of wonderful caramel/toffee!!! ghee!!!
That color is amazing!
-Tony

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 06:24:23 PM »
Deb