A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Egg recipes  (Read 1245 times)

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
Re: Egg recipes
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2021, 06:06:26 AM »
I have often wondered whether Budweiser is to Americans what Foster's is to Aussies.  :-D
Mick

Online FeCheF

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2021, 09:35:57 AM »
I have often wondered whether Budweiser is to Americans what Foster's is to Aussies.  :-D

Yes, I hate Bud.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2021, 11:58:28 AM »
In the 90s, I had a roommate whose mother managed one of those big warehouse liquor stores located outside Boston. The store had a large, open space in back for bottle and can returns. There were more Bud and Bud light cans recycled than all the other bottles and cans combined.

Someone was drinking a lot of it.

Offline caymus

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2021, 06:28:55 PM »

Its a bit like Foster's. We've all heard of it, we know its famous overseas, but none of us actually drink it.

We were told that Foster's is Australian for beer.  I did drink a bunch of it in the late 80's.  I did like those big cans

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fosters+is+australian+for+beer+ad&docid=608009941546071745&mid=EC80BBB14175FF15CF1CEC80BBB14175FF15CF1C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2021, 07:20:05 PM »

It's better than Bud if that means anything.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 07:24:35 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2021, 08:17:16 AM »

Its a bit like Foster's. We've all heard of it, we know its famous overseas, but none of us actually drink it.

Curious about what your beer or ale preference is.

Here's a way to kill two birds with one gulp.
https://winning-homebrew.com/egg-in-beer-an-interesting-combo-with-surprising-benefits.html
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2021, 09:44:55 AM »

https://winning-homebrew.com/egg-in-beer-an-interesting-combo-with-surprising-benefits.html
{shudder} Reminds me of the 6 months I spent living in a dorm with 22 Mexicans. It was on the grounds of a big club with 54 holes outside of Chicago. 21 of them were great guys; hard workers and good to hang out with. Guy 22 though…he was a doper and a loner whose work output was poor and slow. Work started at 6 am. Every morning we had to witness Guy 22 start his day by breaking 2 eggs into a warm RC Cola, and downing it minutes before work began.
-Tony

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2021, 01:43:46 AM »

Egg in beer? I dunno. :-\

My preferences in beer tend toward a couple of South Aussie treasures:
Coopers Ale.
Family owned still, I think.
One of very few full scale commercial breweries still in Australian hands.
There are, of course, plenty of smaller locally owned "craft" brewers springing up everywhere.
But trust me, if its "craft" it's generally spelled "crap". Warning signs: if there is a spiel on the label about handmade, that mentions "floral notes" or "fruity finish" or "peach undertones" any other BS that should never be associated with a drink made from barley, it is craft beer, and is only suitable for hipsters with carefully tended beards, man-scaped nether regions and man bun hair.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:50:57 AM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2021, 01:54:04 AM »
Having somewhat of a troubled relationship with alcohol, my "I'm trying to behave myself" alternative to sodas is this:
The only "almost zero" alcohol beer that tastes like beer.
Heineken and Carlton market zero alcohol beers that make craft beers seem good by comparison.
First job when I'm prime minister will be to ban them.
Mick

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2021, 01:58:56 AM »
Then, of course, there is Southwark Bitter.
I believe the brewery that makes this stuff is now in international hands, but they are still making the fabled "Green Death"
Only blokes raised in South Australia and Broken Hill in far western New South Wales can consume this without dying.
You have been warned. :-D
Mick

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2021, 02:06:44 AM »
Having somewhat of a troubled relationship with alcohol, my "I'm trying to behave myself" alternative to sodas is this:
The only "almost zero" alcohol beer that tastes like beer.
Heineken and Carlton market zero alcohol beers that make craft beers seem good by comparison.
First job when I'm prime minister will be to ban them.
In the last two years the USA has had a mass infusion of NA beers that taste just like beer. I enjoy them daily!

The first beer I ever brewed was from a Coopers Ale kit. It being my first I was amazed at how good it was, which was an illusion in retrospect.

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2021, 04:02:10 AM »
The first beer I ever brewed was from a Coopers Ale kit. It being my first I was amazed at how good it was, which was an illusion in retrospect.
Me too. Way back in the early 80's, the local Kmart used to sell a Coopers kit that consisted of a big cardboard box with a large polythene bladder in it that contained some concentrated wort. You added the included sugar, the included yeast and made it to volume with warm water right there in the bladder, in the carton.
About 10 days later you bottled it with a teaspoon of sugar.
So simple.

