A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 22oz doughball pizza too thick  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Chet

22oz doughball pizza too thick
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:20:05 AM »
 I use Steel bakers recipe for Victory pig type pizza, the recipe is
flour 100% 791
64% water 506
2 % IDY     15.82
2 % sugar  15.82
2 % oil        15.82
salt 2 %      15.82

i make this recipe with cold water then in the fridge for about 6hrs and get to room temp for 2 hrs, put peanut oil down in a standard size pizza pan, i use my fingers to spread the dough, cover for about an hour then i prepare and bake at 450 for 12 min comes out great tasting but the dough is a little too thick, it is like 5/8" thick, i am looking for something thinner. what are some solutions, i was thinking of a 20 oz dough ball but not sure i would be able to spread the dough in the pan.  i am trying to figure how to control the thickness easier. possibly less IDY. please advise.....

Chet
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:01:10 PM by Chet »

Offline gelenn

Re: 22oz doughball pizza too thick
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:53:49 AM »
First of all Chet are your numbers correct or did you make a mistake, the salt, evoo, sugar and yeast you have at 2% but the grams shown are all 1%.  Again is this a mistake or are you actually using the grams listed to make your dough.
Glenn

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »
first of all chet, dough weight is irrelevant unless you are using the correct size. a 20oz doughball used for a 14" pie lands you at papa johns thickness whereas using it for a 16" pie puts you closer to a NY style thickness.   also, 64% of 1582g is not 506g.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Offline Chet

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
  Sorry i did mess up.. i corrected the flour, and Glen i used the pizza calc and 2% comes up with the weights i did use,

I use Steel bakers recipe for Victory pig type pizza, the recipe is
flour 100% 791
64% water 506
2 % IDY     15.82
2 % sugar  15.82
2 % oil        15.82
salt 2 %      15.82

i make this recipe with cold water then in the fridge for about 6hrs and get to room temp for 2 hrs, put peanut oil down in a standard size pizza pan, i use my fingers to spread the dough, cover for about an hour then i prepare and bake at 450 for 12 min comes out great tasting but the dough is a little too thick, it is like 5/8" thick, i am looking for something thinner. what are some solutions, i was thinking of a 20 oz dough ball but not sure i would be able to spread the dough in the pan.  i am trying to figure how to control the thickness easier. possibly less IDY. please advise.....

Chet

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:16:54 PM »
  Sorry i did mess up.. i corrected the flour, and Glen i used the pizza calc and 2% comes up with the weights i did use,

try basing it off of 362g of flour per ball. i usually use 375g at around 55-58% when going for ny style. just use the dough calculator, and change your hydration to 58% and you get 375g of flour. so we're pretty on par. and i'm pretty sure you'll get the results you're looking for with halving  your flour
Wherever you go, there you are.

Offline Chet

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
  Complex

How is going to 55-58% hyd going to have any effect of controlling the dough thickness, did i miss something

Chet

Offline drmatt357

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »
Chet, it seems to me that all your percentages should work. Maybe I'm missing something but if you want it thinner, can't you just use less dough or a larger diameter pie?

22oz. sounds like a lot of dough for for 1 pizza.  I use 13oz dough balls to make a 15" pie. That maybe thin for some but I'm sure it's somewhere in between.

Offline kdefay

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:57:10 AM »
I use 14oz dough balls for 15-16" pies.  I couldn't imagine using a 22oz ball.  That's like a loaf of bread with stuff on top.
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 05:50:54 AM »
I believe that what people are missing is that the pizza that Chet is attempting to make is intended to be baked in a 12" x 17" pan. Since Chet has not told us what size his pan is there is no way to answer his question. He needs to match the thickness factor to his pan size.

Peter

Offline kdefay

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 06:15:27 AM »
I believe that what people are missing is that the pizza that Chet is attempting to make is intended to be baked in a 12" x 17" pan. Since Chet has not told us what size his pan is there is no way to answer his question. He needs to match the thickness factor to his pan size.

Peter

Good observation, Peter. 
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline Chet

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 08:11:38 AM »

Sorry, being near Victory Pig in Wyoming PA i figured everyone knew it was the rectangular sicillian type, but i was wrong.... i mentioned Victory Pig pizza style is rectangular and the pan is the deep blue steel i believe Pete is correct on the size, i was going to chime in when i saw round pies ect.

Chet
ps what puzzles me is that they have 60 or 70 pans filled with the dough in racks, and i guess they are there a few hours. how are they controlling the thickness, are they pushing the dough back down with their fingers ect. i cannot imagine the first pan at 5 oclock and the last one at 8 oclock coming off the same rack being the same thickness, does it not have to rize in 3 hrs what is their secret or step i am missing, i know it is in the rising, or yeast, but cant put my finger on how they are controlling the same thickness pie after pie  i get lucky some times when i put the pizza in the oven a little sooner,

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 08:44:35 AM »
You should go in there and slyly talk to them about their pizza, perhaps they will divulge their secrets.

They might proof their dough after mixing and then refrigerate, then allow to come to room temp before baking, they might formulate the dough to withstand a few hours at room temp without blowing out, and they probably allow for some variations in pizza texture since 3 hours is quite a bit of time to yeast.