A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Almost There! Broiler Finish and 5 Minute Pie!  (Read 12328 times)

Offline communist

Re: Almost There! Broiler Finish and 5 Minute Pie!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
Bill, I like your pies.  I think our dough is very similar, that is 63% and 2 day cold ferment, and I am a fan of the 4 minute bake with broiler assist for 45 second. 
Good work!

Offline Moondance

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
Those pics look great to me.  So you are cooking it on the stone on the bottom rack and then moving it to the  screen and cooking it on the screen under the broiler?
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline Moondance

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
Those pics look great to me.  So you are cooking it on the stone on the bottom rack and then moving it to the  screen and cooking it on the screen under the broiler?

Never mind, I re-read and see that is what you did.  I may try that tomorrow night.  I have not been getting as much puffiness lately just staying on the bottom rack.  But maybe I'll try one rack down from under the broiler so I can see the pie through the oven window (as Pete mentioned). 

I look forward to reading about your next pies.
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 10:02:19 PM »
Bill, I like your pies.  I think our dough is very similar, that is 63% and 2 day cold ferment, and I am a fan of the 4 minute bake with broiler assist for 45 second. 
Good work!

Thanks Buddy....I have been noticing,my best pies are around 4 minutes..give or take.I have made a few high 2 minute pies but I was not very happy with the outcome.They were good,but did not taste fully cooked.I do need alot more heat and a better stone or steel.I keep saying that and then I dont order anything new for a while.
 :-D

So for now,depending on the pie size,and how hot the oven gets,a 3-5 minute pie is probably my best shot to get what I like best.I may try another pie to reach the 2 minute range again,but Im not convinced Its going to be what I want yet.I will still take pics and post progress,whether they are great or not.

:)
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »
Never mind, I re-read and see that is what you did.  I may try that tomorrow night.  I have not been getting as much puffiness lately just staying on the bottom rack.  But maybe I'll try one rack down from under the broiler so I can see the pie through the oven window (as Pete mentioned). 

I look forward to reading about your next pies.

Regina,as you can see,I have done the pies both ways.I cook on the stone,then move it up to a screen under the broiler,or I moved the stone up to the broiler area and finish the pie there.See my other NY threads about the 3 minute and 2 minute pies for more info.One I put on the second lower rack and it looked nothing like the top rack pie.If you need the link,let me know.

I will say,after about 2 minutes of bake time on the bottom stone,Im not getting any more real rim rise when I move it up under the broiler.I think its as high as it can go after 2 minutes on the bottom stone.The broiler bake just seems to cook the top faster,and brown the rim and cheese faster,or burn it like in some pics here and there if I am not careful.

I still have some figuring out to do.I can still make decent 5-7 minute pies and lower times as well,all depends if I use the broiler to finish the baking.If I had the heat or a surface that could cook the bottom rim around 1 minute or so,the broiler end bake could possibly finish it in under 2 minutes in theory.

That said,sometimes I just launch a pie onto the bottom stone and leave it there until done.Might take 5 minutes but it comes out when I visually see its done to my liking.Its going to take a few experiments to get the technique down on this oven to make 3-4 minute pies Consistently.

-Bill

Offline DrivenAgain

• Gems By J.Wade
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 06:57:55 AM »
Bill your pies look awesome!  We seem to have a similar cooking style.  :chef:  I'm also using KABF, Whats your dough formulation for these pies?

Jason

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
Thank You Jason!

I use a bread machine to make the dough.It does all the work really.
 :angel:

I use either KABF or I use Bouncer HG flour.Sometimes I mix them together 50/50 or 80/20.I'm still going back and forth because they each taste different in the end,and sometimes I want this flour made pie than the other.I use the lehmanns dough calculator just about every time I need to make a pizza and want to try a slightly higher or lower hydration or other change in the mix.Im not as advance as alot of folks are and this calculator does help me to stay consistent and learn faster.

With my bread machine,Dump the water and oil into the mixing bowl first. I use cool tap water or bottled water in the jug.

In another bowl,mix the flour,salt,IDY yeast and sugar together.

