A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: in a cheese selection mess trying to make my lou malnatis  (Read 167 times)

Offline becryan

• I Love Pizza!
in a cheese selection mess trying to make my lou malnatis
« on: April 25, 2019, 11:26:59 PM »
so i got a dough and sauce recipe from here which i've made and i'm ready to try out tomorrow and am excited. now i realized i don't know what cheese to use!

i am trying to make a deep dish lou malnatis pizza. i'm using DKM's recipe. however it does not specify the best cheese to use. on some places I am seeing to use Whole milk low moisture and other threads I am seeing to use Part skim. I am curious between the two is there a better option? should it be a mix?

and once part skim or whole milk is decided, i am curious if there is a better brand, again I am seeing pros/cons for both of my options. to me I have available Polly-O and Galbani. I also know my w hole foods has their own low moisture mozz available in just their standard wrapping so not sure what brand it'd be.

so i guess if anyone could help me decide which to use between whole milk or part skim, and what brand would be better to go with.

thank you

Offline PizzaGarage

Re: in a cheese selection mess trying to make my lou malnatis
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 12:25:42 AM »
Whole is better for stretch and works better in this style pizza.  Part is also fine has less stretch however depending on brand can actually have better flavor.  A 50/50 mix is also fine and is a compromise between whole and part.  So, I would not stress the cheese issue too much, use whole and give it a try and see if you like it.  If you find it too oily, then go to a 50/50.  Keep oven temps at 425-450, if using a stone, place pan on a screen.  You might find some rise time will improve the texture even for an oil laden dough like this one.  With a 1 hour rise time at 90-95 degrees that crust can actually get lighter, but thatís sort of againt the rules with the Lou so maybe do that the second time around.

I prefer Galbani over Poly O, both are decent quality, neither are premium cheeses.

So for me my order of preference is:

Galbani cheese
  1 - Whole
  2-  50/50
  3-  Part skim

Offline becryan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »
thank you loads for your reply. i will do just that and as an aside i'm sure there will be many future modifications anyway once i get the hang of it so getting test runs out now will be part of the proces! i just felt overwhelmed, did not appreciate the cheese factor was so intricate and realized most places have their own direct dairy farmer and then there were recipes and examples i saw with one type and the other.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 02:56:46 PM »
i'm using DKM's recipe.

I am sorry to hear that.  I wish the site owner would delete that recipe, because it is probably the worst and least authentic recipe on here.

If you haven't already made the pizza, throw away that dough and start over, using any of these:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36964.0

Cheers!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T