A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What is the main factor to a tender crispy crust?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline mohalfares

• I Love Pizza!
What is the main factor to a tender crispy crust?
« on: September 23, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »
I'm seeking a dough that's tender with slightly crispy exterior. Something close to Neapolitan pizza dough. What is the main factor here?

If I said check the correct answer:

- Flour type. It should be finely milled. That means any 00 tipo flour would probably give me what I'm looking for
- Heat temperature & time. More heat with less time is what I'm looking for, while low heat with more time leads to a tough dough
- Hydration percetange

Would it be possible to check one?

Offline TurkeyOnRye

Re: What is the main factor to a tender crispy crust?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 05:52:51 PM »
Old topic, but I want to know. I am having trouble obtaining a tender crust. What are the main contributing factors?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 06:24:31 PM by TurkeyOnRye »

Offline jsaras

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 07:05:03 PM »
Old topic, but I want to know. I am having trouble obtaining a tender crust. What are the main contributing factors?

What style of pizza are you hoping to make and what is your baking setup, dough formula, etc.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 04:00:42 AM »
I'm focused on Neapolitan, but have started understanding that tenderness as opposed to chewiness is also related to how you knead the dough.  If you make it too "tight", then the resulting pizza will tend to be chewy and rubbery.  The resulting dough should be soft, elastic, but not sticky, once you can start feeling it tensing up and getting hard instead of soft, you are on the way to chewiness (at least as far as I understand at the moment).

Maybe this can be alleviated by a longer apretto (the time it rises in the form of a ball), but so far I'm not convinced of this.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 04:13:07 AM by amolapizza »
Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria (Blue Bag), Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

A D V E R T I S E M E N T