A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My trip to Naples and back  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
Re: My trip to Naples and back
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2021, 06:03:11 AM »
pizzas looking very nice
Thank you! I've been practicing a lot, frankly it's a miracle i haven't become any fatter!
i wonder if the preheat wastes some energy as the top gets to 500c very fast and the bottom takes longer to heat the stone

ive started putting the top to 400 or so and the bottom to 450 and then crank the top to maximum when im ready - just feels like a lot of electricity to have the chamber at 500c while the stone is still slowly heating?
I don't think the heat gets wasted, because the thermostat shuts it off when the right temperature is reached.

I've tried many different settings,  but i feel i get the most out of the oven with both top and bottom set to the max. Heat it up for three quarters to an hour. Then bake the pizza for thirty (sometimes forty) seconds, take it out and turn and another thirty seconds.

This works best for me when i am sparse with the ingredients.

Please show a picture of your pies.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2021, 06:08:17 AM »
i am trying to stick with this technique but i find the margin for error in the effeuno is quite small - yesterday i nearly pulled one pizza back out of the oven with this approach - had a nice dough lip slightly hanging over the edge of the stone that i managed to nudge back into the oven

i think i need to over compensate by reaching right to the back of the oven, lightly touch the back wall, before doing the pull back, so if the pizza comes forwards r a few CM it will still land in the oven (as its deeper than it is wide there is some clearance front to back even if the pizza nearly touches both sides of the oven!).
Launching the pizza in the little oven is very tricky indeed and has frustrated me very often to the point where i'd love to smack it with the iron peel (realizing the expense i can keep myself from doing so). I've noticed that cutting back on the ingredients and keeping them as dry as you can helps slide the pizza off the peel.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2021, 10:19:35 PM »
Launching the pizza in the little oven is very tricky indeed and has frustrated me very often to the point where i'd love to smack it with the iron peel (realizing the expense i can keep myself from doing so). I've noticed that cutting back on the ingredients and keeping them as dry as you can helps slide the pizza off the peel.

Consider a Palamajella or Palabarella. Both are designed for easy peel work specifically for P134H or HA
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2021, 04:52:46 AM »
Consider a Palamajella or Palabarella. Both are designed for easy peel work specifically for P134H or HA
Looks like a lifesaver! Thanks!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2021, 05:14:34 AM »
This guy has one and is very happy with it! No more sticking to the peel and 13 inch pizza's are no problem at all! Gotta get me one of those Pala Barella's!

Anybody knows where to get them for the best price?

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2021, 07:59:09 AM »
What is your launch method? Jiggle or a quick pull? I started with the jiggle, but after some accidents started with the quick pull and found it works a lot better. I use a little flour as an extra insurance since the consequences of a disaster in there are high. The consequences are less of a problem in a WFO, but when I use the P134H indoors I really donít want an upside down pie or one that tear in the middle.

Not using too much ingredients or sauce, not going too thin on the skin and being fast on the prepping also matters.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2021, 10:12:28 AM »
Anybody knows where to get them for the best price?

Not sure, but I've seen something called a super peel on amazon, and similar ones on ebay.  Don't know how well constructed those two are.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLS8LLE/?tag=pmak-20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255181324101?hash=item3b69fdff45:g:9AwAAOSw2jdgfpTp
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2021, 02:59:27 PM »
What is your launch method? Jiggle or a quick pull? I started with the jiggle, but after some accidents started with the quick pull and found it works a lot better. I use a little flour as an extra insurance since the consequences of a disaster in there are high. The consequences are less of a problem in a WFO, but when I use the P134H indoors I really donít want an upside down pie or one that tear in the middle.
I am aiming at the quick pull but i jiggle a little too to get the pizza of the peel.
Not using too much ingredients or sauce, not going too thin on the skin and being fast on the prepping also matters.
Since i really like thin bottoms, it gets more tricky, but when i am sparse with the sauce it is doable i noticed. Tonight i made two pizza Margaretha's and they both came of perfect of the peel! 

Thanks for the useful tips!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2021, 03:04:59 PM »
Not sure, but I've seen something called a super peel on amazon, and similar ones on ebay.  Don't know how well constructed those two are.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLS8LLE/?tag=pmak-20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255181324101?hash=item3b69fdff45:g:9AwAAOSw2jdgfpTp
Thank you for the links.

I guess they are all equally priced and in my opinion a little expensive. Plus you've got the change the cloth from time to time too.

For now i'll stick to the peel that came with the Effeuno. And i am getting better since i use only two tablespoons of tomato sauce and weigh the fiore di latte. Luckily i like pizza's with few ingredients on them, so i should be able to pull it off if i keep practicing!!  :o

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2021, 12:05:54 PM »

i find with the jiggle i can end up 'nudging' the pizza too far into the oven at it ends a squashed oval shape, so im siding with you that the quick pull is better. i do a small jiggle on the peel, just to ensure its not sticking, right before launch. i dont know if it was the dough, peel (perforated gimetal) or the extra space in the oven but it was so much easier in a WFO in italy. Likely all of the above to be honest. I think you're right that a bit of extra semolina is extra insurance isnt a bad thing.

Thank you for the links.

I guess they are all equally priced and in my opinion a little expensive. Plus you've got the change the cloth from time to time too.

