A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 104 year old original coal oven @ Delucia's Brick Oven Pizza, in Raritan, NJ  (Read 728 times)

Offline Pizza_reviews_on_the_go

• I Love Pizza!
Here's my video review-

Offline Gene in Acadiana

Wow, this really makes you want to go to New Jersey! Thanks for posting this.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Welcome aboard and thanks for posting! I've enjoyed some of your videos previously. In this one, that pinched rim technique stood out to me too. And that sauce amount, beautifully saucy!

Edit: and she poured the sauce directly out of a small pot. Are they cooking sauce in small batches? Or is it uncooked, despite the pot?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 07:11:43 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Online Pizza_Not_War

Love watching videos of cooks touching hair and face while cooking my food. Probably why I prefer eating my own cooking.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
im sure this pizza is amazing and I would love it... but im also surprised at how the dough is handled.  I spend a large amount of my time training people NOT to mess with the dough... handle as delicately as possible try to smash and crush it as little as possible.   The crimp around the edge is definitely the opposite of what I do, but I am looking forward to trying this place.

Thanks for posting, it was not on my radar.

• I Love Pizza!
I guess it depends on the dough. This seemed like a high gluten dough, and so you don't have to be gentle with it.

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Thanks for posting!  Great looking pizza and review!  :chef:
Jeff

• I Love Pizza!
Welcome aboard and thanks for posting! I've enjoyed some of your videos previously. In this one, that pinched rim technique stood out to me too. And that sauce amount, beautifully saucy!

Edit: and she poured the sauce directly out of a small pot. Are they cooking sauce in small batches? Or is it uncooked, despite the pot?

Could be raw tomato, that is very common. It just cooks in the oven...the result is usually a much more savory sauce, less sweet, and it's usually done this way in Naples I believe. I prefer a nice garlic spiked, herbaceous sauce but some places are so busy that they save time by using raw sauce. Not sure if that's what they are doing here but it's possible. Thanks for saying BTW, glad you enjoy the content.

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Hey, Antonio! I'm so glad you finally made your presence known here. I think you'll really like interacting with other pizza fanatics here, and I hope this will help get you some more viewers. This is 'DD' from YouTube, if you hadn't already figured that out. I hope to see you here regularly. And keep up the good work!
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

• I Love Pizza!
What's up DD, thanks for recommending this place. I hope to learn more about dough making as well, as I plan on making pizza live on the air some day. As of now, I think I have it down, but I never made more than a quick riser in the past.

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
What's up DD, thanks for recommending this place. I hope to learn more about dough making as well, as I plan on making pizza live on the air some day. As of now, I think I have it down, but I never made more than a quick riser in the past.
This is the best place you’ll find anywhere to ask whatever questions you want about any aspect of pizza making. The name’s Randy, btw.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Gene in Acadiana

I guess it depends on the dough. This seemed like a high gluten dough, and so you don't have to be gentle with it.

Did you happen to notice (or ask) what particular flour they use?

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
Did you happen to notice (or ask) what particular flour they use?

My guess would be AT 
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

Offline jsobolew

The dough handling, oven, baking temps and finished product are all very reminiscent of New Haven style. The edge crimping I have not seen before but it appears to be for the purpose of holding in the large amount of very liquidy sauce. Looking at that finished pizza, I would swear it came from NH but it does look a bit more heavily topped from the NH pizzas I've had. He mentioned that he refuses to use All Trumps, which I can only guess is because he takes issue with the bromate?