I agree how good it seemed might have been an illusion in retrospect.
That's because in comparison to the commercial offerings of the time it was good.
Of course, 45 years later I am now rocking a more educated palate.
Now, when I brew, I look for malt rather than sugar, etc.

Over here the only zero alcohol beer that actually tastes like beer to me is the Coopers.
The only other ones commonly available in my local area are the Heineken 0.0 and the Carlton Zero. In my opinion they are absolutely atrocious.
I fail to see how a brewer, who is presumably a professional, can actually put those things on the market and claim they are good.
The people who brew them cannot possibly proud be of them.  Must be driven by the marketing departments.
Mick

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2021, 01:43:38 PM »
You guys are funny.
fruit or egg in beer is gross.
I know, since I have tried many things in beer.
I wonder if beer poached eggs would be good?

Back to the topic at hand, I was on an egg a day eating spree for about 6 weeks, which is odd for me, but I couldn't stop. From egg on toast to egg burritos, it devolved to buttery french toast, and I mean plenty of it. I started to crave flan custard, but haven't made any. I have used eggs in savory and sweet cheesecakes. I went and made French toast in the middle of trying to write this. gotta eat.

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2021, 01:18:21 AM »
Beer poached eggs. Craving Flan Custard. You aren't by any chance pre.........?  ;D

Going to try making Scotch Eggs tonight.
So while I was boiling eggs for that, slipped in an extra dozen for the smoker.
Sure is difficult shelling extra fresh eggs.

So I (soft I hope) boiled 'em, peeled 'em, smoked 'em, rolled em in 1 tsp ground paprika, 1/2 tsp each of salt, ground white pepper, garlic salt.
2.5 teaspoons of seasonings turns out to be a lot for a dozen eggs.
I know from experience that anything that comes out of my little hot smoker is far better next day, so in the fridge they go.
Hope they taste better than they look. :(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 05:29:24 AM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2021, 05:27:27 AM »
Scotch eggs for tea.
They came out OK.
Opportunities for improvement:
1) Don't have a senior's moment and lose track of when to turn the eggs off. Aiming for soft boiled was a glorious failure.
2) Use older eggs, fresh eggs are a pain to peel.
3) We only had beef sausage meat - traditional is pork. The missus has been instructed to keep her eye open for some English style pork bangers.
4) The Jamie Oliver recipe calls for a table spoon of hot English mustard mixed in the sausage meat. We chickened out and used some mild seeded mustard. Could hardly taste it. Hot English next time.

We'll do this dish again.
Edit: Scotch eggs are regarded as picnic food. You make 'em today to take to tomorrow's picnic.
I tried one of the leftovers today, cold from the fridge. Much nicer than last night. Another food that needs time for the flavours to develop.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:16:05 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2021, 08:15:31 PM »
Well, the verdict is in on the smoked eggs.
I rose late, and forewent breakfast.
I felt a bit peckish at 10:30, and looked in fridge for something to eat that required no preparation.
The smoked eggs beat the leftover scotch eggs in the mental coin toss.
I tried one.
Outstanding.
More-ish.
The heavy seasoning has melded well with the smoke.
The smoke flavour has permeated through the egg.
A+
Would marry perfectly with an ice cold beer.
Of which I have none.  :(
Besides, it is only 10:45 am. ::) and I never could drink before mid-day, even at the very heights (or should that be depths?) of my heavy drinking days.

These are a winner. No need for further experimentation. I'm pleased I recorded what I did, because I will be aiming to repeat not tweak.

My big problem now is that I made these to take with me tomorrow. I have arranged with some Saffers I know to meet up at a campground not too far away. I have biltong ready to go, and I made these eggs in the hope they'd make a good campfire and beers snack.
Now, I have to restrain myself until tomorrow night.
I'll try.  :angel:
Mick

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2021, 10:03:46 AM »
Tostada with beef, pork and veal Bolognese.  Pecorino, Parmigiano and olive oil.

John

Online FeCheF

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2021, 10:15:28 PM »
Tostada with beef, pork and veal Bolognese.  Pecorino, Parmigiano and olive oil.

Looks good. I would like to order a side of toast, and home fries.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2021, 11:59:07 AM »
Migas.  I ate them too quickly, no pic.
 :drool:

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member