A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party Oven with a Cordierite Baking Stone  (Read 2557 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Pizza Party Oven with a Cordierite Baking Stone
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 08:10:45 PM »
I only have the saputo but recently got my hands on some whiteacre Greer firebrick.  I’d like to make my pizza party a “hybrid stone” oven by replacing one of the front stones with the WG. 

My question is this.  Since the WG are smaller I’m going to need some way to support them evenly.  I’m thinking of putting a couple pieces of 16 gauge steel (stainless?) underneath all of the stones, both for the WG and the Saputo. 

This will give me a more conductive area to finish pies on that haven’t quite finished on the bottom.

Thoughts?

I do it the way Mitch does with a cordierite stone on the biscotto, and it works really well. Personally, I wouldn't change out a tile.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Martianpc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 08:30:47 PM »
Awesome info, thanks. I'll stick with cordierite!

Offline bradtri

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 09:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I hadn’t checked the height difference yet but was hoping it was close.  The pizza party doesn’t have a continuous subfloor.  There are rails running lengthwise on each side and down the middle.  So, with smaller bricks I’ll need something to support them.  If I’m lucky maybe the steel will be just enough to boost the fb up to match the saputo. 
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline bradtri

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 09:11:58 PM »
I do it the way Mitch does with a cordierite stone on the biscotto, and it works really well. Personally, I wouldn't change out a tile.
Doesn’t that make it hard to manage the pizza in the back in the saputo?   I want to do the main bake on the saputo and then finish on the other stone.

We run so many pizzas through the pizza party when catering that I end up with too much heat on the top
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »
Doesn’t that make it hard to manage the pizza in the back in the saputo?   I want to do the main bake on the saputo and then finish on the other stone.

We run so many pizzas through the pizza party when catering that I end up with too much heat on the top

Sounds like yours is a different case. With the cordierite stone in place, I don't use the saputo at all.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »
Sounds like yours is a different case. With the cordierite stone in place, I don't use the saputo at all.

For clarity:  What is underneath your cordierite stone?
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »
For clarity:  What is underneath your cordierite stone?

Saputo tiles.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
For me, it's a this-or-that thing. NP or NY. The PP is awesome at both if set up with saputo tiles installed for NP and a cordierite stone at the ready for NY.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »
Saputo tiles.

Thx.  Same here.  Wanted to be sure I understood.

For me, it's a this-or-that thing. NP or NY. The PP is awesome at both if set up with saputo tiles installed for NP and a cordierite stone at the ready for NY.

Yep.  Although it is NP vs. not-NP for me - although a spat about "NY" can sometimes be entertaining but usually too much drama.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline phillypizzafan

• ...in it for the food!
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
Hi.
Has anyone tried this setup (stone over saputo) using the gas insert for the PP??

I have been using my PP Passsione for NP pies with a lot of success but last week, inserted some kiln shelves (supposedly cordierite) for NY pies because my wife prefers those. Was very hard to get good balance on the pies. Even at the lowest setting that the gas insert could support, the tops of the pies were done way before the bottom would get crunchy. To be clear, the edges were decently crunchy, but the bottom of the middle of the pies were still relatively soft. I played with a range of temps. The stones were anywhere from 650 to 850 degrees, but the air temps still torched the cheese. Tried it with the door off to cool the air, but the stone started dropping in temp, which defeated the purpose of trying to get more heat to the bottoms.

Also, I was only preheating for about 30 minutes with the gas. Longer and it seemed the stone temps were getting too high. The gas insert on the PP doesn't do "low" heat very well. Anything below medium and the flame just gives out for me.

Has anyone tried this with the gas option, or should I look to making wood fires for better balance?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

Eric
There are only so many meals left in life. Make every one count.

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Pizza Party oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party ovens official shop
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 04:41:35 PM »
with cordelite, i suggest to reduce the heating time, because the corderlite heating is very fast
Simone
UK/US site: Wood fired ovens and gas fired ovens Pizza Party

Official shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA and all taxes included

Pizza Party Facebook: Pizza Party lovers page

New Pizza Party lovers community: Ipizzaparty.it

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 06:02:42 PM »
For those of you that do this, do you build the fire next to the corderite stone and leave it there?

Offline phillypizzafan

• ...in it for the food!
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 06:25:30 PM »
with cordelite, i suggest to reduce the heating time, because the corderlite heating is very fast

Simone
Hi. Thanks for the suggestion, but not sure how that helps. I think I need to get more heat to the bottom of the pie. It's the air temp that is causing the top of the pie to be done before the bottom.
Eric

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2019, 04:16:16 AM »
to recap:
you cook faster the over the pizza, and the bottom isn't perfectly cook, when you use cordelite a the 650-850F
correct?
Simone

Official shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA and all taxes included

Offline phillypizzafan

• ...in it for the food!
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2019, 11:04:38 PM »
to recap:
you cook faster the over the pizza, and the bottom isn't perfectly cook, when you use cordelite a the 650-850F
correct?
If I understand you, yes. The top of the pizza is cooking too fast on a cordierite stone. The top is done (almost burning) and the bottom is still not done. The bake is about 3 minutes.

When the pizza goes in, I have the oven at its lowest setting. Any lower, and the flame goes out.

Eric

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »
I don't know cordelite well, because we don't like it very much, the most likely hypothesis is to increase the heating of the floor before putting it in the oven.
Simone

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 02:50:13 PM »
I've had good success using a 3/4" cordierite stone on top of the saputo. I've been running the cordierite at about 700F w/ a medium flame.

How thick is the kiln shelf you're using?

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 12:58:30 PM »
Craig,

While this topic is open, could you weigh in on this question...since the PP Passions is still on my maybe wishlist...gas option

My bakes usually  start hotter than they finish because I'm looking for one of the indefinable pies you note above...tender rim and crisp bottom..so my launch ...in BS..has been 700 to 800   then with lowered temps and flame, a total bake time for 4:30 to 6:30 minutes...

But I'd also like the option to do 2-3 minute bakes as well....actual NPstyle quite rare for me

What's my best stone option given those temps and longish times? Saputo with cordierite on top..or stock floor?...I like nicely browned bottoms but too much char is not so good here

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
What's my best stone option given those temps and longish times? Saputo with cordierite on top..or stock floor?

I'm thinking the stock tiles are the best bet and if they prove to be too conductive, get a fibrament stone to put on top of them.  When I was using my BBQ mod, my bakes were 2-3min at 725F on fibrament.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »
Thanks Craig!

wordpress