A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Need help with making frozen pizza  (Read 217 times)

Offline Mikefln

• I Love Pizza!
Need help with making frozen pizza
« on: October 27, 2021, 10:45:42 AM »
First I want to say thank you for all the help over the years.  Even though this is my 1st post I have read these boards and learned a lot for a couple of years.  2nd I do want to say that I did do a search ,and I came up short on the answers I was looking for.

I am an armature pizza maker,  that just cooks for family.  I do not have a single style I make, as the mood I am in can be anything from thin crust, deep dish, Detroit style, if I ever get a dedicated pizza oven I would love to do NY Style, but as you can see I am not making just 1 style.  Like I mentioned I learned a lot from this forum and hoping you can assist with this.

In order  to save time (kids in sports and other activities), my wife and I are going to try to make as many dishes as we can and freeze them so all we need to do is  defrost and warm it or at most defrost then garnish it and then warm.  Well pizza is one of my favorite foods so naturally I want the  ability to do the same with pizza as we are going to do with the other food.  I was going to limit the style to a deep dish and a traditional American style pies, as I cannot do all varieties.  So my questions are:

1)  Is there a special ingredient /recipe I should follow ?

2) Should I just freeze doughballs or should I par bake?

3) If I par bake should I sauce and fully top or just  freeze the skin?  I already have sauce made that I jar ever year in September so not worried about  needing to take time to do that part since it would be minimal time  to sauce/cheese /top?

4) is there a special freezing technique that would help  that  can be duplicated in a kitchen? ( during my search I saw the Dough Dr  explain a commercial set up and that is beyond my capabilities at home.

5) Is there anything else I should know/be aware of?

Thank you very much in your assistance.

Mike

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Need help with making frozen pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 11:19:17 AM »
I make NY style and freeze the dough balls.
There is no difference in the recipe I use, just the procedure.
My procedure is this:
Instead of shooting for a dough ball that is 75-80f, I shoot for 65-70f.
That involves putting the mixer bowl and hook in the freezer for 15 min. or more.
Measure all the ingredient into separate bowls and put in refrigerator.
I leave it for an hour, but you could just as easily check to see when the water temp gets down to the fridge temp.
After mixing, then form the ball quickly, light put a coat of oil on it, into a bread bag, flatten into a hockey puck, wrap, and put in freezer.

Some have par-baked skins for thin-crust pizza and frozen them.
I have not.  Just my opinion, but I would thing you would be better off freezing the skin by itself. for one thing, you could stand it on edge if needed.
I vacuum seal/freeze all my toppings in amounts that I would put on the pizza.
You could do the same.  Take a par-baked skin and the toppings you want out of the freezer the day before you want to make it.

I've read somewhere that you shouldn't freeze them for more that 2-3 weeks.
Not sure why that it, but I make 3 dough balls and make pizza every other Saturday, so the last one is in freezer for 6 weeks.
I have seen no adverse effects from that.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:22:46 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 06:03:36 PM »
I make NY style and freeze the dough balls.
There is no difference in the recipe I use, just the procedure.
My procedure is this:
Instead of shooting for a dough ball that is 75-80f, I shoot for 65-70f.
That involves putting the mixer bowl and hook in the freezer for 15 min. or more.
Measure all the ingredient into separate bowls and put in refrigerator.
I leave it for an hour, but you could just as easily check to see when the water temp gets down to the fridge temp.
After mixing, then form the ball quickly, light put a coat of oil on it, into a bread bag, flatten into a hockey puck, wrap, and put in freezer.

Some have par-baked skins for thin-crust pizza and frozen them.
I have not.  Just my opinion, but I would thing you would be better off freezing the skin by itself. for one thing, you could stand it on edge if needed.
I vacuum seal/freeze all my toppings in amounts that I would put on the pizza.
You could do the same.  Take a par-baked skin and the toppings you want out of the freezer the day before you want to make it.

I've read somewhere that you shouldn't freeze them for more that 2-3 weeks.
Not sure why that it, but I make 3 dough balls and make pizza every other Saturday, so the last one is in freezer for 6 weeks.
I have seen no adverse effects from that.

I've been wondering recently what a good way is to freeze dough balls, I've never tried but I'm going to try your process. Just one question. What is the purpose of flattening the dough ball as opposed to just leaving it round?
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 06:20:55 PM »
I've been wondering recently what a good way is to freeze dough balls, I've never tried but I'm going to try your process. Just one question. What is the purpose of flattening the dough ball as opposed to just leaving it round?

Not 100% sure, got the info about freezing from The Dough Doctor (rip), and never asked.
I guess one benefit, after frozen you can stack them.  ;D
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 06:25:25 PM »
kori,

These posts by the late Tom Lehmann should help you:

Reply 1 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39770.msg397187;topicseen#msg397187

Reply 1 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48998.msg492443;topicseen#msg492443

Reply 2 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=65357.msg640002;topicseen#msg640002

Peter

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 07:35:59 PM »
Hi, another idea:

I prefer to freeze a parbaked crust, because when freezing dough balls you still have to wait for the whole fermentation, that would be CF (24-48H) + proofing at RTF... A little bit complicated when you're in front of your stove, don't know what to make and suddenly think "pizza!".

Here's how I proceed: depending on the oven used, I add sauce, then parbake until just before the rim starts to color. Just as simple as that. If I don't want to add sauce (or I don't have anymore), I just parbake the crust alone.
Member HansB shared his frozen pizza once, they looked veeeery nice  ;D (if he sees this board maybe he'll be able to show you the link of the thread). He was adding the toppings before freezing, like "real" frozen pizza!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 07:45:07 PM »
I do remember Tom mentioning that yeast will die in the freezer... so he recommended not freezing for long periods of time.

wordpress