A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What I've learned in a Year  (Read 1875 times)

Offline PizzaSean

What I've learned in a Year
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »
I celebrated my birthday just recently and decided to have over some friends and make up some pizzas...

Flour (100%):
Water (65%):
IDY (.33%):
Salt (2.25%):
Total (167.58%):
Single Ball:
3750.67 g  |  132.3 oz | 8.27 lbs
2437.93 g  |  85.99 oz | 5.37 lbs
12.38 g | 0.44 oz | 0.03 lbs | 4.11 tsp | 1.37 tbsp
84.39 g | 2.98 oz | 0.19 lbs | 5.04 tbsp | 0.31 cups
6285.37 g | 221.71 oz | 13.86 lbs | TF = 0.087125
628.54 g | 22.17 oz | 1.39 lbs

Mixed it all by hand and whatnot - all trumps flour - almost through my first 50 lb bag!  Used cold water, but did not record temp of anything this time.

Just a few pics were snapped here and there that night.  This is sad, because 9 pies were made and it would have been nice to get some better shots, but here are a few, below...

Some more words...

THANK YOU!  My birthday last year, I did a similar party, but on a store bought 15" thin stone that I had used for some years.  Whole foods premade pizza dough which was probably meant to stretch to more like 18" and so it was thick and bad.  400 something degrees F... cooked sauce with a bunch of stuff in it.  The list goes on....

So, after that party, I had had enough.  I didn't want weird thick pies that took forever and never came out quite how I wanted.  I found this site and you guys helped me get a real stone, real flour, real sauce (the simplicity of it has gone a LONG way) and real methods.  I spent the past year since doing occasional bakes with very similar things to the ones you see below, but given that it was my birthday and all, I decided to give this batch a new twist, inspired by some of chickenparm's recent work.  

introducing...

THE BROILER!

So my stone tended to get into the 530F range with my oven at 550F.  I fired up the broiler for a cycle while preparing toppings and when it turned off took the temp.  600F!  Not uniform across the stone, but in the center, and I think the edges ranged down to like 570s.  

This was pretty thrilling for me, since I've started becoming interested in getting the bake times down - I was in a 7-8 minute range even with the soapstone recently because I like the more charred finish.  But I hoped that this might help me get there a little quicker.  The silly thing is, in the commotion of guests and everything, I never once timed a pie going in and coming out.  That said, they also cooked to different doneness based on how I was feeling at the time.  

This batch used the Escalon 6 in 1 tomatoes for the first time and I did not add anything to them and they tasted great!  When I sampled it out of the jar, it was salty enough for my tastes - much saltier than the usual products I use are out of the can.  The broiler gave more char and color to the top crust as well as finished the pepperoni slices much more to my liking with a crispy edge.  

I can't think of any other info of interest, but feel free to ask if anyone has any questions...

Sean

p.s. my friend decided to include his face in the last shots for some reason haha.... anyway...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:45:26 PM by PizzaSean »

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
Re: What I've learned in a Year
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »
awesome pie.  Noticed you cut out the sugar from your previous recipes.  Are you still using soapstone?  That's expense stuff to buy.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:44:19 PM »
Excellent looking crumb.  It's obvious your friend is nuts over your pizza.  :-D

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
briterian -

yes, I did cut the sugar out.  I never noticed a considerable difference and have been trying to cut out any unnecessary refined sugars from my diet when I CAN control it easily (like in the recipe), since I am going to be having it here and there anyway. 

still using soapstone - got mine free, luckily...just kind of in the right place at the right time - love the soapstone and see no reason to change anytime soon!

the cheese is just a fresh mozz from a local supermarket.  Not even anything locally made, it's just Bialli or something like that... you see it around, at least in this region.  I don't remember the company, but next time I'm at the store, I'll snap a pic for here.

Jackie -

Thanks so much!  Getting some progress here I feel like.  I feel like with the summer here, I'm going to try to do some small run bakes and experiment a little bit with different recipes.  Different hydrations to begin with...

Sean

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
Sean,
The pizza looks great and you did a great job! I will use your recipe sometime too! Thanks for sharing!
 8)
-Bill

Offline soapysalsa

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 04:36:28 AM »
thanks so much for sharing what you'vve learned so far. Its super helpful. how big of a factor is using soapstone? Can it really make that much of a difference in heat for your crust? thanks again!

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:43 AM »
thanks so much for sharing what you'vve learned so far. Its super helpful. how big of a factor is using soapstone? Can it really make that much of a difference in heat for your crust? thanks again!

Hi soapysalsa,

The soapstone made a HUGE difference in my results.  I had previously been using a regular pizza stone like what you can buy at target... about 1/4" thick and not nearly as conductive as the soapstone, PLUS not able to tolerate running the oven as hot as what I did here (550F plus blasts from the broiler).

Hope that info helps...

Sean

wordpress