Dump that flour mix into the water and oil mix in the mixing bowl and press start.Thats all there is.I do check on the dough sometimes to see if it needs a little more flour or water,but so far,most doughs I have made with the calculator tools,always come out spot on.

When its done mixing I ball it up and put into an oiled bowl for the cold rise for 2-3 days,depending if I will be be having pizza that next day or two.

-Bill

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 01:50:17 AM »
I almost made a new topic,since Its a bad habit of mine.I make new topics,mainly,to put something new outside of my current experiments to let folks know I did something a bit other than what the topic calls for.

I decided to keep it here,since it was another 5 minute pie,and I used the broiler for about 45 seconds to finish the top.5 minutes cooked below,and 45 seconds under the broiler.

I ended up burning the fresh mozz cheese somewhat.Not a big deal,the pizza was so good,my family was asking me to do this one again soon.They loved it!
 :o

Whats different? I baked it on a 18 inch screen,placed ontop of the smaller 15 inch stone.I only had 8 ounces of fresh mozz cheese,so I wanted to see if I could make a pie that large work with a small amount of fresh mozz.I still got a nice rim rise and cooked bottom with my screen on top of the stone.

What made things a little easier,the fresh mozz,is the pearl cuts.The entire ball is already cut into small ball-like shape pieces,stuck together,like small balls of pearls,so nothing got wasted.

If anything,this amount of cheese size is probably better for a 16 inch or smaller,but still did the job nicely in the end.For me,I hated the fact the fresh mozz broke down alot and burned in a few places,but the end results was not noticable when eating to anyone.Besides that,I am really impressed with this cheese,and will use it soon for a smaller pie and faster cook time.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 01:52:15 AM »
Rest of the pictures.I cut the pie into 4 GIANT slices.After the pics were done,they were cut into smaller 8 slices.
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
Bill,

Nice job again, with your experimenting!   :)  Your talents sure are expanding!

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »
Thank You for the nice words Norma!
 :-[

I like trying new things with what little I may have at home or to use at times.I'm hoping it helps a lot of newbies that sign up see what was done and learned.

I think next time I make a pie this way,with this type of cheese,and finish with the broiler,I will bake the pie with sauce ONLY,first,and the last minute or two,add the cheese,and see if it melts to perfection to match the crust finish.I need to see if its doable that way.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »
I made another 14 inch pizza last night and topped it off with chicken parm pieces.I devoured the whole thing myself.Shame on me.The pics cannot do it justice,it was so good.Never had so much orange oil before either.It took me about 5 minutes to bake this pie.I did not use the broiler at all.The oven was on for about an hour and a half,I was busy doing other things before I made the pizza.At least it wasnt a boring cheese pie all over again!!
 ;D

Just so you know,the pizza is on the screen to cool off.I did not bake it on the screen at all.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:33:49 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline scott123

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 11:35:49 PM »
Looks good, Bill.

Cooked or uncooked sauce?  I don't put chicken parm on pizza, but when I put meatballs on a pizza, I like a cooked pasta-ish sauce.

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
Wow, looks great!

Matt

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:50 PM »
Looks good, Bill.

Cooked or uncooked sauce?  I don't put chicken parm on pizza, but when I put meatballs on a pizza, I like a cooked pasta-ish sauce.

Scott,

I did not use a cooked sauce for the pizza.I mixed a sauce out of Cento Puree.Believe it or not,I used your advice to me,from a while back,to add a little water to help the cheese bubble better.The puree was too much on the thick side to be used as is.Using a little water always did the trick!
 8)

The chicken parm on the pie,however,had a little tiny bit of cooked sauce stuck on it,from being leftovers from lunch earlier in the day.Normally,I make a few extra pieces of chicken parm breaded,cooked,with no sauce or cheese,and put to the side as a pizza topping for later.I use them in chicken rolls and calzones as well.I chop them up into small bites and they do a great job.

