A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: need dough that can be shaped and frozen immediately  (Read 1439 times)

Offline mastafella

• I Love Pizza!
need dough that can be shaped and frozen immediately
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:36:04 AM »
Hi Tom,

I have a question which is very important to me and with your expertise I am sure you have come across a similar situation.

Basically, I have a tiny space to work with and my refrigeration is very very limited. I remember years ago working in a pizza shop that was known for very good quality and they did exactly what I think i need to do. I want to mix my dough, shape it on a pan, use some type of paper to divide, stack it, bag it and then put it in the freezer. Because I don't have space to have it proof for days and time to hand toss i need something good that I can whip out of the freezer and add toppings to very efficiently.

I am in great need of your help and if anyone else has ideas I am all ears.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

Offline mastafella

• I Love Pizza!
Re: need dough that can be shaped and frozen immediately
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:23:38 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I checked with the pizza shop I once worked at and we didn't make the dough in house it was done at head office and proofed of course and  they sent us the dough which we then shaped and froze.

If anyone has any suggestions on small space dough management it would be helpful.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »
mastafella,

I have a small pizza stand at a farmer's market.  I only operate one day a week in a space that is 8'x 13 ˝'.  I don't have a lot of refrigeration but I use the method Tom Lehmann told me about to put my dough balls in plastic food safe bags and twisted the bags in “pony tail” fashion.  That works for me since I don't have room for regular trays to cold ferment my dough balls.

Norma

Offline mastafella

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »
mastafella,

I have a small pizza stand at a farmer's market.  I only operate one day a week in a space that is 8'x 13 ˝'.  I don't have a lot of refrigeration but I use the method Tom Lehmann told me about to put my dough balls in plastic food safe bags and twisted the bags in “pony tail” fashion.  That works for me since I don't have room for regular trays to cold ferment my dough balls.

Norma

Hi Norma,

Thanks for your advice, so how much time do you need from the time you pull them out of the freezer?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:46:38 AM »
Hi Norma,

Thanks for your advice, so how much time do you need from the time you pull them out of the freezer?

mastafella,

I only freeze dough if I have leftover dough balls at the end of the day at market since I only operate one day a week.  Usually, I don't have a lot of dough balls leftover at the end of the day.  I then incorporate a couple defrosted dough balls into my next weeks batches of dough.  If you are interested in seeing how small my pizza stand is, (since you mentioned in your opening post that you also have a small space) I posted a video at Reply 162 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg310189#msg310189

If you want to read more about freezing dough balls more can be read at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20880.msg208745#msg208745 and at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29884.msg299011#msg299011

I have experimented with freezing dough balls like in the Mellow Mushroom thread, but don't normally do that.  I also have played around with frozen supermarket dough balls.  Usually I let them defrost in the fridge for about a day and then let them temper at room temperature until they have a least doubled in size.  Frozen dough balls can be left at room temperature also to be defrosted.

Do you still want to go with frozen dough balls or fresh?

Norma

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:00:48 AM »
The best pizza can be made from frozen dough balls.

How do you stretch your dough out? A machine could probably work with any type of dough. Hydration levels are a factor to consider when using your dough right out of the mixer. An autolyse should definitely make your dough more extendable but perhaps a bit more bready. If you are making thin crusts it might not matter as much though. If you use oil in your dough try adding it to the dough two minutes into the mix to improve extendability.