For now i'll stick to the peel that came with the Effeuno. And i am getting better since i use only two tablespoons of tomato sauce and weigh the fiore di latte. Luckily i like pizza's with few ingredients on them, so i should be able to pull it off if i keep practicing!!  :o

Yeah, I think I'd be too nervous with any cloth peel that it may eventually burn. And it must need washed etc.

Also, you got a peel with the oven?! I had to buy a cheapish gimetal one myself - Gi Metal Azzurra Aluminum round pizza peel 33cm with short handle for 55 GBP from here: https://mobi-pizza-ovens.co.uk/product/gi-metal-azzurra-aluminum-round-pizza-peel-33cm-with-short-handle/

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2021, 09:40:46 AM »
Thank you! I've been practicing a lot, frankly it's a miracle i haven't become any fatter! I don't think the heat gets wasted, because the thermostat shuts it off when the right temperature is reached.

I've tried many different settings,  but i feel i get the most out of the oven with both top and bottom set to the max. Heat it up for three quarters to an hour. Then bake the pizza for thirty (sometimes forty) seconds, take it out and turn and another thirty seconds.

This works best for me when i am sparse with the ingredients.

Please show a picture of your pies.
Interesting. I mean the air temp of top gets to 500c very quickly and uses energy to maintain that, while the bottom is heating a thick stone which slowly climbs 100,200,300,350 etc. I'm not sure why we use that energy to maintain the 500c at the top for an extra 20mins while the bottom heats? I might try starting with the bottom only until it reaches 300 and then turn the top on.

I'm about the same with the turn, around 40s

re: my pies, latest post in my thread is here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66852.msg686748#msg686748  :chef:

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2021, 01:18:53 PM »
FWIW, the p134h will take forever to get up to temp using only the lower element, it's the upper that makes most of the work.

I look at the thermostats as the upper regulating the air and stone surface temperature, and the lower mainly regulates how much thermal energy is stored in the stone.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2021, 06:52:57 AM »
Yeah, I think I'd be too nervous with any cloth peel that it may eventually burn. And it must need washed etc.
Indeed, too much of a hassle.
Also, you got a peel with the oven?! I had to buy a cheapish gimetal one myself - Gi Metal Azzurra Aluminum round pizza peel 33cm with short handle for 55 GBP from here: https://mobi-pizza-ovens.co.uk/product/gi-metal-azzurra-aluminum-round-pizza-peel-33cm-with-short-handle/
Yes i got a peel with the oven, a cheapish metal one too but it works.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2021, 06:58:53 AM »
FWIW, the p134h will take forever to get up to temp using only the lower element, it's the upper that makes most of the work.

I look at the thermostats as the upper regulating the air and stone surface temperature, and the lower mainly regulates how much thermal energy is stored in the stone.
Good point.

I've been experimenting a lot with the top and bottom set to 500 degrees and in contrary to my previous statements, i find it a little too hot for the bottom. Next time i'll try with the top set to 500 and the bottom to 400 degrees.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2021, 09:02:40 AM »
The temperature drops about 100C from the top to the bottom of the biscotto.  So if you set the upper to 500C then you'll have about 400C under the biscotto.  I don't think I could do 500C/500C without the bottoms being overdone..
Jack

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2021, 01:25:14 PM »
Tried it tonight with the top set to 500 and the bottom to 400 degrees. Even though the pizza looks okay to me, it didn't taste as good as the ones i baked with the F1 set to the max. The extra heat from beneath seems to add to the taste. Perhaps turning after 25 seconds instead of 30 decreases the risk of burning the bottom.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2021, 05:55:29 PM »
I char the bottom a bit more than desired and my lower element is turned down to 300, pretty much off once the oven is warm. I lower the upper element with 75 or 100C and raise it before launching. I wonder if this is making it too hot, or that I wait too long before launching. There are three inportant factors imo. The ambient temperature, the stone temperature and the radiant heat from the upper element. Since the upper element plays a big role, the timing relative to when the upper element is engaged is important.

One can probably achieve good results with different methods as long as the method is balanced  between the relationship of ambient temperature, stone temperature and upper element time.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2021, 01:09:13 PM »
I wish i could taste a pie of my fellow F1 users and that you could try mine. I just finished two pizza's baked with the F1 set to the max. I preheated the oven for 45 minutes and the stone measured 510 degrees when the first pizza went in. Both pizza's were baked in sixty seconds with one turn after thirty seconds. They were very tasty, much better then the two i baked yesterday with the bottom set a little lower. On the Italian F1 forum some have stated that the heat should come from beneath and i can echo that after several tries. 

@Heikjo, i noticed the bottom gets charred quicker when my pizza is just a fraction too soggy. A tablespoon less sauce makes the difference. Also i think detaching the bottom from the stone by a turn after thirty seconds buys you some time. Though i seen Italians on the F1 Facebookgroup that don't turn with the F1 set to max and take the pizza out after sixty seconds. That inspired me to try working with this heat too.

@Typicalsam, putting the peel in the back of the oven has made it much easier for me to do a good pull back, thanks for the tip!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2021, 01:41:56 PM »
A tad bit less heat this time. top set to 470 and bottom to 430 degrees. Baking time 80 seconds with one turn.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2021, 05:31:22 AM »
How does the bottom look at those temperatures?
Jack