My kids ended up eating the chicken parm pieces I had set aside,so I only had a large piece leftover that had sauce/cheese already on it sitting in the fridge,that I cut up and spread around the pie.I did scrape off the cheese/sauce as much as I could before topping.The oily marinara sauce stuck to the chicken may have aided in the extra oil a little more.It was so good though!

Back in the mid '90's,alot of pizza places where I lived,began to offer different style NY pies with all kinds of toppings I had not seen before.Chicken parm was one of them.I loved it more than anything.This was a nice break from the same old menu year after year that had just a few toppings.

Another One of my favorites is a Pasta Pie served by a place I used to eat at.It had Rigatoni everywhere,tiny bit of (vodka sauce maybe?),finyl chopped onions,hint of garlic,white sauce/ricotta cheese sauce every where topped with with mozz and basil.It was incredible.One slice could seriously stuff you full.I could barely eat 2 slices of that stuff.

I may have the sauce terms wrong,I never asked them what it was called.Just describing the best I can remember.Its been many years.

There was one more I enjoyed,it had broccoli,spinach,white sauce,sliced tomatoes,red onions,garlic,basil,and a few other items I cannot recall right away.I hope to learn how to make some of those as well.Its been a long time since I had any of those.

As with the meatballs,one of my favorite places would put sliced meatballs on top of the pie.Some places put them on in sort of a dice form,little chunks here and there.All were really good from what I recall.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 11:32:40 PM »
Wow, looks great!

Thanks Matt! Pictures cannot do justice,I really loved it.I gotta watch the waistline these days too!
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »
Looking good  Bill.  That crust looks great as well.  So you are slowly working away from cheese only pies huh?  What's next, pineapple?  JK

Chau

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
Looking good  Bill.  That crust looks great as well.  So you are slowly working away from cheese only pies huh?  What's next, pineapple?  JK

Chau

Thanks Chau...

I will always be a cheese man first!

Seriously,

I have made other pies before with different toppings,but we ate them up and I never bothered to post pics of them.During pizza night we tend to have toppings such as grilled italian chicken,sausage,pepperoni,bell peppers,sweet onion,meatball or whatever there is they want at the time.

Recently,I decided to take pics of any pizza I make just in case something good comes out of it.Usually cheese only experiments save me time and money.If its nasty,Im not out too much work either.
These days they are just about all good so anything goes.

8)

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 12:49:19 AM »
Well folks...Im at the point to where I can't really make my NY style pies any better.But that wont stop me from trying new things.

I want to make more of a Neapolitan style pie,and hope to get there sometime soon.I have been making a few hybrids of a NY-Neo style pie the past week and if I can call it that,I'm happy with the results.

Sadly,I am unable to get my oven temps up there as of yet.600-620 degrees F if I am lucky,then a little broiler bake to finish the top.2-3 minute pies with the broiler just doesn't give me the taste I want nor the finish.4-5 minutes with the broiler is producing the best results so far.I had a few decent 3 minutes,but at the temps I cooked at,something was missing.

Anyway,here is a few pics of a Ny-neo style wannabe pizza I made.It was actually very good.The dough had no oil or sugar.Just Flour,water,yeast and salt.Fresh mozz ontop of the homemade sauce.

This was hard to brown and cook at the temps I had.Don't be fooled by the pics,the crust was alot lighter in color when I removed from the oven.It got a little darker when it sat out and the lighting also makes it look darker.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:51:24 AM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 02:34:48 AM »
I made another pie tonight and it decided to marry the stone.After 3 minutes of cooking on the stone,I used my metal peel to lift/turn the pie around and a small spot was stuck to the stone.So I was unable to rotate or move it to finish under the broiler.

So I left it there to cook about 6 minutes without the broiler finish.The fresh mozz cheese broke down and there was a small hole in the pie.I took the pie out and had to scrape a little bit to get it off.Lucky,it was a very small hole,but I really wanted to rotate the pie and then finish it under the broiler.

Maybe next time.This pie dough is the same as the recent one.No sugar or oil.14 inch,65% hydro,KABF,flour,water,yeast and salt.You can see how much lighter it was even by 6 minutes as compared to the former pie finished under the broiler.

-Bill