A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results  (Read 166411 times)

Offline c4lin

• I Love Pizza!

So long as they own an iPhone or iPad.
Hey! Great work guys. Any updates on when could we find baker's/cake or IDY included in the app?

Thanks!

C

Offline c4lin

• I Love Pizza!
Hi all, I´ve just started an experiment to test the prediction model for a bake tomorrow night, will report back.

Notes:

- I am using cake yeast, I have to create a solution since my scale´s minimum weight is 1g, so I am dissolving 1g cake yeast into 99g water.
- I used 80% of the yeast % provided in Craig's chart, since I live in  Bogotá which is more than 8000ft of altitude, so less yeast for me.
- Room temp is 68F, so the amount of CY would be 0.075%, adjusted to 0.06% due to altitude, 20% less

For 6 balls, and a 29h rise I'm using:

Flour (100%): 988.76 g
Water (64%): 632.81 g  | Adjusted: 632.81 – 58.4g = 574.4g
CY (0.06%): 0.59 g | 58.4g solution
Salt (2.8%): 27.69 g

Hope this works!

C
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:55:40 PM by c4lin »

Offline c4lin

• I Love Pizza!
Updates. So these are pictures after 15h room temp. Don't think they will make it 29h, what do you all think?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
They might. Slow them down a bit with an hour in the fridge if you are worried.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline c4lin

• I Love Pizza!
They might. Slow them down a bit with an hour in the fridge if you are worried.

Thanks Craig, just put one ball in the fridge for 2h since it was going faster than the rest, weird enough,  this was the only one resting in a glass bowl, the others are in plastic Tupperwares. Here's a picture, any explanation for this? maybe the fact that the dough can go up the elevated walls??

C

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
It happens. Could be lots of things.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline c4lin

• I Love Pizza!
It happens. Could be lots of things.
all the rest are going slow and steady! that one is quite ready for baking, right?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:34:25 PM by c4lin »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
I think it could go longer.

Offline c4lin

• I Love Pizza!
Ok, update. 23h now, balls have expanded laterally, but the gas bubbles not much... Thoughts? These have been at room temp all along.

C

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
There is more bubbles in there than you think. You also need to estimate how much it has increased. If it's close to 2X, you are good to go. It look like it might be ready but could also go longer. It's hard to tell much from here. You just have to bake them and see how they come out. After you do it a few times, you will get a good idea what to look for.

Offline c4lin

• I Love Pizza!
There is more bubbles in there than you think. You also need to estimate how much it has increased. If it's close to 2X, you are good to go. It look like it might be ready but could also go longer. It's hard to tell much from here. You just have to bake them and see how they come out. After you do it a few times, you will get a good idea what to look for.

I plan to bake in 4h, so will cool them a bit... so for next experiment, I will try reducing yeast % by 25-30%...

C

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
Test and tweak. That's the best thing you can do. It won't take too many times to figure out what works for you.

Offline c4lin

• I Love Pizza!
So the dough was definitely over-risen... It wouldn't fall off the Tupperwares since all the bubbles create a web-like surface, very tough to dislodge and then open/shape... It would be anything but round when done dislodging. Flavor was great, but I think that's way too much rise...

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:10:07 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Hmmmm. Well, it tasted great....and it looks great...So, the problem is that..uh, uh....huh?

Offline jsaras

If all the sucky pizza in the world were like that we'd probably have world peace.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
From here it's just a matter of practice. After you make a few dozen, everything will be easy.

Offline c4lin

• I Love Pizza!

From here it's just a matter of practice. After you make a few dozen, everything will be easy.
Thanks guys, yeah, it's not really a lack of skill, not an expert of course! But these balls were almost impossible to dislodge, had to manually get them out, they need to come off cleanly to have a better shape!

C

Offline sallam

Re: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results
« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2015, 07:45:02 AM »
Great chart Craig. Question: by fermentation time do you mean only bulk fermentation, or is it total time including final proofing after shaping? (for example when making deep dish / al taglio pizza)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:53:18 AM by sallam »
I'm a home baker.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
Great chart Craig. Question: by fermentation time do you mean only bulk fermentation, or is it total time including final proofing after shaping? (for example when making deep dish / al taglio pizza)

Total time.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #259 on: August 22, 2015, 12:00:13 AM »
I was just reading this. I have 3 fresh yeast recipes that I use at times when in a pinch with 3 different fermentation lengths. This chart is incredibly accurate to what Iam using. This is really incredible work, bravo!